Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Current options for athlete tracking during events?
Quote | Reply
I (like many of us) used MyAthleteLive when it was available, but I haven't seen anything recently which compares. I know that Garmin has added LiveTrack to all their recent devices, and USAT and IM rules now appear to allow phones from a safety standpoint (assuming you're not using it and it's not held); this is based on a re-read of the rules today as I was researching this question.

My real beef is the idea of having my phone in a SPIBelt around my waste during an event (can't stand having it in a tri suit pocket). I would really like a tracking option for my wife to know where I am on-course, since I'm getting into HIM this year and full next year. Yes, I know I can tell her approximately where I should be based on training and timing (she's a triathlete, too, so she knows how it all works), but real time would be nice.

What do you all do/use?

- John
"Have courage, and be kind."
Quote Reply
Re: Current options for athlete tracking during events? [OtterJohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We look at a map ahead of time and decide where would be the best place for family to see me pass by. Usually works out OK.

Ive done a race with a device in a belt made by Quarq. Worked but too much stuff for a race to issue.

Racejoy is a cool software that allows an athlete to be tracked. If a race registers then spectator can knw placing as well as location. I use it fpr training so family knows where I am am. They can send cheers as well. You must have cell service and you must carry a phone. That part sucks.

The olds days were the best. find a map and wait at the finish line.
Quote Reply
Re: Current options for athlete tracking during events? [OtterJohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For racing haven't used anything sine 2015, but then used a Quarq Qollector (https://www.quarq.com/...uct/quarq-qollector/), looks like it has been discontinued though, which is a shame as it was a cool product.

For training I've used Garmin Live Track but seems to fail quite a bit. I've recently started just sharing live location via WhatsApp and have had much better success with that, although my wife prefers Garmin Live Track, but 50%+ fail rate on it actually working the whole ride........

Sorry can't be of more help here......

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply