Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Critique Swim/Run focus, Bike maintenance
Quote | Reply
Hello ST knowledge base,

First "major" post. Just looking for some help on my proposed training schedule. So this summer I'm contemplating the idea of focusing mostly on the swim and run aspects of my triathlon race, as I feel I am farthest away from where I want to be in those two elements of triathlon compared to the bike. Obviously the plan is for the bike workouts to be cut back in favor of more training time in the other sports. The club I'm with swims Mon/Web/Fri/Sat mornings and I have the option of evening practices with the same club from Mon-Fri. Mornings are 1hr (~2200-2500 SCM) and evenings are 1.5hr. I currently run with my University track team and summer practices for this are scheduled Mon - Fri evenings (typically 1hr-1.5hr), and I believe the option of morning practices on Tues and Thurs will be available (shorter, ~45min). I'd like to keep the Mon, Tues, and Thurs night track practices as there are the quality days, so this eliminates those as swim options. Saturday and Sundays are kind of open days with regards to training with exception of the Saturday morning club swim. The "ideal plan" is to get 4-5 swims and 4-5 runs in and maintain bike fitness. Over the fall I managed to do doubles between track and swimming 4 days/week and did not get injured/sick and continued to show improvement over the fall/winter in both sports. I've outlined a rough idea a typical week below for the season, brackets indicate optional workouts:

• Day AM PM

• Mon Swim Run
  • Tues (Run) Run
  • Wed Swim (Swim)
  • Thurs (Run) Run
  • Fri Swim (Swim/Run/open)
  • Sat Swim (open)
  • Sun Open (was long ride day last year when scheduled)
So this is kind of what I'm working with right now with regards to available time for my desired focus areas. As for bike workouts (and what was supposed to be the original intent of this post), if I am to do minimal bike workouts (3 workouts?) essentially maintaining bike fitness 1) where should I consider putting them and 2) what should comprise those workouts? One longer tempo ride, and two threshold? One tempo one threshold? Is this all garbage? If it helps at all I am ~2:10 Oly guy, 3rd year of tri. Anything I missed? Any input (constructive of course ;)) is appreciated, thanks for taking time to look.

Buck
Quote Reply
Re: Critique Swim/Run focus, Bike maintenance [.Buck.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
two questions:

Are you racing Olympic distance? and do you want to turn professional eventually?

Dan Meehan
Coach / Athlete
Quote Reply
Re: Critique Swim/Run focus, Bike maintenance [Granpa Chook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I am racing Olympic distance primarily, possibly one sprint as a tune up before my A race this year. As for turning pro, that would be awesome...however I have a lot of work to do (specifically in the swim/run departments) before I can seriously entertain that thought, hence the season long "focus" I am contemplating. I also just see these two areas as the biggest places I can make gains in my performance the quickest.

Buck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It doesn't sound like you're taking into account the intensity on the bike or the swim if you're planning on keeping the track workouts the way you intend to. You have to take into account the interactions between swim, bike and run and it doesn't appear that you are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the "university track team" is that a college track team? what event do you run for them?

Dan Meehan
Coach / Athlete
Quote Reply
Re: Critique Swim/Run focus, Bike maintenance [Granpa Chook] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
College track team. I just started, running 1500m and 3000m. As for taking into account the intensity of the other workouts, thats what I'm tryin to kind of work out for the biking: where to put them. Generally Wednesday morning sets are less quality for swimming, Monday and Friday are the intense sets. I had pegged potential Wednesday rides as being relatively moderate in intensity, so out of the weekdays Wednesday and Friday (which currently is only a swim day) would potenitally both have less intensity and volume compared to the rest of the weekdays depending on what workout scheme I end up going with. Again, the 3 evening practices I'd like to keep are mon, tues, and thurs. Morning run workouts are still tba with the track team, but i could still do an easy/mod run by myself to get that 4th workout in.
Quote Reply