Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Custom Time Trial Bikes
Quote | Reply
What are the benefits and drawbacks to a custom time trial bike? Are there companies/ manufacturers that are recommended for a tall guy? Please and thank you.

Edit: I'm 6 foot 7 and mostly arms and legs. I'm currently riding a P3 Cervelo for races and a CAAD 10. Both bikes have been fit for me. However, I would like better.
Last edited by: Black: Aug 20, 20 14:32
Quote Reply
Re: Custom Time Trial Bikes [Black] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are your fit numbers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Black wrote:
What are the benefits and drawbacks to a custom time trial bike? Are there companies/ manufacturers that are recommended for a tall guy? Please and thank you.

drawbacks:

expensive
probably will not be able to get the most aero frame

pros:

best fit

Unless you are freakishly tall (like over 6'6") or have really weird proportions, a good bike fitter should be able to get you onto some kind of stock frame with choosing the right cockpit and seatpost/setback.

I'm 6'3" with a 34-35" inseam and fit fine on a stock Cervelo P2C 61cm. This frame is not super aggressive (I have poor lower back flexibility), if I could get really aero I could probably fit onto a 58cm.
Quote Reply
Re: Custom Time Trial Bikes [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am freakishly tall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My advice would be to find a good bike fitter and figure out what your fit range is, until you know that with some certainty nobody can give you a reliable answer. At that point you can figure out if stock is even an option. I have one custom road bike (which I love) and would definitely consider getting another custom road bike. For TT I think you give up a lot because it is unlikely they can build you something anywhere near as aero as what is available stock, but if you are truly a giant (and because rider itself is 70% of the drag), a custom frame that is less aero, but puts you in a better aero position than you can get on a stock bike very well may be faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you end up with an answer for your fit coordinates English Cycles can build you something beautiful out of steel: https://www.englishcycles.com/...custombikes/ttbikes/

Won't be the lightest, won't be the most aero, but it will be pretty aero and fit your coordinates perfectly.
Quote Reply
Re: Custom Time Trial Bikes [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
If you end up with an answer for your fit coordinates English Cycles can build you something beautiful out of steel: https://www.englishcycles.com/...custombikes/ttbikes/

Won't be the lightest, won't be the most aero, but it will be pretty aero and fit your coordinates perfectly.

Very beautiful bikes, I called him about three years ago and he (was) is delivering about 24 months out.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Parlee has been the go to for custom TT bikes that have a good aero pedigree.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you say Time Trial, do you need to be UCI legal? If so, custom would not likely be necessary.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Custom Time Trial Bikes [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want carbon and custom, look into Filament: https://www.filamentbikes.com/bikes/aero

grumpier.mike wrote:

Does Parlee still make the custom TT frames?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Black wrote:
I am freakishly tall.

Freak, take up Basketball and leave cycling to us midgets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Black wrote:

Edit: I'm 6 foot 7 and mostly arms and legs. I'm currently riding a P3 Cervelo for races and a CAAD 10. Both bikes have been fit for me. However, I would like better.

I'm not freak, but 6'4" and all leg, no spine.

Interestingly that means that I'm actually easy to fit on a standard bike as I just need lots of seatpost. In fact before I got fitted properly I was going too large on frames. 58cm for road bikes is right, I've a 61 that in reality is too long. But this means that I have huge drop from seat to bars on the TT bike, but also don't need to have totally slammed front ends.

I did have a custom Titanium frame a while back. And whilst that did match my fit numbers, it was quite possibly the ugliest bike frame ever made as just 'looked' wrong.

But in answer to your question then yes you can get them made, but it's highly unlikely to be a sensible idea. The mainstream off the shelf frames have all been through aero testing in order to be able to prove they are 13.21 seconds faster over a 180km course than the previous model / competitor. And so whilst I don't put huge sway on that, then even with some added seatpost and spacers you are likely to be more aero than a true custom frame (for example mine ended up with a lot of head tube which did mean no spacers and a slammed stem, but at the cost of a wide and long headtube....

The issue I struggle with is of course a high centre of gravity as I'm so high, and my descending is 'not the best'. But I honestly don't think that a custom frame would change that - I'm crap downhill on road, MTB, and even a pussy/sensible around corners on my motorbike.
Quote Reply
Re: Custom Time Trial Bikes [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
If you want carbon and custom, look into Filament: https://www.filamentbikes.com/bikes/aero

grumpier.mike wrote:

Does Parlee still make the custom TT frames?

https://parleecycles.com/custom/
Quote Reply
Re: Custom Time Trial Bikes [bulldog15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I looked already and TT is not listed under custom fit
Quote Reply