Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
DAMMIT!!!!!! Bike v. car with IMCDA 2 weeks away!
Quote | Reply
So on my last ride on the tri bike before CDA, with less than 20 minutes to go, some idiot woman turned right in front of me and took me out. Hard. I saw her, coming south as I was heading north at around 25Mph. Danville Blvd. is very fast where I was - for those familiar, it was north of Stone Valley Road, just south of Livorna. She made her left turn right in front of me. She didn't slow down. I saw her, looked at her, yelled "I CAN'T STOP", but she kept coming. I hit her in the front bumper. My front wheel exploded. I was airborne, cleared the hood of her car, and hit head and shoulders first. My helmet did it's job, craking in five places.

An off-duty sheriff was driving by, his wife saw the whole thing. He was on the phone with dispatchers in seconds. As I was rolling on the ground, the older woman emerged from her car. "I didn't see you!" I don't recall what I said, but the next words out of her mouth were - "you were in the shadow. You should have been wearing a brighter shirt!" Right. Because the bright green, red and blue Bianchi Motorex jersey was not bright enough..

I felt the pain in my knee first. I couldn't bend it, my feet hurt. I tried to get up but the deputy stopped me and told me to lie down. Then I felt the pain in my shoulder. They wanted to take my helmet off, but I was more comfortable lying on this asphault with it on. The EMTs were there in minutes. They checked for neck and back injuries, put on the neck brace, put me on a back board and got me in the back of an ambulance. The CHP interviewed me briefly in the ambulance before he went back to interviewing the witnesses. The homeowner who lived on the corner was kind enough to grab my bike, he gave me his card so I could come back and pick it up.

They cut up the jersey in the ambulance, iced my shoulder and offered me morphine. I declined. In five minutes I was in the ER, ten minutes later I was in X-Ray. They made me comfortable, gave me some blankets, and I waited for the news. My knee felt better, but my shoulder hurt like hell. It didn't look separated or dislocated - so I was optimistic. Ten minutes later, the doctor came back. All the injuries are muscular. He put me on some anti-inflammatories, gave me some muscle relaxants (just in case), and told me to take it easy. I should feel better in 4-5 days. I felt damn lucky.

I am still in for the race, but how is my bike?

I went to bick it up from Clint, the homeowner who was kind enough to hold it for me. He told me that he was working in his garage and heard me yell, and heard the crash, heard my wheel explode. He said the woman that hit me was not local, and that it looked like her car hadn't been washed in three years. "The windshield was really dirty, and with the sunrise and the glare..."

The bike looked pretty bad. My front Carbon Tilium was cracked in three places, it pretty much exploded and absorbed a lot of the impact. The rear wheel was caved in on one side from hitting the bumper. The base bars were bent, the seat was scuffed. The Reynold's forks had a little scuff on them. But the frame.

The blue Yaqui Carbo is nearly brand new. Built it up in March. There were no visible scratches or scuffs on the right side. But the left side has some paint on it (from the Toyota) and a dent in the chain stay. The downtube has a significant ripple about five inches from the head tube. It's a complete loss.

So here I am. Two weeks from toeing the line in Coeur d'Alene, my upper back and shoulders are in agony, my knee, elbow and shoulders have some nice road rash, and I am without a tri bike. I am confident about my body - I will heal. I still have my road bike, but it is not nearly as fast. So here's my mission. Can I possible get a new frame and new wheels in time for CDA? Well, I should know on Monday.

Special thanks to Bell for making a great helmet, to Clint, who held my bike for me, to the off duty sheriff who controlled traffic and to my mother-in-law for bailing me out of the hospital.

Wish me luck, and everyone else, keep safe.

John
Quote Reply
Re: DAMMIT!!!!!! Bike v. car with IMCDA 2 weeks away! [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
since it sounds like it's her fault, i think i'd ring ves up and have him rush me a new bike if i was racing. hope your feeling better. i know from experience that bike car crashes are less than enjoyable. i'm glad it's just bruising and nothing worse. wishes for a speedy recovery.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoa...I always feel the pain when anybody posts one of these reports. Sorry for both you and your bike!

You may have a tough time seeing it like this right now, but you appear to have been lucky in a way: you got immediate and professional medical attention and did not break any bone. Take it easy, try and forget about the race for now. Let your body tell you what should be the next step!

May you have a full and prompt recovery!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best thing--nothing broken (on you). Next best thing--lots of GOOD witnesses. That stretch is fast....it's easy to crank about 25 mph through there.

Like I told you on email, we'll somehow get you race wheels. Now, rest and heal.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Know the spot well... [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That really sucks. I've had a close one or two around there, but never quite that bad. I'd probably recognize you, but now you'll have a new bike...

The next week or so is going to be hell, especially for swimming. If you jammed the shoulder, you might have stressed or separated the Sterno-clavicular.

I've got a great chiropractor if you need one.

No good lawyers, however, which is something you should contemplate.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man you were lucky! I would say get yourself a nice lawyer. I had a body that was hit and broke his collar bone 2 years ago. He finally reached a settlement last August and got like $35K after paying the lawyer. Let us know how the race goes, if you end up going.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Suckwad.

I agree - get a lawyer. Her insurance company should write you a nice fat check for the bike now and your injuries when you've got the total. I can't believe she had the audacity to say you weren't bright enough. Give me a break.

Heal quickly so you can kick my butt at CDA. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a 54cm Cervelo Soloist Team w/9 sp Dura&Ksyrium wheels that you are more than welcome to use. Let me know and I'll ship it on out.

Damn lucky nothing broke...on you.

Berti

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars, the rest I just squandered" -George Best
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel your pain, dude. Except I wasn't only two weeks away. . .but the broken bones meant no race last year. Just one of thousands of idiots on the road. . .but today you were an idiot target. Truly sorry, man. Hope Ves can get you back on a bike. . .

Ya just NEVER know when it's your turn. . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey JohnA --

Hang in there ....

You're going to be pleasantly suprised at how far your body recovers over the next two weeks. If you feel you can race without making matters worse, I would get the road bike ready to go and plan to compete. An event, like your accident, puts you in an 'underdog' role and may reduce your pre-race stress levels allowing you to focus on your race execution more clearly. It may also enable you to dig deep when things get tough on race day -- as they always do -- and help you find that extra bit of courage to squeeze all you can from your body and present fitness.

Along those lines, your fitness is set. You will become fresher and your strength will rise over the next two weeks as your sprains and strains heal.

Just do your best -- as that is all any of us can do.

Your best should always result in a race you can be proud of.

kp
Quote Reply
Re: DAMMIT!!!!!! Bike v. car with IMCDA 2 weeks away! [irongeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
irongeek and hansoa,

You seem awfully optimistic that she has insurance. What if she doesn't. Not washing the car for the last three years would cause me to wonder.

I'm just thankful that JohnA walked/on a stretcher away with as few injuries as he did. The bike is replaceable. He is very lucky.

I hope Ves can help JohnA out of his bind.

I had a similar wake up call just this past week while riding through my subdivision. I was riding West into the sun at about 6:30 PM. A car was approaching from the opposite direction. I had on very colorful cycling clothing for the same reason JohnA did, visibility. I was sitting up and riding on my hoods too. In spite of this, the driver, made a left hand turn right in front of me without signalling and as if he did not see me. I yelled and swerved to try to avoid the collision. The driver, a senior citizen realized what was about to happen and slammed on his brakes, thankfully. We avoided an impact just by inches. It scared the shit out of both of us! The additional wake up call was what if in the panic the driver had stomped on the accelerator thinking it was the brake. This happens more often than many people realize. I would have been toast . And I hadn't even gotten out of the subdivision to reach the main road and the parkway!

Its dangerous out there. Thank god for good helmets!

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Re: DAMMIT!!!!!! Bike v. car with IMCDA 2 weeks away! [irongeek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Suckwad.

I agree - get a lawyer. Her insurance company should write you a nice fat check for the bike now and your injuries when you've got the total. I can't believe she had the audacity to say you weren't bright enough. Give me a break.

Heal quickly so you can kick my butt at CDA. :)[/reply]

irongeek,

Blaming the victim is the way it goes these days. If you accept responsibility for your actions or admit you were at fault, then you are potentially placing yourself at great risk.

California is the state where two men were street racing after dark on Imperial Avenue at almost 100 mph with their lights off. They insisted street racing was not dangerous and that they were good drivers! Street racing is not uncommon and only 14 out of every 1,000 street racers get killed street racing.

A Geo made a left turn at an intersection on the stretch of Imperial where the two men were street racing right in front of the racers. The impact killed the two occupants in the front of the Geo and severely injured (closed head injury) the passenger in the back of the Geo. He will never be the same. Is confined to a wheel chair for the rest of his life. Severe mental disability as a result of the accident.

The racer's attorneys maintained it was the fault of Geo's driver, that she made the turn at only 12 mph and as such took too long to get out of the way of the racers who she couldn't see at night when they were racing with their lights off. If she had only been driving a little faster, this accident could have been avoided. Not that if the racers had been traveling at the speed limit or driving with their light on, the accident could have been avoided.

The State of California was trying these two for 2nd degree murder. The jury was instructed by the judge that to find the racers guilty of 2nd degree murder, the jury had to decide that the racers believed that it was "highly probable" that their racing would cause a death. They were found not guilty of those charges but found guilty of vehicular homicide with gross negligence. They were sentenced to 6 and 9 years for this "crime." The one with the longer sentence fled the scene, that was worth a 50% increase in his sentence. they left the courtroom smiling and cheerful. The one racer thanked the judge. The victim's relatives were devastated. They gasped and burst into tears.

So much for blaming the victim rather than the party who was responsible.

Cathy is from California and is familiar with the stretch of roadway where JohnA's accident took place, so blaming the victim is a common and successful thing in those parts and probably in all parts. Its just very sad that so many other people let the "perpetrators" get away with this.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Last edited by: Wants2rideFast: Jun 13, 04 7:59
Quote Reply
Re: DAMMIT!!!!!! Bike v. car with IMCDA 2 weeks away! [Wants2rideFast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have a point that she may or may not have insurance. But, at least she stopped and JohnA knows who it is. The other big thing here is hit and run, which I have personal experience with.

And California juries??? Idiots generally, especially in NorCal. I'm not sure where they get them, as I've lived here for almost 18 years and have never been called in and have only received a jury summons a couple of times. I know other people who have been called in yearly.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: DAMMIT!!!!!! Bike v. car with IMCDA 2 weeks away! [Wants2rideFast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The racing story is astonishing. "Highly probable" that they would cause a death?? It sounds like these guys didn't have enough in their heads to even think that far ahead.

Yes, there's a chance she doesn't have insurance, and if so, probably getting blood from a turnip. But...I think it is definitely worth pursuing. It was quite lucky the witnesses include an off-duty cop, and it wasn't hit-and-run....you've got her name, you've got witnesses, you've got a start...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
irongeek,

Not surprisingly, the street racers did profess that they believed there was no chance that either of them could get injured or killed as a result of this reckless act. It was clear from their testimony, that they were incapable of seeing the possibility that innocent non-participants could be endangered by their acts. These guys could only think of themselves.

The jury was convinced! Ignorance did appear to be sufficient grounds to find them not guilty of 2nd degree murder.

Ben Cline

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
John,

Glad to hear your O.K. I broke two bones in two separate accidents last year and its no fun. I think this woman owes you a new bike and you should definitely purse this matter!

Dave from VA

Quote Reply
Pics of the bike... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://homepage.mac.com/johna/PhotoAlbum20.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That really sucks. I hope you have a speedy recovery. I would be willing to sell you some replacement wheels, at a significant discount, if it helps at all. email me offline if you are intersted and I will push your order to the top of the list.

Paul
Quote Reply
Re: DAMMIT!!!!!! Bike v. car with IMCDA 2 weeks away! [paul cusick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paul,

That's a great offer. Way to go for stepping up and trying to help out one of us who has had an unfortunate accident that has the potential to screw up what he was training for.

Thanks for making the offer.

Ben Cline

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JohnA:

Get a lawyer AND a Computrainer. :) I've stopped riding the roads. I'm sorry, but Detroit won we lost.

Thank God you survived with only minor injuries. Many of my friends have not been as lucky.

Dominus vobiscum

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy sh*t! I just saw the pics. You were more than lucky. I think society is completely f*cked up when 2 people are street racing and kill others from their ignorance and basically get nothing from it. I think the same could be said for your instance. The women owes you a new bike. Honestly, I think I would cry if my trusty steed was demolished like yours was. If she has enough money to be driving on expensive gas, then she can wash her damn car. It is 100% her fault. If she does not have insurance, it is not your problem, but ultimately hers. She might be a sweet old lady, but she screwed up.

My dad finally won the battle with my own grandma. She finally sold her car after the doctor told her that her reflexes were so poor that the next time she decided to drive to call him because he didn't want his kids outside because eventually was going to kill someone. This is after running into the frame of the garage while pulling her car in. Plus, backing into a cart rack at Walmart and hitting a parked car in the church lot.

No excuses! If you screw up take responsibility. In this instance, you should get a new bike for sure because you did nothing wrong. That is just my 2 cents.
Quote Reply
Thanks Paul!, and a little update. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Paul, I got the wheels yesterday - thanks a ton. They are prefectly true, finish is excellent, and I will be taking them for a test ride on my road bike later today - hopefully. That was awesome customer service, and has made me an even bigger fan of those wheels.

Everything else is coming together, too. Ves will be shipping the new ride out on Monday, and I will get it Thursday in Idaho. He is even putting on the new Easton fork with a 43mm rake to make the front end even more stable than it was. I am also upgrading to the FSA carbon cranks (super light, not compact) which have a more comfortable Q factor than my Chorus cranks did. I am re-using my derailleurs, brakes (though I am getting new levers), shift levers and clip-ons.

A local tri shop - transition sports - is going to be moving my tools, bike stand, wheels, etc. to Idaho, so I can actually build the thing once I get there.

I can't say enough about how awesome this community is. I first heard about Ves and Yaqui bikes on this site/board. The comments were consistent - great service, great experience, great bikes, etc. But what he is doing goes far beyond my expectations. I e-mailed him looking for a some scratched, used or old frame that might work for me. Instead he builds me a brand new one, and even does some upgrades to it so it represents his latest and greatest work. Awesome.

And Spinergy coming through with the wheels! Dang! I got them in 2 days! I'm not a pro, not even that fast, but he treated me like I was. This is the kind of service that gives companys customers for life. I will be recommending these wheels to everyone I know, because they are fast, and because they care about their customers.

In addition to this, I have received e-mails and PMs from lots of people who have been in the same spot. It's a bad place to be, but your support is making it easier.

This is truly a great sport to be involved in.

John
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks Paul!, and a little update. [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing this experience with us, John. It helps restore a little faith lost amongst all the election frivolity. Kudos to the folks coming through for you in this extreme pinch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am very sorry to read about your accident. Happy that your injuries were't more serious. And so close the the IM...geezzz

sorry to hear that yet another driver was not more careful with her vehicle..

Hope you can find another good bike fast.

------------------------------------------------

Trying to find ways to pass the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Thanks Paul!, and a little update. [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Glad to hear you are alright and everything worked out. I was going to offer you my race wheels and P3 but it seems you got everything handled. Good luck and enjoy your race.

"your horse is too high" - tigerchik
Quote Reply

Prev Next