Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

DI2 Newbie. Cannot get into manual shift mode
Quote | Reply
I've got a brand new bike. Against my better judgement, I went electronic shifting, Dura-Ace DI2 9150 on it (Edit: I checked the derailleur to verify it is 9150). Now I'm having difficulty completely disabling the synchro-shifting. This is my first time with Di2 so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong.

The guys who built it told me they put it into Synchro-Shift mode 1, which I was told means that it basically won't go into the smallest two cassette rings when the front chainring is in the small ring. I tried that for one ride and that's not for me so I'd like to put it into manual mode.

So I double-clicked the little "mode" button on the handlebar to move to "Manual Mode" (both lights solid).

But even that mode does not do what I want. When I click the left shifter to downshift up front I would expect a "Manual Mode" to downshift up front even it puts me into into cross-chain. But if I do that while in the biggest gear on the bike (so smallest cog on the cassette) it instead just shifts the back to a larger ring. It's still trying to "help" me.

I thought that maybe I hadn't truly entered Manual mode so I started cycling through all 3 modes and trying this. Same effect on all of them.

Is there some other thing I have to do to get into manual mode? Or could the guys at the shop have somehow programmed manual mode out of this thing?
Last edited by: JoeO: Nov 26, 20 12:19
Quote Reply
Re: DI2 Newbie. Cannot get into manual shift mode [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What shifters do you have? If they're one button shifters, there is no manual mode option like you want. If you have two button shifters, I'd just recommend getting the etube application and looking into the shift settings.
Quote Reply
Re: DI2 Newbie. Cannot get into manual shift mode [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry they're these ones. Hydraulic dropbar ones. The photo is from a review of 9170 but that's what I have. My derailleur does say 9150 on it. So two levers to click on each hood, somewhat like traditional mechanical shifters

Last edited by: JoeO: Nov 26, 20 12:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, well in that case they may have programmed pure manual mode out of it, but it should be really easy to program back. Hopefully someone else can chime in and tell you how because my di2 is 6770, so only one shift option :P love it though, shifts so nice, and the ability to shift any gear with one finger is also pretty great
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DI2 has three modes of operation, synchro, semi-synchro, and full manual. What you are describing is semi-synchro. You may be able to switch to full manual simply by repeating the process that you used to switch from synchro to semi-synchro if full manual has been enabled on your system. If it hasn't, you will need to use E-Tube project - either the app or the computer version - to change the setup of your system.

There's a good primer on how this all works here.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: DI2 Newbie. Cannot get into manual shift mode [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I hope I come to like it but I have to admit I did not like my first ride at all. The challenge of mechanical shifting is sort part of the appeal of cycling to me. But I was buying an aero bike and wanted as few wires as possible. I will take it back and have them install the bits to let me control the configuration.
Quote Reply
Re: DI2 Newbie. Cannot get into manual shift mode [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
DI2 has three modes of operation, synchro, semi-synchro, and full manual. What you are describing is semi-synchro. You may be able to switch to full manual simply by repeating the process that you used to switch from synchro to semi-synchro if full manual has been enabled on your system. If it hasn't, you will need to use E-Tube project - either the app or the computer version - to change the setup of your system.

There's a good primer on how this all works here.

Thanks. I did read that. Even watched a video or two. I cycled through all 3 modes so I have to guess that they disabled full manual. No worries, I was going to go back for some adjustments anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I think that the default setting for DI2 shift logic mapping from the factory is Synchro> Semi-Synchro > null, but I'm not 100% sure. It's been a while since I worked on "stock" bikes; we were re-mapping in the factory at the last place I worked.

FWIW, this is definitely well in the realm of DIY for most folks. Load E-Tube project onto your computer, hook the computer up to your DI2 charger, plug the charger into your computer, have at it. As long as you remember to *always* disconnect before unplugging, it's pretty tough to screw things up.

I don't recommend using the wireless/app version. It's very common for the wireless signal to drop connection, and this can be a pretty big deal due to the aforementioned need to *always* disconnect before unplugging. YMMV.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Last edited by: fredly: Nov 26, 20 12:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:
I think that the default setting for DI2 shift logic mapping from the factory is Synchro> Semi-Synchro > null, but I'm not 100% sure. It's been a while since I worked on "stock" bikes; we were re-mapping in the factory at the last place I worked.

FWIW, this is definitely well in the realm of DIY for most folks. Load E-Tube project onto your computer, hook the computer up to your DI2 charger, plug the charger into your computer, have at it. As long as you remember to *always* disconnect before unplugging, it's pretty tough to screw things up.

I don't recommend using the wireless/app version. It's very common for the wireless signal to drop connection, and this can be a pretty big deal due to the aforementioned need to *always* disconnect before unplugging. YMMV.

Thanks. I glossed over the programming section in that article about programming because I incorrectly assumed all programming was wireless.

I just now installed the software to see what it's all about but since I don't have the Shimano SM-PCE02 programming device the article talks about it won't even let me poke around to see what it offers. I guess I'll have to order the PCE02 but in the meantime, do you know if the software allows me to program custom chainring combinations? Because I've typically run a 50-36 on my other DA crank on another bike but that's not a standard Shimano combination. It will be a bummer if I have to stick with 50-34.
Last edited by: JoeO: Nov 26, 20 13:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't need a PCE02 to change mapping or for other "basic" functions, that's just required for more advanced diagnostic work. The charger that came with your system (probably a SM-BCR2) will work just fine for what you're looking to do. Plug micro USB cable into it, connect that to your computer and you should be good to go.

Yup, you can change chainring sizes around. You'll be fine with 50/36, I'm running that on one of my bikes now.
FWIW, there are built-in cross-chain protections that attach to certain chainring combinations (meaning, the system just won't let you shift into them) and you can kludge your way around them by inputting a different combination than what you're actually using.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They didn't give me the charger. Or the cable. Gave me all kinds of other stuff but not that.

Damn. I never even noticed. Looks like I'm going back tomorrow regardless..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoops! Yeah, that's definitely a problem. They should definitely get one to you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah... a charger would be useful - you'll have to charge it at some point ;-)

As fredly said, you can use the charger to connect the bike to a windows computer. Now... I have already updated most pages on the site to their E-Tube 4.0.2 versions (screenshots and text), but you should NOT use E-Tube 4.0.2 at this time. It is buggy and doesn't play nice with the SM-BCR2 charger.

The download link for E-tube project 3.4.5 is still available on the e-tube site though, right next to the bigger e-tube 4 button :).
There's also an "important notice" all the way at the bottom on the e-tube project page stating that you should not use 4.0.2 with the charger.

Now... since you're asking about using the "smallest two cassette rings when the front chainring is in the small ring" - I think you're referring to what Shimano call Gear Position Control.
Depending on the chain ring and cassette configured in E-Tube Project, they block these gears in software. Changing to a different shift mode won't change this.

This is done to prevent the chain going too slack on modern frames / Di2 derailleurs.

Depending on the settings done in E-Tube you can actually disable Gear Position Control yourself.

There is a bit more information on Gear Position Control right here: https://bettershifting.com/...all-ring-adjust-gpc/ ;-)

Regarding different chainrings / cassettes: E-tube will only let you program / set up the ones Shimano offer in your Di2 component series. This doesn't really matter though, people use different or third party components all the time. I generally recommend people select the closest match.

The only things selecting chain rings / cassettes do, as far as I know:

- Enable/disable Gear Position Control
- change the displayed gear ratios in the synchro setup screens

BetterShifting.com - Di2 help and guides| BetterShifting Instagram | Terry's Instagram
Last edited by: Di2Terry: Nov 27, 20 2:08
Quote Reply
Re: DI2 Newbie. Cannot get into manual shift mode [Di2Terry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terry, thank you for the reply,

In particular the bit about Gear Position Control (GPC) is good to know. Because with GPC enabled, Full Manual and Semi-Synchro appear to be basically identical modes. I will experiment with disabling it and see if that cross chaining is that bad.

I have to admit, the last point you make leaves me with more questions

If the only thing that is affected by selecting chainrings/cassettes are what you state, then how the heck does full-synchro mode work? Doesn't it have to know what chainring and cassette-ring combination is the most appropriate for the next higher or lower gear shift. I mean doesn't it have to know the actual ratios those produce, and therefore exactly what rings are on there?

If it were not to know what rings you had on there, it seems like it would not be able to decide how to pick the next gear properly. Or rather that it would often pick that, improperly.
Last edited by: JoeO: Nov 27, 20 16:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
I have to admit, the last point you make leaves me with more questions

If the only thing that is affected by selecting chainrings/cassettes are what you state, then how the heck does full-synchro mode work? Doesn't it have to know what chainring and cassette-ring combination is the most appropriate for the next higher or lower gear shift. I mean doesn't it have to know the actual ratios those produce, and therefore exactly what rings are on there?

If it were not to know what rings you had on there, it seems like it would not be able to decide how to pick the next gear properly. Or rather that it would often pick that, improperly.

The synchro mode isn't as smart as you think, and it's really not deciding anything, just going to where it's programmed to. The Default synchro mode shifts that are pre-set based on what chainring/cassette is programmed. If the crank/cassette ratios are not set properly, synchro mode will still shift into the designated gears, regardless of the fact that it might not be the 'proper' gear. Furthermore, you can easily adjust/override when that crossover happens and what cog it jumps to on up or down shifts.

I hate like synchro-mode, in particular when I'm starting a climb and a downshift drops the chain to the front chainring unexpectedly. I'd rather be in control of those moments.
Quote Reply
Re: DI2 Newbie. Cannot get into manual shift mode [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:
I hate like synchro-mode, in particular when I'm starting a climb and a downshift drops the chain to the front chainring unexpectedly. I'd rather be in control of those moments.

I'm with you on that. Pretty sure I'm going to end up in full manual mode with no Gear Position Control. I just have too many years of learning how to time those shifts to start letting Shimano decide that for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:

Synchro-shift is set up by the user (or when it isn't, the defaults are used) to shift from big => small ring or small => big when the RD reaches certain gears on the cassette. It doesn't really care about the number of teeth, it just knows to shift the front derailleur when the RD reaches gear '5' and is asked to shift to gear '6' for example.

So yeah.. it isn't as clever as you think, like beston said ;-)

BetterShifting.com - Di2 help and guides| BetterShifting Instagram | Terry's Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to keep resurrecting this thread, but my saga continues,

I went to the bike shop today and they gave me me BCR2. It does appear to charge the DI2 -- at least the red charge light comes on when I plug it in to the bike -- but the ETube software never sees my bike. It keeps telling me to connect my bike. But I plug it in and do "check connection" and all it does is give me instructions on how to connect.

I've tried both the previous 3.4.5 version you recommended as well the 4.02 version (just to see if it would connect). I've tried two different USB ports. I've verified all connections are snug and secure.

Nothing makes ETube see my bike.

(I'm using Windows 10)

Is this a common problem? Am I missing something? Could they have given me a bum charger?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey JoeO :)

The first thing I would try would be a different USB cable between the charger and your PC. Not all USB cables transmit data, some are power (charge) online.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah that was it. It recognized it now. I never thought they wouldn't supply me the appropriate cable but given that I had to go back to the shop and the guy had to grab one from somewhere, maybe he just grabbed the first cable he saw.

Thanks again.
Quote Reply