Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Could use some success stories re: returning to training post cardiac cath
Quote | Reply
Doing ok, odds are all goes well and back at it in a few weeks. But, sure could use the mojo boost of hearing about you or someone you know that had a strong return to 'competitive' training after some cardiac stents get placed.

I'm about to turn 50. History of high cholesterol that I did a poor job of accepting statins would help and never got on a regular regime. Once I heard that this was familial, I pretty much decided I was safe and my numbers would always be high. Have always been so active and 'healthy' that I would go years between primary care doc visits.

I've been training for 20+ years now. More training than racing. Adopted the lifestyle. Diet has gone from bad in my 20s and early 30s and evolved into almost great in my 40s. I say 'almost great' b/c I have superb control over my food choices throughout the day but I tend to let my guard down in the evening and eat like my 20 year old self. BMI is 22. And, I really focus on all of those other recovery things, too (ie...sleep is good).

I just found out this week that 2 of the majors in my heart (RCA and LAD) are extremely clogged up and I'll need stents.

I'm the luckiest man alive right now. (N of 1). My training is very, very consistent. 8-12 hrs/wk. A balanced mix of low HR biking with the right proportion of sweet spot and threshold work....so, there's enough High HR stuff in there that I've been working the pump out, rest it, repeat it. Same for the run. More biking than running. Swimming is just a recovery tool that I use for technique work and is very low stress, 2-3x /wk.

I had noticed around Nov/Dec that some of my outdoor rides were getting more difficult on the attacks on the climbs and the fartlek style ramp ups the groups would do. My work of breathing def got harder and def took longer to recover from after the effort but I would grind thru it. I was working harder but still hanging on to the faster guys. Just noticed it was harder than it had been in the summer. But, chalked that up to getting close to 50 yrs old.

I had noticed shoulder and scapula pain but I chalked that up to some back workouts.

I had even noticed that going up stairs was slower and I was having to focus on my breathing...Pacing up a couple of flights of stairs? WTF?!?!

Then, I started noticed chest tightness. Hard to describe, not the 'Elephant on my chest' tightness, but tight enough that I kept trying to take huge breaths to open it up and it never seemed to help. Thought this might be a respiratory thing due to the season or all of the N95s I have to wear at work breaking down or clogging up or whatever.

So, as I am about to turn 50, my wife convinced me to start going to the doc and being a more responsible dad/husband/patient. We did the CT Calcium Score test and that's how this chapter got started.

Luckily, we're acting on this due to the diagnostics and not the big MI or widow maker that starts with me lying on the side of the road in TimBukTo.

Big Picture is getting through this and taking care of my wife and fam for years to come.

For the athlete in me....as long as nothing goes bad in the procedure, I'd like to think that I'd be able to return to training at some point and that I might even get a little physiologic boost from opening up these two main pipes!

I think it's huge that I have been working with an awesome coach for almost 2 years now. I connected with him because I work a ton and had limited time to train. Even though I don't race much (nobody does these days), I wanted to get the most out the little time I had, needed to stay competitive even when it's just hanging with the buddies and groups. He has a ton of experience with masters athletes. He has seen this before. There's no doubt that my best play is to get cleared for training from the docs and then I just have to turn over my training plans to my coach. I promise you that if I were still self coached in this sitiuation, I know I would get in my own way and totally sabotage my potential for a successful return to training.

So, that's my current place.

PLEASE share some success stories so I can continue to look forward to my future with sport still a major part of it!

"Outwork your talent." Kevin McHale
Last edited by: morpheus: Jan 16, 21 6:06
Quote Reply
Re: Could use some success stories re: returning to training post cardiac cath [morpheus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and, for those of you that have been around here for a minute....I couldn't help but to take a second and remember our friend Chris G., accomplished IM and all around great dude for community and family, who passed away within sight of the Philly Marathon finish line. There's no doubt in my mind that I was headed that way.

"Outwork your talent." Kevin McHale
Last edited by: morpheus: Jan 16, 21 6:03
Quote Reply
Re: Could use some success stories re: returning to training post cardiac cath [morpheus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How did you do after the stents were placed?

I feel like I may be going down the same road you described.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Morpheus,

It sounds like with your attitude you are a success story.

I'm not a medical professional but like you have enjoyed training and competing, so don't misconstrue what I say as medical advise.

My story started at the age of 62 as I was training hard for Boston and setting adult PB's in local running races. Cutting to the chase, I went from what I thought was excellent health to attempting stents (unsuccessfully) to five by-passes. Needless to say I did not race in Boston. I spent that time recovering. I did race again before the summer ended.

With the help of an incredible medical team I was able to get back to a lifestyle that includes training and racing. It also gave me the opportunity to look at my life and the choices I made (and to continue to make) in a different light. There is the very black and white, can I train and race again. But for me there was also the very gray emotional and spiritual choices I felt. Before the surgery I thought I was Superman and was going to race well into my eighties.

I don't know what I'll be doing in my eighties, but I am better acquainted with my why's. And maybe that is the best success story I could hope for.

Good luck and Best wishes moving forward.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hope you have a smooth recovery. There are definitely a bunch of success stories on ST. I'm sure a few will chime in. I've been extremely concerned lately as I know more and more people having problems and I'm the same age as you. you'll be back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had much of the same story as you before I had the stents placed in my LAD this past March 28. I won’t go into details of life before.

Life since has been about getting back to it. In the weeks after my stents, I started with long walks then a really anxious first day back in the pool where I walked up to the edge than backed down several times before popping in to do about 1200y. I built my runs back slowly. Now, I’m swimming or running 5-6 days/week for about an hour at a time.

In May, I had a few “speed” run workouts, where I picked up the intensity. Maybe because of summer heat, I haven’t gone back to that and I feel slower.

The probable reason I feel slower is that I was prescribed a beta blocker, which has lowered my BP and HR. The first few minutes of my run feel slower: likely bc of the reduced HR, but also bc I’m still a bit worried. My runs and swims have not been as fast as before, so I asked my cardiologist if I could quit the beta blocker. I’m only a few days into reduced dosages, and on a few days, my HR was a bit high and all over the place, but it seems to be stable. I plan on full quit after today or tomorrow.

I think I just came to terms that with all the meds I’m taking, which you will have to take, getting all the way back might take a few months. I take aspirin (which will be a lifelong Rx), a statin, an anti-coagulant (that everyone with stents has ti take for up to a year). I used to go about 4000m in an hour, easily, in the pool, and now I’m topped out at 3800. My running pace is probably 9:25avg, where I used to go 8:30 or faster.

I bought my first garmin watch after the procedure. I don’t know what my average pace was before, but I feel that I ran faster before. I see that I can’t break out of the 110-115 range until about 15 mins into a run, but that could change. I’m glad I have another chance, so I’ll be okay being slower…. for now.

Note: I have to be lots more careful when I shave my face. I’ve had a few nicks that bled way too much. I’m glad I always flossed before since I won’t have to worry about bleeding gums that never stop.

Good luck. Be patient with the meds and you’ll be fine.
Last edited by: 140triguy: Aug 16, 23 17:49
Quote Reply