Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

DT Swiss 1400 DICUT in wind
Quote | Reply
A general question. I have been using these wheels since 2020. No issues with them and seem to be solid as a rock relative to other wheels I’ve had, Zipp and Revolver.

I do have one open question for anyone else who has them - these wheels claim to be predictable in the wind but I’m not so sure based on my experience. I’ve had a few “holy s*%t” moments and most recently had a serious speed wobble going down a winding descent which up until the last 1/100 of a second I was either going into a cliff wall or staging a dramatic fall to prevent that from happening. It’s got me thinking if anyone else found the same experience using the wheels? The ironic thing is - the USP are quoted as being more predictable in the wind
Last edited by: keepdrilling: Jul 18, 23 8:54
Quote Reply
Re: DT Swiss 1400 DICUT in wind [keepdrilling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode a arc 1400 62 in the front for two years and experienced the same as you did. Unpredictable and prone to catching wind.

I now ride an 808 firecrest (rimbrake, old version) and have way more confidence. The difference is night and day. Even on high speed descends with high winds i’ve never been thrown around as i did with the dt swiss’s.
Quote Reply
Re: DT Swiss 1400 DICUT in wind [keepdrilling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had ARC 1100’s in 80mm and 60mm in my P5 and had many light speed wobbles rear, but also front. But also they catch quite a lot of wind. I more or less got used to it, but…….no riding a Cadex with the 4 spokes and the difference is so shocking. That bike wheel combo is ridiculous stable. We have had some very windy days last few weeks and all those things that happened with the ARC’s is no longer there.

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: DT Swiss 1400 DICUT in wind [Fusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Out of curiosity, what tires did you pair with them? I’ve been playing around recently and have noticed some 25mm tires make my Zipp 404s far more unpredictable than my SwissSide 800s with a specific 23mm tire. Has anyone else noticed this tire/wheel interaction?
Quote Reply
Re: DT Swiss 1400 DICUT in wind [22kjackson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use 25 mm Conti 5000s front and back. I run DT Swiss 1400s with a 60 mm front and 80 mm back. Rock solid and very predictable in wind. I ride in the Chicago area with lots of heavy swirling wind and the only time I felt nervous on these wheels was IMWI 2022 with heavy downpour and 20 mph winds with gusts much stronger. And the nervousness was maybe 1-2 miles of 112. like them so much I just grabbed an 80 mm front. I do ride rim brakes.
Quote Reply
Re: DT Swiss 1400 DICUT in wind [slippy01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know if you're riding the newer (I believe mid-2020 onwards) 1400s with the 20mm inner rim width or the older version with the 17mm inner width? I believe that 3mm difference in rim width paired with tire width is responsible for the stability, or lack thereof, that people are experiencing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so the wider or more narrow rim with the 25mm tire would be an issue? I can't find the spec on the inner rim, but was stock on a 2020 Canyon closeout so I would assume its the narrower version. my 'new' 80 mm is the 17 version (closeout- I'm on rim brakes).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
found it. been riding 17mm with 25 conti 5000
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting... my thought was that the 25mm tire on a narrow 17mm wide rim causes a little more of a lightbulb shape. With 23mm wide tires, I find the sidewalls are more vertical and I had assumed that this was helping stability. I have tried Conti GP 5000TT (25mm), Schwalbe Pro One TT (25mm), and Pirelli P Zero Race TT (26mm) and all of them have had poor handling in any wind compared to Conti GP 5000 (23mm) and Veloflex Record (23mm) which handle very well even in more windy conditions. This is also with the older, 17mm internal SwissSide 800 rims. I guess the only real takeaway here is that if you are experiencing handling issues, give a narrower tire a try?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I know I am excited to give my new 80mm front a ride!
Quote Reply