Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Critique my fit | Update 5/12/19| New Video | Suggested Changes made | Cervelo P2
Quote | Reply

*** Updated as of 5/12/19 ***
Further of the suggested changes implemented.
Change log in this post.

Dear Slowtwitch community,

I would like your feedback on my fit.

Background:
Just finished building a P2 and am in the process of completely throwing everything out the window what I had from my previous fit.
I am coming from a Cervelo P2 56 cm and never felt comfortable on that bike (with that fit).

Now sized up to 58cm and received some valuable input from Slowman on what my orthodox fit would be.
My data: 188cm, 170lbs/76kg, crotch: 91cm
Bike is a 58cm Cervelo P2. Crank is 175mm.
Saddle is an ISM Attack. The only piece I kept from the old bike.

Old fit data (5/5/19): I left it a little more relaxed for now. Pad y (to center) is 715 Pad x is 500, saddle-bb: 815. Still waiting for a longer stem (currently 80 mm).

Old fit data (5/10/19):
Pad y: 694 | Pad x: 530 | Saddle Height 805
New stem: 110/6 (was 80), 20mm risers (was 50), no spacers

New fit data (5/12/19):
Pad y: 665 | Pad x: 529 | Saddle Height 805 | saddle f/a -19 (19 behind bb)
New stem: 100/17, 20mm risers, no spacers

Let me know what you think.
Thank you for your input.

Mick
Last edited by: BrickMick: Aug 12, 19 19:36
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of my fit (video & still) [BrickMick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seat not too high. Body is quiet and relaxed looking through the pedal stroke. Looks comfy.

There are a lot of aero gains on the table. But I'd call it a good starting point.
Last edited by: trail: May 5, 19 15:48
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of my fit (video & still) [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Feel free to expatiate. Input on aero, too is appreciated.

trail wrote:
There are a lot of aero gains on the table. But I'd call it a good starting point.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you think of my fit (video & still) [BrickMick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrickMick wrote:

Feel free to expatiate. Input on aero, too is appreciated.

I just mean that you're presenting a good amount of frontal area to the wind. Your head is held pretty high. Pad stack is pretty high. You look like you may have broad shoulders (though hard to tell from the angle). But that's from my perspective as a pure 40K TTer. What you have there may be perfectly fine for triathlon. I'd be loathe to suggest something that may end up being less effective overall.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit | Cervelo P2 | video & still [BrickMick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say that stack is too high. The wind has a lot of surface area to eat up like a sail. Try to get your back as close to parallel to your top tube while still comfortable

Team Zoot 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saddle is a touch too high. Drop it 5-10 mm.

Cockpit needs to be lowered about 3 cm and armpads/extensions need to be moved forward about 3-4 cm to stretch you out.

It's an okay "bike shop position", but not really a good fit.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Last edited by: trentnix: May 5, 19 20:57
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit | Cervelo P2 | video & still [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
Cockpit needs to be lowered about 3 cm and armpads/extensions need to be moved forward about 3-4 cm to stretch you out.

Gotta say, I think those are good suggestions for getting closer to optimal. But I know some smart and experienced people will disagree... ;)

Mick, what changed between this fit and your old one? What feels better about this fit?
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit | Cervelo P2 | video & still [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was much lower in the front (625 Pad y).
The reach was 500 (Pad x).

But the saddle was 80 behind the bb. And I always felt like I could not apply good enough power. Moving the saddle forward would result in me feeling even more squeezed with the Pad x going down. I sold the bike 3 years ago and only now (after injury) decided to give it a another shot.

rruff wrote:
trentnix wrote:

Gotta say, I think those are good suggestions for getting closer to optimal. But I know some smart and experienced people will disagree... ;)

Mick, what changed between this fit and your old one? What feels better about this fit?
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit | Cervelo P2 | video & still [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Will be travelling on business for the week. Will make adjustments next weekend and will repost.

trentnix wrote:

It's an okay "bike shop position", but not really a good fit.
Last edited by: BrickMick: May 5, 19 23:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrickMick wrote:
I was much lower in the front (625 Pad y).
The reach was 500 (Pad x).

But the saddle was 80 behind the bb. And I always felt like I could not apply good enough power. Moving the saddle forward would result in me feeling even more squeezed with the Pad x going down. I sold the bike 3 years ago and only now (after injury) decided to give it a another shot.

So you moved the saddle forward (how much?), kept the same pad x, and increased pad y by 90mm. Saddle height the same?

Did you try a longer stem on your old bike? That should have allowed you to move the saddle forward and still have good reach.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit | Update 5/10/19| New Video | Suggested Changes made | Cervelo P2 [BrickMick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump for input on the changes made.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit | Update 5/10/19| New Video | Suggested Changes made | Cervelo P2 [BrickMick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you require a -17 stem

BrickMick wrote:

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
EricMPro wrote:

This. You look like you can come down more than what you have, but also your posture isn't very good. Need to drop your head more and look up through your brow. The lid you have on is probably making that imposible as you'd be looking straight into it and see nothing at that point. Try using a dedicated TT helmet with a visor and clocking it as far back as your able. This should help with your head position. Really, that's the hateful thing here. but less pad stack, if you can go with less pad stack I would.

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit | Update 5/10/19| New Video | Suggested Changes made | Cervelo P2 [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my original thought is that his bike is too small as well... he could have sized up and gone with a low profile basebar/extension system.

LAI wrote:
EricMPro wrote:

This. You look like you can come down more than what you have, but also your posture isn't very good. Need to drop your head more and look up through your brow. The lid you have on is probably making that imposible as you'd be looking straight into it and see nothing at that point. Try using a dedicated TT helmet with a visor and clocking it as far back as your able. This should help with your head position. Really, that's the hateful thing here. but less pad stack, if you can go with less pad stack I would.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrickMick wrote:
Really, really good. Could drop the cockpit another 1 cm or so - as others pointed out a -17 stem would do the trick and would look awesome too.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit | Update 5/12/19| New Video | Suggested Changes made | Cervelo P2 [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Installed the 17 degrees stem (it does look very nice) and set the saddle back a bit.
Saddle is now 19mm behind bb.
Pad Y: 665
Pad X: 529

Video and new fit data updated in original post (first post).

Your feedback is highly appreciated as I am dialing in my fit.

trentnix wrote:
BrickMick wrote:
Really, really good. Could drop the cockpit another 1 cm or so - as others pointed out a -17 stem would do the trick and would look awesome too.
Last edited by: BrickMick: May 12, 19 9:14
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit | Update 5/12/19| New Video | Suggested Changes made | Cervelo P2 [BrickMick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks good! Have you or can you mess around with head position? Is that the helmet you will race ?
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit | Update 5/12/19| New Video | Suggested Changes made | Cervelo P2 [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Yes, I see what you mean with the head position. Certainly something I can play with. I actually did try a few different positions during a road test yesterday. I also will have to build the muscles in the neck again as I hadn't ridden a tri bike in a few years.
The helmet is what I am planning to use in races. It is a Giro Vanquish with the integrated shield.

Fishbum wrote:
Looks good! Have you or can you mess around with head position? Is that the helmet you will race ?
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit | Update 5/12/19| New Video | Suggested Changes made | Cervelo P2 [BrickMick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It could be that you need to raise your stack a little bit more to help you get a little better shrug and get your head out of the wind. Obviously try at your current height but after some training if you feel like it's just not working raising it up could ultimately still be faster if the end result is a better head position.
Quote Reply