Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Critique my fit
Quote | Reply
I am once more asking for your bikefit support.

A while ago I uploaded my first bike fit here.
I'm now sitting slightly lower, front has come down a little bit and my arms are more narrow (probably not relevant for this video now).
No aero helmet with a tail at play, so that shouldn't be relevant as well

Any recommendations greatly appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by: cmart: Jun 8, 20 0:06
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit (TT) [cmart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first thought was to move the pads forward.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit (TT) [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately the pads are maxed out for now, I'd need a longer stem for that :/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmart wrote:

Any recommendations greatly appreciated, thanks!

reply to the original thread so we can see the progression...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmart wrote:
Unfortunately the pads are maxed out for now, I'd need a longer stem for that :/

then you need a longer stem
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit (TT) [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
My eye says he's bunched up, and I note the saddle is all the way forwards. Any interim benefit to pushing back the saddle a bit? It might not be perfect but in lieu of a longer stem would it be better?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmart wrote:
Get a longer stem. And raise that saddle about 1 cm.

Not sure what the size of the bike is, but I wish it were one size up.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit (TT) [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

My eye says he's bunched up, and I note the saddle is all the way forwards. Any interim benefit to pushing back the saddle a bit? It might not be perfect but in lieu of a longer stem would it be better?
I think he'd be fine sliding the saddle back 2 cm or so and if he did that, I'd raise the saddle about 5 mm as well (instead of the full 1 cm I recommended earlier). Ideally, the pads would move forward to keep the hip angle open, but I think he could get away with it without any issue.

Trent Nix
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit (TT) [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys. Gonna post an update with saddle back and slightly higher. Those were my thoughts exactly after a workout yesterday. Good suggestions.

Maybe I also raise the front 1cm again.

Looking at my original position I think I should get away with this size. I was right on the edge between L and XL frame. For the XL frame I'm pretty sure I would have needed the shorter stem.

I somehow remember there used to be different stem sizes for the Speedmax. It's a V21 stem, unfortunately I can't find any different sizes atm. The Profile Design Aeria Ultimate stem would add 1cm
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit (TT) [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

If he did it properly he'd slide the saddle back but roll the hips forward, which would be a net wash or even a net loss of reach.

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmart wrote:
Thanks guys. Gonna post an update with saddle back and slightly higher. Those were my thoughts exactly after a workout yesterday. Good suggestions.

Looking at my original position I think I should get away with this size. I was right on the edge between L and XL frame. For the XL frame I'm pretty sure I would have needed the shorter stem.

I somehow remember there used to be different stem sizes for the Speedmax. It's a V21 stem, unfortunately I can't find any different sizes atm. The Profile Design Aeria Ultimate stem would add 1cm

If you're saying you're on the L frame now, I'd have gone with the XL frame and a Profile Subsonic undermount.

Or, a longer stem if they make it. You need 3cm more reach IMO. You could consider longer pads, like the stuff from the UK or the TriRig Scoops.

Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit (TT) [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
cmart wrote:

If you're saying you're on the L frame now, I'd have gone with the XL frame and a Profile Subsonic undermount.

Or, a longer stem if they make it. You need 3cm more reach IMO. You could consider longer pads, like the stuff from the UK or the TriRig Scoops.

I'm probably going for the Profile Design 120mm stem (+3cm), then I can also mount the PD Aeria Ultimate hydration system, that'd be cool. Still, I'm gonna move my saddle back a little and reshoot. Might make a complete different picture since I didn't look cramped in my previous position tbh: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t_P6974738/#p6974738

The reason for the L was that I was planning on getting lower in the front with time which would have been very limited with the XL. With the XL I probably would have needed to remove the spacer under the stem and cut the steerer. Which is something I would have hated to do. Considering the options I thought buying a longer stem if needed is easier. Also according to Canyon the XL is for people > 195cm and I'm 189cm.. so that didn't feel right either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So this is now with saddle ~2cm back and 5mm up. Have to say it feels quite comfortable and if I try to put my elbows more forward (edge of the pads) it feels not as comfortable and a little stretched.

What do you guys think? Thanks!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bike is a size too small, saddle could be 5 mm more up and i think you need a bit more reach

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit (TT) [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TRIPRO wrote:
The bike is a size too small, saddle could be 5 mm more up and i think you need a bit more reach

Jeroen

I can correct the reach with a longer stem. Bike size I'm not sure tbh.. it's weird. At Canyon they say next size is for people 195cm upwards and I'm 189cm tall.. But anyway, getting a longer stem is no problem. Still I don't really feel bad at all in this position
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmart wrote:
So this is now with saddle ~2cm back and 5mm up. Have to say it feels quite comfortable and if I try to put my elbows more forward (edge of the pads) it feels not as comfortable and a little stretched.

Your posture looks very good to me. Good rotation, flat torso, great ankling and flat feet.

Have you tried it for long race pace efforts? IMO it's tough to gauge on a trainer because of the low inertia that messes up the feel in the dead parts of the stroke. But the good news is that if it feels fine on the trainer your legs will almost certainly be good outside. The front end might be a different story.

I'd experiment with moving your saddle back even more and see if your legs are still comfortable while maintaining that posture; particularly at the top of the stroke.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit (TT) [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
cmart wrote:

Your posture looks very good to me. Good rotation, flat torso, great ankling and flat feet.

Have you tried it for long race pace efforts? IMO it's tough to gauge on a trainer because of the low inertia that messes up the feel in the dead parts of the stroke. But the good news is that if it feels fine on the trainer your legs will almost certainly be good outside. The front end might be a different story.

I'd experiment with moving your saddle back even more and see if your legs are still comfortable while maintaining that posture; particularly at the top of the stroke.

Thanks, that's good news! I can try moving it back a few mm maybe. Had it back 1cm more and it didn't feel quite right. Spent half of my 90min workout today in the aerobars and felt fine. Need to get used to it a little bit since I haven't been in aero position for a while and like I wrote above I lowered the front ~20mm compared to my first fit that I had: https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...t_P6974738/#p6974738
Last edited by: cmart: Jun 4, 20 12:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmart wrote:
Thanks, that's good news! I can try moving it back a few mm maybe. Had it back 1cm more and it didn't feel quite right.

May I ask what didn't feel right?

As you get closer to hip impingement (closed hip/torso angle) on the trainer you will start to feel uncomfortable at the top of the stroke. This will be less noticeable outdoors, but if that is what you are experiencing on the trainer at 1cm back, then you should be close.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmart wrote:

What do you guys think? Thanks!

you still need more reach, no matter what you feel. stop looking up and down so much as well, it distorts your posture. put your head where it would be during a ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Look pretty solid. Wish your pads were a bit more forward, as I’m guessing you’ll move forward on the saddle when you’re outside and putting out some effort. But what I see in the video is solid.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
cmart wrote:
Thanks, that's good news! I can try moving it back a few mm maybe. Had it back 1cm more and it didn't feel quite right.

May I ask what didn't feel right?

As you get closer to hip impingement (closed hip/torso angle) on the trainer you will start to feel uncomfortable at the top of the stroke. This will be less noticeable outdoors, but if that is what you are experiencing on the trainer at 1cm back, then you should be close.

From what I remember it just felt too far back for pedaling in the aero position, probably because of hips getting too tight. But I can experiment with it a little more in the next training session and then take it outside. Usually I found exactly that, it's a little easier to hold it outside
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
Look pretty solid. Wish your pads were a bit more forward, as I’m guessing you’ll move forward on the saddle when you’re outside and putting out some effort. But what I see in the video is solid.

Thanks! Probably going for a longer stem (+2-3cm). With the stem I get more reach and can also mount the Profile Design Aeria Hydration system, so win win :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmart wrote:
From what I remember it just felt too far back for pedaling in the aero position, probably because of hips getting too tight. But I can experiment with it a little more in the next training session and then take it outside. Usually I found exactly that, it's a little easier to hold it outside

Don't worry about it. I thought you might be getting close to the limit there.

If you get into aero testing you may wish to experiment with raising your pads...maybe quite a lot, and some forward also... and pivoting your neck down at the shoulders. Scrunching a bit instead of reaching for the pads. Get your face closer to your elbows. Lower in the front isn't always the most aero. If you raise up the front a bit you may be able to move the saddle back some; use your glutes and hamstrings more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool, thanks! I was thinking about raising the top again a little by 1cm or so. Think it could be still aero and might be a little bit more comfortable. Maybe then I can get my hands closer together even more which should always be more aero from what I remember

At about 0:24 in the video I'm trying to get my shoulders forward and together. So that's the position I'd try to get to for racing, maybe the head even lower as you describe if I can get there
Last edited by: cmart: Jun 5, 20 9:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Minor update. Raised the front by 2cm. Feels easier to hold power in this position, even feels comfortable.

I don't know what you guys think, but I'm pretty satisfied with that for now :)

Quote Reply

Prev Next