Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cycling Camp Write-Up
Quote | Reply
Here's a write-up from our spring break training camp in Arkansas by one of my training partners Sean. I hope to find time to post some of my own comments in the next week or so. Sean's website can be found at: http://www.konaenduro.blogspot.com/ Enjoy.

----------------------------------------------------------------

A spring break photo narrative

Finally, a week after Spring Break ended, I've sat down to put up a lot of photos from our Spring Break trip to the two Kansas'.

After driving through a snow storm, Nick, Mark and David met Jordan and I at Perkin's.

The next morning we started our drive to Kansas. Nick insisted on bring his carbon Zipp 404s which he didn't need, nor did he have the correct brake shoes for. Anyway, here's his view:

Speaking of wheels, we didn't get far before one flew off the roof....

Luckily no one was behind us at the time (and that it wasn't Nick's carbon)

With the wheel secure we could continue our journey...

...which paused for us to eat lunch at Taco Bueno. Eating healthy while travelling on the road is very challenging. I ended up eating a poor quality bean burrito. Subway needs to grow like McDonald's so I can always stop there.

Eventually we arrived at the military base where the road race was to start. We only had 30 minutes to check in and warm up to race. Check out the line of cars. Can you say "Great planning!"?

We packed up after David experienced his first race, and I finished 7th.

Now that we had gotten through the problems of the beginning of our trip, it was time to have a great time. Including staying the night in a castle:

I'm serious. This place was awesome. Thanks to Charlie Gillum for offering the place to stay and Scott Dixon(who apparently is from Des Moines) for hooking us up.

The next morning it was time for the parking lot criterium. It was damn cold in the morning.

Charlie from St. Olaf, super-fast downhill skiier and now also collegiate road racer, sets the pace in the B-race.

Check out that sweet BMC frame.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the A race, so we'll skip that and go onto the Cat 4/5.
Notice my well placed helmet. Lazer helmets don't have a medium, their large is too big and their small is too small (I think they call it L/XL and S/M). It really looks like I'm hurting.

Next to me is Nick, and behind us is Charlie. He was the awesome guy that let us sleep in his castle.

This is the lead group of 3 near the end of the race. Still looks like I'm hurting. We almost got caught by the people behind us because we did a very poor job of working together. Tommy (U. Nebraska guy with the T-Mobile bike) kept faking that he didn't have any energy and that other dude in Blue tried to tell us what to do like he was a seasoned pro. I found it very funny.

The final sprint:

Mr. I-think-I'm-a-Pro got dropped. Apparently I beat Tommy at the line, I wasn't really sure cause there was no line. That sounds smart for a road race.

853 Reynolds steel: 1
Protour carbon Bike: 0

I also got relegated for throwing my bottle a lap earlier behind where those cars are, so I was put in 3rd place.

Here's Jordan showing off at the beginning of the Cat 1/2/3 race. Check out the Geoff Kabush arm warmers.

We stayed the night in Oklahoma. I think this is a picture of us washing dishes after breakfast, but I don't know what the hell Jordan is looking at.

Our arrival in Arkansas:

After we took over the cabin:

Here's Mark, the team President/Captain. I'm not really sure what his title is, and I'm definitely not sure what that face means.

This is "Bad-Ass" David. He's learning to race, and he's definitely learned to show off in racer-geek lycra.

Ole girls in the morning.

One of our hundred mile days. I'm in the front in blue and yellow leading the group with Charlie. Mark, Matt, Caleb and Nick are in line, while Jordan was taking pictures of our asses.

Charlie and I in front...

We stopped so Matt could borrow a tool to fix something after a dog chase.

Later that night we went into town. It was raining and there was nothing to do but mooch wireless internet.

Nick and Mark were old enough to get into a crappy bar. Nick used it to practice his bullriding skills.

At the end of the week the Oles made use of the time to party, since they can't do it on campus.

An old guy in a USCF hat decided to join the fun.

Packing up the car to roll out.....

Quote Reply