Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cyclocross pedal system
Quote | Reply
Any recommendations for a cyclocross pedal system? SPD? Crank Brothers? Time? Pros and cons would be helpful.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclocross pedal system [bigred3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just switched from SPD to crank brothers and did my first CX race this last and loved the crank brothers pedals. We even had to run through a sand pit and I had no problems getting back into the pedals. Hope this helps.

Rob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Time ATAC is 5 stars *****.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i love my eggbeaters... absolutely no mud clearance problems. if i had to name a downside, i'd say that after a loooong ride, especially when i take the cross bike on technical singletrack where i'm standing a lot, i wish it was a bigger platform... many of my teammates race on crank-brothers candies, which have a little platform.

seriously. crank bros == awesome

http://www.theninjadon.blogspot.com

"The bicycle riders drank much wine, and were burned and browned by the sun. They did not take the race seriously except among themselves." -- Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for ATACs
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Bigred3

I’m running the Times and I think they work super! I’m in the northwest so we have some very muddy cross courses to test them on. And only in the very muddiest plus clay runups do I have some trouble getting back in but I think that goes for every body in those conditions.

I think the best thing about the time pedals is the release is very constant and reliable, With lest say Shimano’s I could never trust them to release when I needed them to.

Dan…
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using Speedplay Frogs for about 3 years now. No problems. Clear mud will and relatively inexpensive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are SPDs not so good? I'm new to cross this year and haven't had problems using SPDs until last weekend's muddy race.. I could never clip back in. Are other types like the eggbeaters much much better for these conditions?
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclocross pedal system [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom

I'm running Time ATACs on my cross bike with SIDI mtn bike shoes. I've noticed that sometimes I have trouble clipping back in. Is there any possibility that the 'spikes' on the shoes are interfering with the bars on the pedals?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclocross pedal system [calee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started doing Cross in low level SPD's and they sucked so bad. I spent most of the race trying to get back in the pedals. By the time I did, I had to unclip for another barrier. I use Time's, and haven't had any problems (except when they froze while mtn biking in the winter). I know Eggbeaters are popular with the folks I ride with too. I have heard the small platform complaint before, but for a 45 min race, the mud clearance probably makes up for that.

I give SPD's thumbs down, especially if there is sand and mud.
Last edited by: trigoneroadie: Nov 2, 05 10:49
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclocross pedal system [trigoneroadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The higher end SPDs work fine, some of the mid lower ones are bad in the mud. People seem pretty loyal to their pedal systems. Thus we get the "love my" testimonials. They all work better and worse than others in some conditions. I think mud is bad, but none of them work when ice builds up inside. That is the day the singlespeed guys with platform pedals will rule the earth. I just happen to have that bike just in case.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclocross pedal system [ATX TRIHEAD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So they work well for the heftier 'crosser?

[reply]I have been using Speedplay Frogs for about 3 years now. No problems. Clear mud will and relatively inexpensive.[/reply]
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclocross pedal system [JohnInRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think so I am 5'11" and 195lbs. No problems. I did tear the sole of my PI trail shoes off this weekend. POS
Quote Reply
Hey you calling me "fat"? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just cause I am on the long side of 90kg I am not fat. Where did I put them Krispy Kreams ? I have had pretty good luck with the Attacks and high number Shimano pedals. I can't keep track of what number mine are, but they were the $125 ish ones of a couple of years ago. I will probably stay with the Times in the future.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclocross pedal system [calee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for SPD's 959's are good, but I'm an Eggbeater fan as well...

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Cyclocross pedal system [Dbeitel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could never get my new Atacs to work well either, super hard to clip in, NOT good for trying to restart on steep hills and the unclipping was sketchy as well. They never clogged though.. Sold them to a friend and he loves them. I'm back to my trusty XT level 540 shimano SPDs.
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclocross pedal system [robthompson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you use a road pedal/cleat system on a cyclocross bike?

Dave in VA
Quote Reply
Re: Cyclocross pedal system [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not an expert on all pedal systems, but the road pedals I have are not made to shed dirt (speedplays) and would clog up in a second. Also, a lot of road pedal systems are not multi-sided, which is key to getting in fast after re-mounting your bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, but it will a) clog up with mud quickly, b)provide zero foot grip when running during a cross race and c)be a huge pain in the ass to clip back in because the pedal flip flops around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use mt bike shoes and egg beaters. Which have nothing to do with wife beaters. It is imporant to be able to run it your bike shoes in the mud or grass. Jump on the bike and clip in quickly.

Thom
Quote Reply