Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Copies of race pics?
Quote | Reply
Who makes copies of the race pics you purchase? Why can't you make copies at the drugstore but easily make copies at home?

I made some copies of a finisher picture to include in Christmas cards this year (hmmm...irony). I took the proof to a drug store which had a picture maker, essentially a copy machine for pictures. I attempted to make some copies of the finisher pic. I will attest, you did have to accept some agreement that these were not photos from a professional photographer. I feel since I paid $100 for 5 pics that these pics were now mine. There's nothing that says "Copyrighted Material" any place on the pics. Given that, I attempted to make a bunch of wallets of my pic. Easy enough...right.

So I go to make the pic and the first guy watched me as I made a copy. Actually, he stood over me like a hawk. I told him I knew how to work the machine but he stood there the entire time anyway. It actually creeped me out about the way he stood there. Anyway, he typed in the password to print out my pics and I was on my happy way...or so I thought. His "boss" comes up before I'm about to pay for my copies, looks at my pictures and asks "Is this professional?" I said "No." He said "I'm sorry, I need to confiscate these. These are copies of a professional and what you're doing just isn't right." I went back and forth with this guy for a few minutes and his defense kept saying "I'm confiscating these (the copies). What you're doing just isn't right." I told him I'd just go somewhere else to do this and he just replied "That just isn't right." Um...okay.

I went to the same store but another location and had zero problems making the copies. The guy even gave me the password to the picture maker and didn't watch me like a swarming vulture over a festering carcass. I actually liked my pics here better. I got my pics and left.

First, my take is (flame away if you must) some minimum-wage-makin' clerk has more morals than me...big deal. He must have the financial wherewithal to pay insane prices for some copies from the prof. photog. It really doesn't make sense to me since I figure I already paid for them and then some. Secondly, I really don't feel sorry for the photographer who could be losing money on me since he already gutted me to begin with. Finally, I think "I should have torn those up...that guy was creepy!!" Now some creepy man and his equally creepy co-worker have 10 copies of my pic which also have my race number and first name on them. Ew.

So, am I going to hell or jail for this? Will I receive a "Cease and desist" letter from the photographer? Will my family be accessories to my crime? ;) I wish this didn't bug me but it does. The creepy man and his damn "morals" got to me. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Copies of race pics? [TriGirl1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you got had by some pervert wanting a copy of your pics. I would send a complaint to that store immediately and demand your copies back, or proof they have been destroyed.

You PAID for the professional shots. They are YOUR property now. Period.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my understanding...

We're talking the US, right? Yes, the copies that you bought are yours. But, the content of the photos are copyrighted by the photographer, and so it is illegal for you to make additional copies of them without obtaining permission first. The content is their livelihood, and so they are legally entitled to get paid for it. Depending on how old the pictures are, and what the photogs policies are, they may just allow you to make a few copies for personal use, or you may have to pay them for them.

I believe there have been successful lawsuits by photographers against stores that have allowed these copies to be made (especially if it's a big chain). That's why the people managing those machines are supposed to be checking things. If it's 'easy' to identify them as professional, that's one thing - but if there's no apparent stamps, markings, etc., it's their call, and they have the right to refuse you. (Now, you could have insisted that they destroy the fresh copies in front of you)

If the pros' photos are too expensive, then your other choice is to have a friend or relative go out on course and take some photos of you; then you can copy to your heart's content.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've noticed that brightroom sometimes has the option of ordering a high quality digital copy of the race photo in addition to the other options. I suspect that's eventually how this problem will be solved. Instead of paying outrageous prices for a hard copy of the photo, you'll pay outrageous prices for an electronic copy, and you'll have license to do whatever you want. Of course, they'll still offer hardcopies in frames, on coffee mugs, etc, but I think the licensing/copyright issues are on their way out.
Quote Reply
Re: Copies of race pics? [TomH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had the same problem with some Noethern lights shots that I had a professional develop for me. the national chain refused to let me make copies on the machine until I got a release from the pro's shop which he gave me as it was my intellectual property. So I went back to the national chain 2 weeks later to make another copy for a friend same manager would not allow me to without a fresh release. They are paranoid about this, and the professional photogs will sue.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply