Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Corn Syrup
Quote | Reply
What simple sugars is corn syrup comprised of? 80% dextrose, 20% fructose?

Thanks,
greg
Quote Reply
Re: Corn Syrup [yawg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
who cares...

just dont touch the stuff....

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
depends on the method of preparation.

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wouldn't it be 100% corntose?
Quote Reply
Re: Corn Syrup [aus_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was wondering if corn syrup could do this:

Oxidation of Combined Ingestion of Maltodextrins and Fructose during Exercise.
Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 37(3):426-432, March 2005.
WALLIS, GARETH A. 1; ROWLANDS, DAVID S. 2; SHAW, CHRISTOPHER 1; JENTJENS, ROY L. P. G. 1; JEUKENDRUP, ASKER E. 1
Abstract:
Purpose: To determine whether combined ingestion of maltodextrin and fructose during 150 min of cycling exercise would lead to exogenous carbohydrate oxidation rates higher than 1.1 g[middle dot]min-1.

Methods: Eight trained cyclists ([latin capital V with dot above]O2max: 64.1 +/- 3.1 mL[middle dot]kg[middle dot]min-1) performed three exercise trials in a random order. Each trial consisted of 150 min cycling at 55% maximum power output (64.2 +/- 3.5% [latin capital V with dot above]O2max) while subjects received a solution providing either 1.8 g[middle dot]min-1 of maltodextrin (MD), 1.2 g[middle dot]min-1 of maltodextrin + 0.6 g[middle dot]min-1 of fructose (MD+F), or plain water. To quantify exogenous carbohydrate oxidation, corn-derived MD and F were used, which have a high natural abundance of 13C.

Results: Peak exogenous carbohydrate oxidation (last 30 min of exercise) rates were ~40% higher with combined MD+F ingestion compared with MD only ingestion (1.50 +/- 0.07 and 1.06 +/- 0.08 g[middle dot]min-1, respectively, P < 0.05). Furthermore, the average exogenous carbohydrate oxidation rate during the last 90 min of exercise was higher with combined MD+F ingestion compared with MD alone (1.38 +/- 0.06 and 0.96 +/- 0.07 g[middle dot]min-1, respectively, P < 0.05).

Conclusions: The present study demonstrates that with ingestion of large amounts of maltodextrin and fructose during cycling exercise, exogenous carbohydrate oxidation can reach peak values of ~1.5 g[middle dot]min-1, and this is markedly higher than oxidation rates from ingesting maltodextrin alone.

(C)2005The American College of Sports Medicine[b]

As you see they use a corn-derived MD and F solution. So instead of buying overpriced sugar solutions at the local tri shop you could instead buy low cost corn syrup at your grocery store.
Quote Reply
Re: Corn Syrup [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Wouldn't it be 100% corntose?"

hahahaha. as sydney greenstreet might put it, "yessir, it is as you say."

what you wrote is pretty silly, i don't know why i think it is so funny.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
that's crazy....

not the idea but the occurence....

just last Saturday night i was hanging with a bunch of ph. d candidates at the UT performance lab and we were discussing the same study....

very interesting

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
check out http://www.grainprocessing.com/

I just received samples of Maltrin (Maltodextrin) 585 and 500 last week in the mail. I will order a 50lbs bag once I used it up. Still working on some forumulas of how to mix it. 50lbs bag is the least they sell and it should cost you about 1.30 - 1.40 $ per pound. At 3.8Cal/g that is a pretty good deal :)

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I looked the other day at the store, and all the brands were mostly High Fructose Corn Syrup.... For some reason I was under the impression it was Glucose.
Quote Reply
Re: Corn Syrup [theswiss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
50# of MD is quite a lot. Upon arrival you may want to consider dividing the bag into smaller containers. Three 5 gallon paint buckets from your local hardware store work quite nicely. Be sure to buy lids. This is for moisture control.
Quote Reply
Re: Corn Syrup [theswiss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You probably already realize this but the maltodextrin will go bad quite quickly once you mix it up. Any wild yeast around and you will have a nice brew going. I would mix small batches and try and be as sterile as possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No corn syrup is not pure glucose. Pure glucose is called dextrose found in hard powdered candy like sweet-tarts, etc. If you ever want to get kids revved up quickly then sweet tarts are the way to go. Instant energy.

Corn syrup is dextrose and dextrin which is a longer chain carbohydrate. Maltodextrin is an even longer chain CHO. Corn syrup contains no fructose unless it is a form of High Furctose CS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With a little math you could hit this ration.

The maltodexrin has already been discussed, sucrose being half glucose and half fructose it seems that you go with 50% maltodextrin and 50% sucrose by weight to get the 2:1 ratio used in the study.
Quote Reply