Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling Shoes
Quote | Reply
I'e been putting in some decent milage on the weekends lately getting ready for IMAZ and have a question about bike shoes. My shoes seem to cause me to have numb toes and even ache by the end of my 100 mile rides. Do you think they might be too small or something?

Lastly, any suggestions on great cycling shoes from you all?

thanks,
Spencer
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Shoes [Spencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Loosen up your straps or laces or whatever you have. Numbness means your toes aren't getting enough blood supply. Over the course of 100 miles, your feet will swell some inside your shoes. Leave room for that to happen. A little wiggle room won't hurt on a 100 mile ride and you can always tighten things down if you want to do the city limit sign sprint.

Another suggestion for foot comfort. Check out Petersen Powerbed orthotic inserts. All the cycling catalogs sell them and they're not too expensive. If you have high arches like me, you'll love the support they give you ... especially on longer rides.

As for a general recommendation on cycling shoes ... Probably the best-selling shoe out there is the Sidi Genius (4 or 5 or whatever the current year's number is). Great shoes. Comfortable, incredibly durable, stiff, but not too stiff. Go to a race or century ride or something like that and you'll see more Sidi Genius than any other shoe ... for a reason.

Bob C.
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Shoes [psycholist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What shoes do you have?

I have a wider foot and removed the thin rubber insole from my Shimano shoes - model escapes me - but you know the ones - blue and silver with single black velcro strap

I did this because I too was getting numb toes - removing these insoles did it for me - bought me that extra room and now - I CAN FEEL MY TOES AGAIN!!
Quote Reply
Re: Cycling Shoes [Spencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Numb toes=no good. I rode 10,000 miles on my first road bike in mountain shoes that were too small. My feet HURT after 3 hours in the saddle. I got a pair of northwaves and all was good. I'm looking into getting the new shimano tri shoes. I tried them on and they feel great! If you have the dough, just go all out and get a custom pair from rocket7. Those shoes are wonderful. $550 is steep, though.

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply