Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
DQ'd at Arizona..really?!@
Quote | Reply
So my training buddy enters IM Arizona this weekend. Its his first IM distance. He kicks ass, finishes in 9:30 and qualifies for Kona (55 overall). BUT he had awful chafing from his Jersey and in bike to run transition takes off his shirt. The volunteer's tell him he is good to go. he is with the female leaders and there are plenty of officials none of whom mention to him that he needs a shirt. It is only after he finishes and is celebrating that he his told he is disqualified. I think this is so lame..i mean its not like he had a competetive advantage..and maybe someone could have given him a heads up...
Quote Reply
Re: DQ'd at Arizona..really?!@ [fxjeffrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He should have read the athlete's rulebook. It clearly states he needs to be wearing a shirt.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep DQ'd. perhaps the rookie should have spent 10 minutes reviewing the rules manual.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the Friday athlete meeting it was stated that males needed to wear a shirt or man-kini type top. Women could wear just a sports bra if they wanted.

Was his shirt off just in transition or during the start of the run (ie did he cross the timing mat)? If just in T2, that seems like BS, since many people are changing/topless. If he started the run without a shirt, then the DQ is warranted (if that is what the rules state, I am not an official so I don't know). I don't think it is the officials job to remind everyone of the rules; they are there to enforce.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is clearly stated in the rules.

Not the race organizers fault if he doesn't read them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really feel for your friend and at first glance it seems really unfair. BUT it is his responsibility to know the rules. The volunteers are not there to referee the race and do not know the rules. For instance, my husband was a volunteer on the run and he has NEVER competed in a triathlon. There are many volunteers out there like him. It is too bad that someone did not warn him, maybe a fellow participant. I do feel bad for your friend though, that really does suck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ignorance is not an excuse
Quote Reply
Re: DQ'd at Arizona..really?!@ [tri2112] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thats my point..a simple reminder would have avoided the whole problem
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At the race rules meeting at B2B the USAT dude there said that once the gun goes off, the officials will not talk to the athletes at all. They are there to observe and take notes. They will not answer questions or acknowledge you in any way.;
Just as referees should be.
Sounds like a justified DQ to me.
Quote Reply
Re: DQ'd at Arizona..really?!@ [Telvor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
too bad asi didn't get any photos of them breaking the news.
Quote Reply
Re: DQ'd at Arizona..really?!@ [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
he know's its his fault..but it just seems lame since, again, it gave him no advantage..i wonder why they have that rule
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It really seems odd to me that someone who can go 9:30 wouldn't know of the shirts required rule. Still, I feel for the guy. Tough break. I think (not sure) that the rule might be related to communities not wanting to see "half naked" men running around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure I saw him on the run. Thought to myself:

"Hm....I didn't think that was allowed. Guess they're not doing that here."

Guess they were.

-Jot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do you go through that much training, see people get DQ'd in Kona, go to pre-race meetings, and not pick up on this rule? At some point it has to dawn you you that no guys are running without shirts.

Nevertheless, that is horrible news for your friend and someone could have easily helped him out. Wish they would have.
Quote Reply
Re: DQ'd at Arizona..really?!@ [:D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, he is just started triathlons two years ago (he is 30), he isnt a "fan" so he doesnt watch a lot of races. He is just an incredible athlete who likes to train. so when he missed the pre-race meeting he screwed himself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, let's DQ ripped 9:30 guys for not wearing shirts, but allow people to draft their asses all the way to T2 and get Kona slots.

While I understand the reasoning behind the rule, I question the application of enforcement in areas that are meaningful vs not.

Its not like the removal of the shirt hurt anyone's eyes and it certainly has zero impact on giving one clothed guy a competitive disadvantage vs a semi clothed guy.

Maybe your buddy should run a marathon, do an Ironman and run a marathon to pay the penance for his transgression of the law. Finman has an event already set up for this!!!

I also question cops setting speed traps to nail guys going 50 kph through a school zone at 11 pm right at the edge of town. It just seems the application of the limited "enforcement resources" is always misplaced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not gonna jump on the self rightious "it's against the rules" bandwagon, blah blah blah whatever. It's a STUPID FUCKING RULE. Dev pointed out that there are much bigger infractions that fly right under the radar. Why is it a rule anyway? That's bullshit man. Sure he should have read the rule book and all the other stuff the peanut gallery is spouting off, but damn, take a guys Kona slot for that?

I call bullshit.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Triathlon is for people who can't handle drugs and alcohol." -IMFL t-shirt

The Dude Abides...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it is a rule, but seems a like a little common sense should have been applied. Lame of the officials to !DQ! someone for this when there's people drafting their ass off out there cheating in plain sight.
Quote Reply
Re: DQ'd at Arizona..really?!@ [Raul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Didn't the OP say the people in T2 told him he was "good to go"? Yes, he should know the rules, but lately WTC has been changing the rules on the fly. By T2, your brain is pretty well mush and you start taking direction without questioning it. I would have a serious beef with the "volunteers" and bad direction, especially over a Kona slot.

And about an unfair advantage, I disagree, having a shirtless run is definitely an advantage, especially for the athletes that over heat easily.

And I have no problem with women running shirtless either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a specific rule that says you need to be wearing shorts? (or anything to cover the bottom half)? Cause I've never heard that at a pre-race meeting and in the event i have some bowel troubles....losing the shorts could be a nice way to alleviate the problem.

I guess that's public nudity.
WTC needs to move away from a "rules" based approach and implement a "principles" based approach. That way we can use our judgement as to what constitutes an infraction on each and every principle. Or maybe it already is and WTC allows drafting in some races since it is not within their means to monitor it effectively.
Last edited by: IanH: Nov 26, 09 14:08
Quote Reply
Re: DQ'd at Arizona..really?!@ [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rules are rules, it sucks but you need a shirt

---------------------------
"This wheel definitely beat the 808 in this test, no question, and I do commend Hed on producing a really fast wheel...the wheel is fast, I am not disputing that." - joshatzipp on the Stinger 9
My Website
HEDmafia.com
Quote Reply
Re: DQ'd at Arizona..really?!@ [Pedalsaurus_Tex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
yep DQ'd. perhaps the rookie should have spent 10 minutes reviewing the rules manual.

Yeah..........stoopid rookie. doesn't he know that you have to be a veteran/Pro to get away with breaking the rules. If a rookie gets caught, he's DQ'd. If a Pro discards equipment on course, drops trash on course in non designated areas, wears SEE thru clothing.........blah blah, etc etc, well.........even when its shown on international TV, its still totally overlooked by the ruling body.

MONEY.

persequetur vestra metas furiose
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tough luck on a stupid rule
Quote Reply
Re: DQ'd at Arizona..really?!@ [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devashish makes my point, guys draft all day and get a dirty look, someone has an honest race, smokes the course and is denied a trip to kona over showing some skin
Quote Reply
Re: DQ'd at Arizona..really?!@ [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Didn't the OP say the people in T2 told him he was "good to go"? Yes, he should know the rules, but lately WTC has been changing the rules on the fly. By T2, your brain is pretty well mush and you start taking direction without questioning it. I would have a serious beef with the "volunteers" and bad direction, especially over a Kona slot.

Yup, another classic example of "no personal responsibility" at it's finest. The volunteer can say whatever the hell they want to say. It's the racers responsibility to know the rules.
You really think some 60 year-old local guy that volunteers his time for the racers should know every rule so he is able to tell each racer what they are or are not doing correctly? Come on.
And I agree, it is a stupid rule and I completely agree with Dev. But until the rule is no longer on the books...better know it.
Quote Reply

Prev Next