Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Daily use of a watch- (specifically Garmin EPIX)
Quote | Reply
For those of you that use Garmin- how many use the watch pretty much 24/7 (daily to work, swims, running / biking, mowing the lawn, and so on)?

Does it seem to withstand the beating and keep on functioning?

Iā€™ve got a few buddies who use theirs only for bike/run and have another for swim, mowing the lawn, etc for fear that the ā€œnicerā€ Garmin will get gummed up from water, dirt / dust and whatnot.

Seems silly to have a really nice (expensive) watch and not use it 24/7 for fear it will die early.

What have your experiences been? Iā€™m not investing in something that Iā€™ll need to tip toe around.

Thoughts?
Quote Reply
Re: Daily use of a watch- (specifically Garmin EPIX) [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
YMMV - I have been consistently using the same Garmin watch (935) for approximately five years, wearing it daily and occasionally even while sleeping. I have a screen protector as a precautionary measure against damage to the face of the watch. The watch has been a extremely reliable, with nearly no change in both battery performance and overall appearance. Strongly recommend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been wearing my Fenix 5 sapphire every day for 5 years.
Last edited by: m@tty: Jun 10, 23 5:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wear my Vivoactive 4 as an every day watch. It takes a licking and keeps on ticking (wait, that was my old Ironman watch)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys!
Appreciate the feedback.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wore my Fenix daily and do the same with my Epix. I charge it once a week in about 45 minutes.

They do what they are marketed to do plus tracking stress and sleep on boring days and nights. The bezel does show more wear than Iā€™d expect but itā€™s purely cosmetic and a result of my clumsiness but the screen remains looking new.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a 7x24 wearer, except for showering. The only meaningful damage sustained is a solid scratch on the glass of my 935 from a fall while hiking. Its still going strong as a hand-me-down with a family member. Have an Epix now and it does everything I do without a second thought.

They are designed to be used hard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear my epix sapphire 24/7. The altimeter gave out after about 14 months. Outside of the warranty but Garmin still replaced it with a refurbished. They said the chlorine from swimming can damage the sensor and should be washed out after every swim.

No other issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Daily use of a watch- (specifically Garmin EPIX) [mynameiskory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mynameiskory wrote:
They said the chlorine from swimming can damage the sensor and should be washed out after every swim.

I wear mine in the shower after my swim, does that count? šŸ˜€
Quote Reply
Re: Daily use of a watch- (specifically Garmin EPIX) [m@tty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
m@tty wrote:
Been wearing my Fenix 5 sapphire every day for 5 years.

ditto - wearing a 'regular' fenix 5 daily (and nightly) for a few years now.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Daily use of a watch- (specifically Garmin EPIX) [mynameiskory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mynameiskory wrote:
I wear my epix sapphire 24/7. The altimeter gave out after about 14 months. Outside of the warranty but Garmin still replaced it with a refurbished. They said the chlorine from swimming can damage the sensor and should be washed out after every swim.

No other issues.

Iā€™ve had mine (Fenix 5) replaced twice. I rinse it well after every swim and the sensor still eventually diesā€¦known design flaw.

To the OP, they are great as an everyday watch. No reason to constrain them to workouts only. Also, get a screen protector off Amazon. I was in a major bike crash that shattered the protector, but the actual Garmin screen underneath survived without so much as a scratch.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear my 955 24X7
Before that I wore me 945LTE 24X7
Before that it was the 945, then the 935, then the 920.

My GF now wears the 945LTS 24X7, I sold my 945 to a person that wears it 24X7.
Quote Reply
Re: Daily use of a watch- (specifically Garmin EPIX) [Lehrn2Lose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I guess that would be my next question ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦. does showering afterwards not clean the sensor?
What does one do to properly clean the sensor?
Thx!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've worn by fenix3,5,6 and now epix gen2 - all the time. 24 hours, 7 days a week.

No problems at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just use a separate Garmin for chlorine pool swims
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been wearing my 920XT 24/7 for about 7 1/2 years, the only issue I've had was the stock Garmin straps would break after about 10-12 months. Switched to a cheap strap from Amazon, no problems for the last 4 years...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™ve got a dinosaur Fenix3 thatā€™s been going at least 9 years, between a friend and myself. I wear it 24/7, including R/B/S, pool, hot tub, steam room, sleep, shower, and gym workouts. Still going strong. Itā€™s been through 4 stock bands, one neoprene band, and currently on its 3rd fabric webbing band. The battery still lasts about 4 days, and made it through my last 14 hour IM. And, the altimeter still works.

Athlinks / Strava
Last edited by: Dean T: Jun 11, 23 10:57
Quote Reply
Re: Daily use of a watch- (specifically Garmin EPIX) [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Fenix 3 just hit its 8th birthday. Goes through a strap a year and sometimes has issues with connecting to the charger (I am on my second charger). One large scratch on the face from the corner of a granite countertop. Otherwise still going strong. Battery holding up much better than my 305 or Edge 520.

If I was shopping now and I was going to buy just for biking and running I would get a 965 over the Epix. Epix is meant to be a 24/7 watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Daily use of a watch- (specifically Garmin EPIX) [Math Drifter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To you and all 24/7 wearers - is there anything you do to avoid contact dermatitis, or are you just luckier than me?

I tend to get a patch of irritation after days/weeks/months continuous that then takes quite a while to heal. Lately Iā€™ve reduced the amount I wear the watch to hopefully avoid it - but I would like to find a better solution as it is my primary activity tracker since my (OG, non subscription) Oura ring went missing :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wear my 945 24/7. Only take it off to weigh every morning or to charge. Sauna, steam room, cold plunge, yard work, etc stays on. Got screen protector from Amazon. Still on original band going on 5 years. Only thing I had to replace is the ring on band that holds the excess band x2.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been wearing my 945 daily for 2 years now, before that was wearing a vivoactive 3 daily for years.
The main thing is to get a screen protector. I had almost cracked the screen of my 945 working under the house.
I also take it off when I shower. Otherwise, no complaints.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Daily use of a watch- (specifically Garmin EPIX) [Ing.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've switched to a fabric strap
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take it off to shower, dry my wrist well and wipe the watch down each time.

I also make sure I don't wear it too tight so it doesn't dig into my skin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps just lucky. Minor bits of irritation have happened but it's been very rare and has never persisted.

Similar to another response, I do rinse it in the shower after each swim session (~3x/week), and tend to dry my wrist and the watch reasonably well before putting it back on. I'm also on the bandwagon of nylon bands. Never had an issue with the silicone and irritation, I just find the nylon more comfortable and get a better fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ing. wrote:
To you and all 24/7 wearers - is there anything you do to avoid contact dermatitis, or are you just luckier than me?

I wear my 955 24/7 and before that the 945. I swapped to a fabric loop strap as I too found I had some irritation with it - I think for some, the plastic straps don't allow the wrist to breath so you end up with a humid area around the wrist all the time causing rashes etc.

Strap - https://www.amazon.com/...stinct/dp/B09BG4ZPMR

I clean my watch while I shower, by leaving it in the sink soaking with some warm water and liquid hand soap - I press the buttons and rub the sensor area and then just rinse it off with fresh water.

My only problem now is a massive tan line :)

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply

Prev Next