Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cracked Paint or Frame on Guru Crono?
Quote | Reply
I recently developed several cracks in what I assume is the finish on my beloved 2006 Guru Crono. It all started at Eagleman this year when it sat out in the heat all day. When I got home while I was cleaning the bike I saw straight, linear cracks on the downtube (right across the G in Guru) and also on the seat tube just above the front der. I recently completed IMLP on the bike and had no issues.

Now my question: how can I be sure the cracks in the finish aren't actually cracks in the fiber frame beneath the finish? I don't really want to chip paint off to see, so I'd like to avoid that as much as possible. I also have a few more races this year so I can't really part with the bike right now while I send it back to Guru. Any insights into this matter would be geatly appreciated.
Last edited by: tripoet: Aug 7, 08 12:32
Quote Reply
Re: Cracked Paint or Frame on Guru Crono? [tripoet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any chance you can post pictures? I developed the same issue on my 2006 Crono right at the seat post clamp. Unfortunately, mine was a separation of the clamp from the carbon. I sent the bike back with the Guru bus at IMLP the day after the race. Had it repaired and repainted. It shipped today so I can have it for IMWI in 4 1/2 weeks.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Cracked Paint or Frame on Guru Crono? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll try to post a photo tonight. The cracks are hairline, straight, run the circumference of the downtube and seattube. Annoying! I love this bike! I want to trust it during descents and such, you know what I mean?
Last edited by: tripoet: Aug 7, 08 13:09
Quote Reply
Re: Cracked Paint or Frame on Guru Crono? [tripoet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I gotta believe that is something to do with the paint. I know there were a few issues w/ the 2006s. Something about humidity during the drying process. Definitely post pics, as detailed as you can get them.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Cracked Paint or Frame on Guru Crono? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try tapping above, on and below the line. If the sound varies as you move there may be a resin/layup separation. With woven carbon fibers under a clear coat you will normally see aclouding indiciating some sort of stress in the resin. If you haven't dinged/wacked the frame lately I'd lean toward cosmetic. I had it happen on my Giant TCR due to cold weather. If it's a very straight/geometric shaped line I'd be a little more worried because it may be following one of the junctions or layup lines.
Quote Reply