Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cutoff times in AG draft-legal sprints
Quote | Reply
If you've raced (or organized) a draft-legal sprint for age-groupers (not U23, elite, etc), has there been a cutoff time instituted/enforced? If so, what was it?
Quote Reply
Re: Cutoff times in AG draft-legal sprints [surroundhound] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The majority of DL stuff I've seen has a lap-out rule, not necessarily a cut off.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Cutoff times in AG draft-legal sprints [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For regular age-groupers? I've only seen lap-out for elites.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty much all AG DL races will not have a lap out rule, as most still have wave starts and thus the bike portion is filled with athletes on all different laps.

And no I dont think there is an time limit. It's so new of a format that getting people out there is first priority. I dont even know if there is a standard sprint time cutoff, so I'm assuming it's not an issue.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Cutoff times in AG draft-legal sprints [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Pretty much all AG DL races will not have a lap out rule, as most still have wave starts and thus the bike portion is filled with athletes on all different laps.

That seems like a terrifying experience. I didn't realize this was a thing.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For AG specific events, that's been pretty much how it's done if it's on a multi-lapped course. Now if its 1 loop, that obviously doesn't matter as much. But they do that for a few reasons:

-low AG numbers to begin with
-minimizes the amount of time for road closures.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
For AG specific events, that's been pretty much how it's done if it's on a multi-lapped course. Now if its 1 loop, that obviously doesn't matter as much. But they do that for a few reasons:

-low AG numbers to begin with
-minimizes the amount of time for road closures.

I assume somewhere in the athlete guide or pre race meeting they let the athletes know that when the pack they are drafting in approaches the entrance to T2, that not all of them may be going in the same direction? Some may want to slow down and turn into T2 while some may keep the hammer down because they have more laps to do?

Yikes...but I guess if the entrants are low enough, and everyone knows the deal it can work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done the DL in Detroit in 2014, Rev3 Rush and the DL qualifier in 2015. Two of them had a hot transition and none of them enforced the lap out rule.

The best organized race I've done was the DL qualifier in Clermont. It had a 4 loop 20K bike course with the transition on the outside of the loop next to the swim. The run went around the bike course and ended just short of transition. Because of that, the bikers and runners would never interfere with each other and a lap out rule was not needed.

https://connect.garmin.com/...n/activity/950262328
Quote Reply
Re: Cutoff times in AG draft-legal sprints [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's a hot transition?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It actually works fine. I've done both single-lap and multi-lap DL races (age group) and there's never been anything 'terrifying' about it. The idea of it is a lot more stressful than the actual execution.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A hot transition is one where the bikers ride through it every lap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you -- that's a new term for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clermont is actually a shit show for a AG DL race with anything more than 100 people because they will have people on different laps, and the run and bike are on the exact same course; just the run turn arounds earlier than the full bike loop. I did the 1st DL race you mentioned there and I've been to every AG DL race at Clermont every year, it works because it has low numbers and the year you mentioned probaly had 2 male waves of ~70 per wave, seperated by 15 mins and yes we rode through the transition (the run has never gone through the transition). ETA: In 1st race the run was actually 1 5k bike loop so that minimized the amount of bike/runners interaction, but there was still some cross over.

Any time you do a DL race with the bike and run course the same, it's disaster for AG races. They shouldn't ever have them on the same course but Clermont has to because they cant have a seperate run course with the venue limitations.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Jun 5, 18 18:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting... that sounds challenging for sure. Last year's (Canadian) nationals DL bike and run courses were entirely separate, and the bike was a single loop so no concerns about people going different directions in or near transition.

So, sounds like nobody's yet encountered an AG DL race with time cutoffs. This year, the 2 draft legal races available to age groupers (both in Ontario) have instituted time cutoffs. Maybe I'll ask them what the reasoning is there... seems overly aggressive for no good reason (there is a later-starting wave for the non-drafting sprint that uses the same road closures, with no cutoff).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was that in Ottawa? I was at that event with the elite race. That was a great race venue, with one side of the transition the bike and the other side of transition the run. Elites raced semifinal-finals over 2 days and they flipped the course on sunday. That hill was fun to watch the packs attack and drop people on.

I was hoping they were going to host that event again, but they arent doing an elite race there this year.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also called a flow through transition

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Ottawa Triathlon isn't happening at all this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Edmonton AG going from a 2 lap to 3 lap... no river crossing this year...

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply