Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling World Championships Yorkshire Discussion
Quote | Reply
Is there a thread yet? :-)

Now that the circuit route has been released on Zwift and having ridden it (not that I'm any quick myself), I don't see a slight climber type winning despite the elevation gain. More of a powerful classics guy who can sprint after a long hard day. Especially in bad weather. The climbs are not that steep. Very draggy type inclines, with an uphill sprint to the line. Almost like Plouay type finishing circuit.

The favourites for the men would be anyone who is good in April :-)

The favourites for the women would be anyone who's Dutch :-) Or Coryn Rivera.

Or a powerful TT-er who can attack maybe 1.5 laps out and hold it to the line.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling World Championships Yorkshire Discussion [crocked_knee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
crocked_knee wrote:
Is there a thread yet? :-)

Now that the circuit route has been released on Zwift and having ridden it (not that I'm any quick myself), I don't see a slight climber type winning despite the elevation gain. More of a powerful classics guy who can sprint after a long hard day. Especially in bad weather. The climbs are not that steep. Very draggy type inclines, with an uphill sprint to the line. Almost like Plouay type finishing circuit.

The favourites for the men would be anyone who is good in April :-)

The favourites for the women would be anyone who's Dutch :-) Or Coryn Rivera.

Or a powerful TT-er who can attack maybe 1.5 laps out and hold it to the line.

Most Worlds courses are not suited for climbers. It's a single day classic suited for a puncheur or hardman sprinter, seven times out of ten.

The climbs in the finishing loop of Yorkshire are neither steep nor long, but the road is twisty, kinda like Amstel Gold

M vdP should be a heavy favorite
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling World Championships Yorkshire Discussion [crocked_knee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The elite mens and womens TTs are interesting too - the mens is a straight out course which will be highly affected by wind over the course of the day if it changes (like in Innsbruck), and the womens TT is a series of 3 hillclimbs. Road surface for the final run in for the mens TT is grippy so staying in the aerobars with a very tucked position on the long straight is really difficult.

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling World Championships Yorkshire Discussion [Xavier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:
The elite mens and womens TTs are interesting too - the mens is a straight out course which will be highly affected by wind over the course of the day if it changes (like in Innsbruck), and the womens TT is a series of 3 hillclimbs. Road surface for the final run in for the mens TT is grippy so staying in the aerobars with a very tucked position on the long straight is really difficult.

Did you notice change in wind in Innsbruck or did you just mean that that course was also a straight out course? I had a feeling the wind changed a bit, but could not find any local wind measurements backing it up.

With grippy surface I take it you mean very coarse chip seal? So we're in for something akin to Euros in Glasgow last year? Tyre pressure is going to be something to consider carefully.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling World Championships Yorkshire Discussion [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
Xavier wrote:

Did you notice change in wind in Innsbruck or did you just mean that that course was also a straight out course? I had a feeling the wind changed a bit, but could not find any local wind measurements backing it up.

With grippy surface I take it you mean very coarse chip seal? So we're in for something akin to Euros in Glasgow last year? Tyre pressure is going to be something to consider carefully.

The wind did change and caused a real shift in the results in Innsbruck earlier starters vs later, one of the issues with a straight out course which is why it's always a poor decision IMO

Coarse chip seal yes but also bumpy surface, couple of sharp turns onto short steep climbs will make it not quite like a straightforward time trial.

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling World Championships Yorkshire Discussion [Xavier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Xavier wrote:
Road surface for the final run in for the mens TT is grippy so staying in the aerobars with a very tucked position on the long straight is really difficult.

Xav code for typical UK road these days!!!

Welcome to TTing in the UK boys.

29er full sus might be better. :D
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling World Championships Yorkshire Discussion [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mario S wrote:
Xavier wrote:
Road surface for the final run in for the mens TT is grippy so staying in the aerobars with a very tucked position on the long straight is really difficult.

Xav code for typical UK road these days!!!

Welcome to TTing in the UK boys.

29er full sus might be better. :D

:D love a grippy UK road ;)

AeroCoach UK
Quote Reply