Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Cyclocross sounds cool! How do I get started?
Quote | Reply
I just came out of my cave and discovered the sport of cyclocross by reading some posts on this site recently. I have done many tris, but never a bike race. Some questions:

How do I get started?

Do I need some type of license?

I am in Illinois and found a race this weekend in Chicago. Can I just show up and race?

Will I be ridiculed for using my mountain bike?

Is the sport filled with a bunch of studs, or will there be others that are new like me?

Any Midwest cyclocross racers out there?

I'll take any and all advice. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclocross sounds cool! How do I get started? [waytooslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depending on the race, you might needa USCF or NORBA license, or one day license ($10).

You most likely can show up and race, but you might want to check first. The race series here in SE MI has race day registration. You'll want to find out what races/classes they have.

Nobody should ridicule you for your mtn. bike, just make sure to take and bar ends off.

There will be everything from studs to duds, don't worry.

http://www.tailwind.net/...acedesc.pl?cros_2006

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know a ton, but I can answer some questions

How do I get started? Show up at a race.

Do I need some type of license? One day license at the race

I am in Illinois and found a race this weekend in Chicago. Can I just show up and race? Yes

Will I be ridiculed for using my mountain bike? There will be lots of MTBs

Is the sport filled with a bunch of studs, or will there be others that are new like me? There will be a wide variety of skills, usually there are different races and/or catagories.

Go practice some dismounts
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best part about CX is beginners, at least in NJ, are more than welcome and those who are doing well are told they need to move up a category. Very friendly bunch.

It's kind of like the rugby of cycling; you beat up on each other in the mud for an hour, puke, and then enjoy a beer with everyone. It has the least amount of attitude of any cycling sport that I have participated in (Rd, MTB, Tri).

It should be illegal to have this much fun.

Just show up with your MTB (get as narrow a tire as you can and remove bar-ends if you have them), get a one day license and enjoy yourself. Usually the C race is the first of the day, so you can practice the course a few laps and then do a "hot" lap, meaning at a solid tempo effort so that you figure out where the hard parts are from a handling perspective.

Also, VeloNews has a couple of fantastic skill videos regarding dismounting, remounting, barriers, etc. My GF watched them without racing before and had no issues with barriers or dismounting. Really top notch learning this close to the weekend.

This is part I, there are 4-5. http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/11117.0.html

Also, the velo news homepage has some video of pro races that are about 15mins long. Watch them, but beware, they are addictive. You see how smooth these people are. Both the men and women make it look elegant dismounting. Stick around after your race and watch the A's or Master's, you will be impressed.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclocross sounds cool! How do I get started? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up on the bar ends. I will take them off. The race is listed as a 30 minute race plus one lap. What does that mean? Is this like a sprint tri, you just redline right from the beginning and let it all go for 30 minutes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It means as the leader comes through the start/finish at ~30min, they ring the bell for the bell lap, hence 30+1.

You will redline it the whole way. Supposedly my max HR is 184, and I've hit 190 a few weeks back. Make sure you do the hot lap and some very high cadence work in your warmup to get your HR up high (like LT and above). That way when the gun goes off, you won't suffer as much b/c you'll be ready and used to your heart way up high.

Another tip I just thought of. Don't start in the back even though it is your first race. I think the best thing to do is let the race self-select you to your position. Don't grab pole position, but it's better to let people pass you then try to pass everyone.

Unless of course your handling skills stink; then start at the back so you don't crash everyone out!

:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes it is all redline. Prepare to taste your own blood.

God I love cross...not to get biblical and all. Like the St of Tri thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First thing you do is get your head checked.

http://www.austint3.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclocross sounds cool! How do I get started? [FreakishPaddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having any sense at all is not a prerequisit for cross.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclocross sounds cool! How do I get started? [ATX TRIHEAD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
True, otherwise you'll use your brakes. Baaaad idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclocross sounds cool! How do I get started? [EWH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brakes will get you run over. Nothing like a chain ring to the side of the leg going over a barricade.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have this 3-wk bruise on my calf from trying to do a slow-motion, step through the frame dismount into the barriers in a warm-up. Dismounted fine, but my left foot stayed clipped in since I was so slow and I dragged my bike and kicked my right calf twice (I was reduced to hopping when the foot didn't come out). Came *this* close to stacking it in the barriers in warm-ups. I'm a loser.

I race SS and it was fun dropping the roadies on descents b/c they use their brakes. I get a kick out of how quickly you figure out who's ever MTB'd before in their life during a race based on how they descend. Of course once the roadies hit hard, flat ground, they blow past me, but it's fun dropping someone descending when I'm running 34x16.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just healed two deep gashes on my biceps where I tried to ride through some barrier material after missing a turn after a steep down hill. The flag tape cut through the skin pretty well. I will not mention the trip over the handlebars as I got to the point where it stopped stretching nor will I mention the second trip over the handlebars after I remounted not noticing that it was wrapped around my seat post.

I wish I had it on video though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
does create a visual though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I looked like an idiot. Well OK more than normal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have more lumps and bruises than when I mountain biked! Rule is never examine wounds until your done racing for the weekend!! A few things I have learned; do not lean into turn when there is a metal fence pole cemented into the ground, they don't break like the wooden stakes. Do not go through turns on your face, it slows you down. If they had cyclocross for more than 2 months a year, I would never do another tri. Its addictive and everyone is very friendly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done 2 of the Chicago Cross Cup races this year—my first two 'cross races. It's a blast and I'm expecting a disgustingly sloppy course on Sunday based on the forecasted weather. Unfortunately, I will not be there due to a wedding in NC (damn brother-in-law). But see my answers below.

How do I get started? Show up. The Cat IV race begins at 2:45 (in this case it's the last, not first like someone else mentioned, race of the day).

Do I need some type of license? 1-day. You get it on site

I am in Illinois and found a race this weekend in Chicago. Can I just show up and race? Sure can. Get there at least 15 minutes before the start and they'll let you sign up. However, I'd recommend going early and watching the Pro/Cat 1/2 race. It starts at 11:15.

Will I be ridiculed for using my mountain bike? Nope. There will be tons of them.

Is the sport filled with a bunch of studs, or will there be others that are new like me? Done 2 races so far and in both were a bunch of first-timers.

I'll take any and all advice.

Make sure your cleats are screwed on nice and tight. Otherwise it can be tricky to remove your foot and you may run into a barrier at high speed with one leg already swung over the back of the bike causing a massive pile up. Yep. I speak from expreince. Another thing, don't expect to finish. I flatted at my first race right before the start of the last lap. It's easy to do.
Last edited by: Gator1736: Nov 30, 06 12:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey waytooslow
Just know going in that you will be hooked and then you have to buy a new bike! Oh wait that’s a good thing!!
And like dirtgirl said it’s much more fun when it’s a muddy day.
Where else can you be sitting at the starting line freezing in the rain and be thinking man this is going to be sweet! It’s sick but the most fun you will have racing your bike.
And then you will most likely get done with your first race and say to your self “I’m never going to do that again” but 10 min and one beer later you’ll be thinking man next week I’m just going to kill it.
Good luck have fun and welcome to the craziness!
And the most important thing to remember “more cow bell”
Dan…
http://oregonvelo.exposuremanager.com/p/usgp0604/_s3d78737
that’s me on the left hand side of the photo.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclocross sounds cool! How do I get started? [DirtGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good advice. In a race last year I went down really hard with one lap to go. I had been stalking 3rd the whole race since the draft into the wind was really nice. No 1 and 2 where gone and I wasn't going to catch them. I made my move the blam! Blood streaming down both arms and my right leg. Finished fifth lauging my ass off.

Mud covers up all the wounds
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another piece of advice: Wear glasses. They will send you under a low hanging branch and you will be poked in the face.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclocross sounds cool! How do I get started? [Gator1736] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...and gloves. DO NOT forget your gloves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent piece of advice. One that I did not follow at my first race.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclocross sounds cool! How do I get started? [Gator1736] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
don't forget the mud getting flung off your tire. Glasses are protection in CX, no question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its funny how quickly commonsense and civility go out the door when you chasing someone down. I got smacked in the head a total of 10 times (did two races in one day) by a low branch, because it was the best line. Why is it so enjoyable to take the inside line, forcing someone to the outside into the muck?? I've bombed down hills in hot pursuit that I probably would have gingerly worked my way down if I was by myself. In triathlon you have to be nice and there are so many rules!!! Cyclocross you just gut it out and get to the front as fast as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To clarify a statement above......it differs by region, but 30 mins plus 1 lap can be misleading. Many regions will post this, but they will actually time the 1st few laps and put up a lap counter (to equal 30 mins or so). If they do 30 +1, the lap counter will read as a time counter (just by mins, i.e. 25, 17, 11, etc). Check with the official....

Mostly importantly, have fun!

If anyone is doing the UCI KLM Cross Nationals this weekend, I'll be there suffering with ya, providing the weather doesn't turn sour.
Quote Reply

Prev Next