Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Critique my fit? Female on PRSix
Quote | Reply
I'm making some fit adjustments, for
1. aerodynamics, 2. power, 3. comfort; in that order.

Slowtwitch, help a girl out:

For comparison, this is my fit for IMLP 70.3 (1st AG) and 70.3 WC. I felt fast, strong & comfortable.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit? Female on PRSix [Mell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not an expert, but I think your saddle is too high. Your leg is almost fully extended with your toes pointed down. You need to drop saddle a good bit...if you can.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit? Female on PRSix [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seat's too high

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what's your height and bike frame size?
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit? Female on PRSix [casper3043] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 157 cm short, proportionally longer torso/short legs. I'm on 165mm cranks and my PRSix is a 48 frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit? Female on PRSix [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Comparing it to my previous bike & fit, I'm ok with pointed toes. I mean... if I've done well with pointed toes in the past? Also, I look at the shorter pro women - they ride with pointed toes.

I don't have much leg to work with considering crank sizes, what matter to me more is hip angle at the top of my pedal stroke and ability to get and stay aero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've also heard from a fitter that pointed toes aren't necessarily a problem as in a tt position your body position rotates forward around the bottom bracket.

That said, I'm seeing hip movement like your legs are really trying to stretch down to complete the pedal stroke

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seat is too high. It's not because you are pointing your toes, but because there is a clear jerking motion when your legs reach the down stroke.

Also, I think your cockpit is too short. It looks like your are more crunched on the QR. Your hips are further back (when compared the Trek picture). This is further indication that the cockpit is too short, as you are probably pushing your body back further (which closes the hip angle)

You might benefit from stretching the cockpit forward. And then maybe experiment with rotating your entire position forward and down (aka. maybe move your seat forward, and pads lower (might need in-line or under mount)).

At your height and fit, even shorter cranks could be beneficial. Shimano makes 160mm cranks in 105 spec and Rotor has a a selection of 155mm cranks.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Jul 14, 20 14:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No expert here, just an autistic engineer that likes to observe and always try to learn something, so take this with a grain of salt... but if you pause the video at 1 second your leg is too extended and your ankle angle is like 45 from the horizontal. And you are rocking way too much. It seems as if you are a competent athlete and have made this position work for you, but think how much more efficient you will be on the right bike and improved position.

Obviously lowering the saddle would require you to lower the handlebars and that might not be easy.

It seems like a common trend for a lot of shorter riders to get the saddle too high to get low enough and open the angle at the top but the more efficient solution is to get really short cranks, instead of forcing the body on the wrong geometry. 150 mm cranks would be worth trying for your height.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drop the saddle about 2 cm, you need the 90 stem, drop the bars 2 cm and most likely you will benefit from 150 or 155 cranks which would raise your saddle height by 10 or 15 mm

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your seat is definitely too high. If possible try to get your cockpit lower and longer too.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit? Female on PRSix [tri3ba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviously Linsey has longer legs than Heather and you indicated you have shorter legs, but if you look at their foot position at the bottom of the pedal stroke it's fairly flat where you are really reaching with hips completely open, ankle fully extended and toe pointed downward. I would venture to say that with a lower seat position you will benefit from a flatter, more efficient (elliptical) pedal stroke and see some improvements in power and less side to side rocking in the saddle. Your position now seems to really extend your ankle and relying a lot on your hamstrings vs. quads for power through the 12 to 5 O'clock power phase of the pedal stroke and then allowing the ankle to slightly bent to engage the calf muscle as you slightly pull through the stroke. It would be worth some time to get fitted and you may be surprised how just a few minor adjustments can make a beneficial difference. Best of luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need 150mm or shorter cranks.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit? Female on PRSix [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not getting shorter cranks.

But I'm definitely going to try lowering my saddle and cockpit together in proportion as there's been some really good "why" beyond the pointed toes - thank you!
Last edited by: Mell: Jul 14, 20 14:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
saddle too high- likely too far forward, or just wing saddle for you.
I agree on trying shorter cranks.
Helmet is totally wrong for for body position- It sticks up like a sail.

Whether you point your toes naturally or not- saddle is too high. You appear to be rocking side to side quite a bit. You want to be stable.
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit? Female on PRSix [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Your seat is definitely too high. If possible try to get your cockpit lower and longer too.

^^^^This.

Aim to get your upper arm parallel with your femur (in the pic below). Try 2cm forward. Dropping your saddle may also allow you to look forward a bit more and get the tail of your helmet down and more integrated with your back without feeling overstretched.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mell wrote:

But I'm definitely going to try lowering my saddle and cockpit together in proportion as there's been some really good "why" beyond the pointed toes - thank you!

saddle is quite high, and once you lower it to correct height you'll need to adjust your front end as well. preferably to be longer and lower by a fair amount if your priorities are aero -> power -> comfort (although those aren't mutually exclusive and even if they were I wouldn't order them that way)

ETA - also this is a great example of how your "race position" (I'm assuming that's you in previous poster's picture embedded in their post) is very different than your "critique my fit" position. Which one of the two would you say is more realistic?
Last edited by: jkhayc: Jul 14, 20 14:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You aren't going to fit that bike properly if you don't get shorter cranks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out of curiosity, why did you switch bikes? We're you fit to this size frame? Or just buy it on your own?

You are obviously talented with your results, but that bike position could likely lead to injury if you continue to ride those distances and with speed. I think that is how I got a bakers cyst during a race, and it burst during the ride...then I finished my marathon in a run walk fashion. Took forever to recover from that for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mell wrote:
!

If you insist on your limitations they are yours to keep...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit? Female on PRSix [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

“I have priority X”

“This will fix X”

“Not gonna do it”

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife is 158cm and rides the same bike, she also had some fit issues, and ended up getting 155 cranks. She did not feel the difference pedaling moving from 165 cranks. This helped her move her seat up and rotate her hips, she didn’t lose power and was much more comfortable in longer races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious, Did your LBS fit you on the new bike? Did they mention anything about changing your fit, or unable to duplicate the same fit as on your old bike?

Honestly, I think you need the 110mm stem (which does not come stock on the 48). I think most people on this forum over-estimate the level of progress we have made with LBS fit.

First thing that jumped out is that you are simply in a different position on the new bike.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Jul 14, 20 20:11
Quote Reply
Re: Critique my fit? Female on PRSix [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

“I have priority X”

“This will fix X”

“Not gonna do it”

This is so true.
You have some very very highly regarded bike fitters on here telling you that you need shorter cranks. I am 188cm and ride 165mm at the moment.....
Not sure why you want to ignore their advice, unless of course your power meter is crank based and you don't want to sacrifice that. However it is clear to everyone looking that your seat is way too high. Shortening your cranks will allow you to drop your seat height less, along with other benefits. And it is not that expensive to do...
Quote Reply

Prev Next