Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: DQ'd at Arizona..really?!@ [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I agree with roadhouse on this one !!!!!!

WOW!!! I'M MAKING PROGRESS!!! I NEED TO SEE MY PSHYCIATRIST NOW!! I THINK A FUDGE BROWNIE A LA MODE WILL SUFFICE NICELY!!! ;0

It's not about the bike, it's just along for the ride.
Quote Reply
Re: DQ'd at Arizona..really?!@ [fxjeffrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your friend is a "COMPLETE IDIOT", know the rules and regulations no excuses!!! he was also probably a gifted student in 4th grade and won awards for 20th place, oh oh blame society!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: DQ'd at Arizona..really?!@ [HiKai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Your friend is a "COMPLETE IDIOT", know the rules and regulations no excuses!!! he was also probably a gifted student in 4th grade and won awards for 20th place, oh oh blame society!!!!!

Not to self: the person who just posted this nonsense is not worth shaking hands with so don't.

Quote Reply
Re: DQ'd at Arizona..really?!@ [roadhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes my road hugging friend that triptowhatever stuff from the turkey is like a happy pill. LOL.....

Re: DQ'd at Arizona..really?!@ [bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yes my road hugging friend that triptowhatever stuff from the turkey is like a happy pill. LOL.....

I KNOW!!! :=)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The rule was originally put in place by IMNA over 10 years ago. They wanted everyone covered up for all the TV, media coverage.
Quote Reply
Re: DQ'd at Arizona..really?!@ [Marcel_B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
was he in 40-44 male?
did it happen after Kona rolldown?
i was next in line to get slot so i am still hoping..........
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
he know's its his fault..but it just seems lame since, again, it gave him no advantage..i wonder why they have that rule
Because no one wants to see your buddy or 90% of the participants out there running around topless.

-- Aaron Davidson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stupid is as stupid does.
Quote Reply
Re: DQ'd at Arizona..really?!@ [D2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, let the guy run shirtless. Guy who finishes behind him in AG & misses out on Kona slot. Guy files an appeal (which is allowed under USAT rules for misapplication of the rule). Hearing takes place. May be media gets wind of it. Bitching takes place on ST because rule was not enforced. We as Americans are so frakkin' self-centered. Nearly every other country has adopted ITU rules that REQUIRE a shirt. Aren't we just so special?

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: DQ'd at Arizona..really?!@ [Raptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
....wtf? ...Seems like a double standard to me...

Dev, are you saying the USAT officials saw the infraction (drafting) and ignored them?

So what is the answer Dev? Are you accusing USAT officials of not enforcing the drafting rule when they see it? Those are pretty serious charges you are making against the USAT.

I can only speak for Clearwater. The answer is yes. I saw huge packs (5 of them) pass me, and in at least one case the marshal pulled up and did ZERO. I'm taking Cathy's word that things were different at Arizona and therefore commending Jimmy. I don't believe that USAT provides the marshalls at Clearwater or Arizona though. I thought it was WTC
Quote Reply
Re: DQ'd at Arizona..really?!@ [roadhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great question, was the guy with the kid across the finish line DQed? Or as Dev says, selective enforcement?

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: DQ'd at Arizona..really?!@ [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Your "police" example sucks : )

Read the sign.........the speed limit in school zones is only valid starting just before and ending just after school lets out, and that does not include 11pm : )

Not in Canada. Or at least everywhere I have been. It is a set limit all the time.

I think that his example would probably be only relavent in a year-round school with a playground in Yellowknife in the summer. I know that in Alberta, school zones are 30kph during the posted school hours and playground zones are 8:30 until 30min after dusk. In BC, school zones are similar to Alberta, I'm not sure I've ever seen a playground zone and cars often don't stop at flashing crosswalk signs either.

Going back to the post. Perhaps IMAZ is working on the 'Broken Windows' theory and has adopted a zero tolerance policy on shirtlessness in hopes of controlling drafting.

He clearly broke a black-and-white rule that he should have been aware of. It's very unfortunate that he lost a spot in Kona but it's his responsibility to know the rules and he erred in seeking guidance from a volunteer. That's like asking the guy selling popcorn at the hockey game if you're offside. Besides, I don't care how fast or ripped you are, shirtless = tacky.
Quote Reply
Re: DQ'd at Arizona..really?!@ [Raptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
... Great work Jimmy!

Maybe your statement should have been in pink fonts?

No, if Cathy says that they did a good job with drafters at Arizona, I'll take her word, so no pink font required.

I can't say that Jimmy's guys were able to keep things under control at IM Florida and Clearwater and I was using these recent events where enforcement of drafting was weak at best, to use as gauge in talking about the enforcement of shirtlessness at another WTC event being "over the top" (literally).
Quote Reply
Re: DQ'd at Arizona..really?!@ [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kinda missed the point. Someone should have told him to put a shirt on. To me, common sense would dictate that a warning is reasonable considering its just a freakin shirt. In the grand scheme of things its not that big of an infraction, especially when it sounds like he thought he had permission. Against the rules? yes but a DQ without any warning? that's bs. If they had given him a penalty for it, fine. If he had ignored instruction to put a shirt on, fine. But to DQ the guy when he finishes when he's been running for 3 hours without any warning seems a little harsh.

I've done my share of IMs and seen some pretty stupid shit out there. (drafting, abandoned equipment, trashing the course, pacing on the run, ipods blah blah blah) That shit pisses me off every time I see it and I agree, rules are rules. But DQ just seems a little steep to me under these circumstances.

ps, I'm not American. Was the runner? I'm not sure that has anything to do with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stupid rule and sucks for your buddy.
Just tell him to do another IM, draft into T2 and pick up his Kona slot.
Quote Reply
Re: DQ'd at Arizona..really?!@ [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes- different rules - the race Greg was in was not an Ironman race. USAT rules allow athletes to not wear shirts. Ironman rules state that you MUST wear a shirt. Z
Quote Reply
Re: DQ'd at Arizona..really?!@ [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good thing I read this before I do my first Ironman. You would think there would be uniform rules but I guess not.
Quote Reply
Re: DQ'd at Arizona..really?!@ [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Didn't the OP say the people in T2 told him he was "good to go"? Yes, he should know the rules, but lately WTC has been changing the rules on the fly. By T2, your brain is pretty well mush and you start taking direction without questioning it. I would have a serious beef with the "volunteers" and bad direction, especially over a Kona slot.

Yup, another classic example of "no personal responsibility" at it's finest. The volunteer can say whatever the hell they want to say. It's the racers responsibility to know the rules.
You really think some 60 year-old local guy that volunteers his time for the racers should know every rule so he is able to tell each racer what they are or are not doing correctly? Come on.
And I agree, it is a stupid rule and I completely agree with Dev. But until the rule is no longer on the books...better know it.

Not sure which races you have volunteered at or directed, but the ones I work, we school our volunteers on their job and to neve give info they don't know about, especially in transition. We also have directors or assistants that know the rules at the entrance and exit of transition, mostly to make sure they go over the timing mats, but also to stop someone without a race number, shirtless, flat tire, still wearing wetsuit. I didn't say it wasn't the racers responsibility, I just said that I would have want to talk to someone in regards to bad information, especially regarding a Kona slot. I think it is also the racers responsibility to know as much of the rules as possible. But like I said, there are changes being made to event rules on the fly. Didn't WTC want to ban compression socks at Kona this year and then it was reversed? Tell me that wasn't confusing.
Quote Reply
Re: DQ'd at Arizona..really?!@ [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Great question, was the guy with the kid across the finish line DQed? Or as Dev says, selective enforcement?

Dave

I don't know the answer to that but I'd like to. I want to say that it was around the 14th hour that this occurred but I'm not too terribly sure.

Last edited by: roadhouse: Nov 26, 09 18:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watched the guy who received your training buddy's spot register for Kona the next morning. We should ask him to share his thoughts on this ... when he free from training for IMH ...
Quote Reply
Re: DQ'd at Arizona..really?!@ [prattzc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure they can change the rules - however as long as you attend the MANDATORY pre-race athlete meeting. You should be OK.
Quote Reply
Re: DQ'd at Arizona..really?!@ [D2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

kinda missed the point. Someone should have told him to put a shirt on.

Someone did, more than once. Its in the athletes guide and it was specifically mentioned at the atheletes meeting on Friday. They do not have a race official in the change tent to remind people of the rules. The volunteers do not know the rules. They are only there to help. If I had been there at the time I would have told him to go put a shirt on, its unfortunate that no one did. I was asked about the rule in the bike lot before the swim and I told the athlete that yes you must wear a shirt. Must have been a different guy.

Quote:
ps, I'm not American. Was the runner? I'm not sure that has anything to do with it.

He's from Sacramento, California, USA not that it matters.

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Re: DQ'd at Arizona..really?!@ [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So can you do a WTC race and swim without a shirt on? Will that result in a DQ?

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Last edited by: bad929: Nov 26, 09 20:10
Quote Reply
Re: DQ'd at Arizona..really?!@ [IanH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
. . .Is there a specific rule that says you need to be wearing shorts? . . .

Wildflower has a no-thong rule. Got to love a race that has to impose a no-thong rule.

-Marc
Quote Reply

Prev Next