Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycliq shut off / malfunctioned upon crash impact - what gives?
Quote | Reply
I had a small crash today, just some scrapes and bruises. I almost lost my bottom teeth as I collided with a metal bar on a fence ... on a bridge. Just got a bone bruise on my finger and elbow and some chunks missing. I should be ok.

I was about to get onto a bridge that had a bike lane and I looked up and saw these two people in the walking lane coming the other way, thought ok. Then I put my head down for a second to pump and as I looked up this tall dude was wandering hither and tither across the bike lane and walking lane, in addition to the chick being on the right in the vicinity. It was too late to stop and I had to avoid him, but as I picked a direction he abruptly walked right into me and it was a bad crash for me. It is a two way marked bike lane that he just walked into, while on his cell phone.

I had Cycliq front and rear cams going, but there is a 45 minute gap prior to that incident. The batteries were fully charged. Both the front and rear cams stopped recording. I saw the front one was off after the crash and turned it back on if I needed any audio evidence or anything. All that is on the card is footage of me starting the ride and when I turned it back on after the crash.

Has anyone had this happen to them? I've been putting a lot of city miles on my bike recently and felt I needed the cameras to support any claim if I got hit. I put about 50miles in my city downtown yesterday (62 mi total for day) and am statistically likely to get hit every now and then. I would just hate it and be pissed that I threw down $500 bucks for this device that seems to work very well when I'm just riding around, but not so much when it counts.

Was this device crash impact rated? Can it not absorb hard hits? How can this be possible for a device like this?

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Cycliq shut off / malfunctioned upon crash impact - what gives? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took this dude straight to the bike shop. My rim was bent, the bike wouldn't roll and front of bike was misaligned.

I was like, "we are walking to the bike shop right now and you're fixing all of this shit." He did. I was really pissed. I walked in cleats with my bike on my back to the nearest shop and he put his card down.

Luckily I don't have any chronic injuries from this it seems, but what a pain. Bike is out for 2 days. I can't do elbow planks right now to train or elbows in Muay Thai on the heavy bag.

Last edited by: plant_based: Aug 17, 18 17:11
Quote Reply
Re: Cycliq shut off / malfunctioned upon crash impact - what gives? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did both cameras shut off at the same time? I know the new models are able to be controlled via ANT+, so is it possible you had that setup and accidentally shut them off 45 minutes prior to the incident? Or maybe possible that there was interference that gave a false signal to both lights to stop recording.

I'm assuming you don't delete the old files and just let the Cycliq overwrite? If so, did the video of your previous rides do the same thing? Where it started to record but suddenly shut off in the middle? You should be able to tell by reviewing the old videos.

Kind of an odd situation. I would report to Cycliq if you haven't already. If it stopped recording 45 minutes prior to the crash then it likely has nothing to do with the cameras not being able to withstand the crash. Unless of course it was recording at the time of the crash and the crash detection built into the cameras malfunctioned causing the cameras to turn off and delete the files rather than prevent them from being overwritten. That would be the ultimate screw up if that did happen, so I would like to think that's not the case. I believe the crash detection goes into effect if the camera is on and tilts more than 45 degrees. So you could test this yourself. Turn the camera on (holding it in the forward and level position like it would be on the bike) and let it record for a minute or so. Then toss the camera on the couch to simulate a crash. The camera should keep recording, and I believe it should start chirping. The file then should be protected from being overwritten automatically.

ETA: Good to hear the guy was willing to pay for damages to your bike. That's rare especially if you didn't have proof. But maybe simply having the camera on your bike (despite it not having the recording) was good enough. I really wanted to get these cameras/lights, but I've heard too many bugs around them (not quite like yours) to invest that much money.
Last edited by: Jason N: Aug 17, 18 17:26
Quote Reply
Re: Cycliq shut off / malfunctioned upon crash impact - what gives? [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
14:45 53 - front camera shut off (or file is missing/corrupted) for a 1:56 length file. Usually the files are 5 min.

14:42 54 - back camera shut off (or file is missing/corrupted) for a 2:25 length file.

I did just get the cameras recently. But, I've recorded a few sessions with them for at least 100mi with stops, turning on and off etc. I thought they were fully functioning without issue. I haven't adjusted the settings and not sure about Ant+.

I haven't contacted Cycliq. I don't know what to think. I should contact them at some point though, thats good advice.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah - I have the files on overwrite as well.

Quote Reply