Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Damn: I didn't make it.....
Quote | Reply
I just got an e-mailing for the random drawing for Alcatraz lottery. Didn't get in.

did any of you guys get in?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Jar Jar [ In reply to ]
Re: Damn: I didn't make it..... [IronFred] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I would gladly trade this lottery spot for one in Kona.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Damn: I didn't make it..... [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Three of us entered the draw and we all got in. Maybe the odds are beter for the international draw.
Quote Reply
Re: Damn: I didn't make it..... [Brent F] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. Interesting. Honestly, I presumed it would be rather easy to get in. Obviously in my case that wasn't right though.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With it selling out in minutes last year it is hard to tell how many people would put their name in for the draw. I didn't expect to get in so was plesently surprised.

Now, I need to figure out how to get some salt water swim practice when I live in the rockies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is a spectacular swim. I was told I hit it on a good year, but the water was like glass and the weather perfect.

Also, the current really did pull you toward the swim finish. Awesome. I remember having a very fast swim split.

The entire race was super cool. Five stars *****. You'll enjoy it. Good luck!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got lucky.
Quote Reply
Re: Damn: I didn't make it..... [objectiveous] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
too late to sign up for the lottery?
Quote Reply
Re: Damn: I didn't make it..... [KatyTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. It might be- I'm not sure.

The e-mail I got said something about another lottery on February 1. Maybe that is still open somehow.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gottcha! I know you're selling something. I just don't know what it is. Come on. Come clean. What are you selling this time? Why you no good....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom--Why don't you come down to Clermont on February 27th and get in the old fashioned way?

http://www.usat-ntc.com/events/greatescape.pdf

Two slots in your age group.
Quote Reply
Re: Damn: I didn't make it..... [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, I doubt I'm fast enough against that field.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im definitley not fast enough for the Clermont race and I'm signed up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shouldn't this be in the 'I have a fantasy about prison showers' page?

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Damn: I didn't make it..... [KatyTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, not too late, but you'll be on the waiting list lottery. That said, you may have a good chance. Everyone chosen this week has to register and pay by 12/31/04 or they lost their slot. I see some duplicates, plus I'm guessing there is a decent sized number of people who will not take the slot, so there is still a chance. Details and link to enter is at http://www.tricalifornia.com/alcatraz/2005/.

RANDOM DRAWING PROCEDURE:

1)     Interested triathletes must register online between November 15th (Link coming soon) and December 10th. Only one entry per triathlete please. Duplicate entries will be deleted from the drawing. You must register from your current address and state. All registrations will be screened for eligibility.

2)     Applicants will be entered into each of the different pools that they are eligible for:  

The first drawing will be for triathletes who have competed in 5 or more years at the Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon.

Those not selected will be added to the drawing for triathletes who have competed in 3 or more years at the Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon.

Those not selected will be added to the regular random drawing for triathletes who have not completed at least 3 Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon.

There will be special random drawing of one male and one female triathlete from each of the 50 states.

There will be an international drawing for those triathletes who presently live outside the United States.

All random drawing entries

3)     The first drawing will be held December 15 2004 with the results being posted online and e-mailed to the winners before December 16th at 5:00pm PST. 

4)    A second drawing will occur on February 1st, 2005. Athletes selected must go online and complete their application, pay their fees and receive their confirmation e-mail before February 28, 2005 at 11:59pm PST. 

All applicants not selected in the December 15 drawing are automatically included in the February drawing

Click here to enter into the February drawing (sign up for the waiting list)

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unbelieveably, I got a slot. I'm thinking it'll cost at least a grand for the trip from Michigan. Is it really worth the money?? Any thoughts?

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>Dude, I doubt I'm fast enough against that field.<<

The thing to remember about the qualifiers is that yes, only the top 2 in each AG gets a spot (for most AGs), and, there are also 8 random slots given away. Since you have to be there to claim all those spots, the odds might be better than you think.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: Damn: I didn't make it..... [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I made it, but none of my buddies did. Looks like a solo trip for me.

It's still worth the trip. Great race.

Dennis
Quote Reply
Re: Damn: I didn't make it..... [sc3826] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My inclination is to say that it is worth the trip. First, it is a beautiful city with excellent restaurants, awesome shopping and lots of things to do/see/experience.

Traffic is maddening but the street cars are a delight. Everybody on them is so nice. Very fun.

The race itself is incredible. By the time I was getting ready to jump off that boat I was just plain scared. I mean, how many people can say they swam from Alcatraz prison? (well, OK, technically a boat next to the prison...). the rest of the course is killer.

It is a pricey place to stay but worth it. Do some sight seeing while you're there. I drove across the bridge to Suasilito and had lunch in what was the most beautiful little cafe I have ever been in with a septacular view of the city and the bridges. Absolutely amazing and on par with anything in Paris, Rome, London or anywhere.

Alcatraz is one of the classic races that makes this sport great. If you have a chance to do it, do it!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting the info and the link, Cathy...just tossed my name into the hat for the drawing. We'll see what happens...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any sugestions on where to stay?

I haven't been to San Francisco in 20 years so don't remember much about the city.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your price requirement? That will help narrow things down.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: Damn: I didn't make it..... [migo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Im definitley not fast enough for the Clermont race and I'm signed up.
We can battle for last!
Quote Reply

Prev Next