Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Coolest bike name?
Quote | Reply
Reading all the posts about different bikes got me thinking about their names. What bike do you think has the best name? Personally, I lean towards Litespeed's line of bikes...Vortex, Saber, Blade, Firenze, Bella, Sienna, Tachyon (as a Star Trek geek, easily one of my favorites). I also like Softride's Rocket.

Least favorite would have to be something along the lines of P2K, Trek 2200, etc. (mind you this is no reflection on the actual bike, just the name).

What do you think are the best names and what are some you haven't seen yet that you would love to have along your top tube? (I can't believe Hyperdrive hasn't been taken...Oh wait, Lucas would probably sue. Or maybe it's because it didn't work half the time :)
Quote Reply
Re: Coolest bike name? [trifan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the Pinarello Dogma - I'd like to have one too.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kuota Kalibur...

I'm biased because i'm looking at her right now, and enjoy riding her, even though she sometimes makes me hurt.....'down there.'

Still a cool name, 'k's' are strong, just like the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Coolest bike name? [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right, K's are strong. That's why Roddenberry used K sounds a lot (Kirk, McCoy, Spock, Klingon, etc.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought this thread would be about naming one's bike - the factory "stock" names don't do much for me either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

i'm kinda partial to my: Slingshot

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like names that are not that obvious. Why Blackberry for a smart phone, why Starbucks for a coffee. I actually don't even know why Starbucks, but Blackberry has a whole philosophy behind it that relates to the product. Naming something light a feather or something fast a Jet fighter is so lame. I agree that names like P2K or R2.5 don't seem very special, but all have a specific reason behind them that have nothing to do with the letters and numbers. But since we decide not to really talk about it very often, it's logical that I like the names a lot better than you do. But that's OK.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Re: Coolest bike name? [Quadzilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If I do refer to the Kuota by anything other than 'the Kuota' it's 'Halle', because it's black and it's a dream to ride.

Gerard, you guys should come out with the Cervelo Gerard, just to shake things up a bit.

And yes, it took me the better part of 4 months on these boards to figure out that the name under the funky green bike in all those TriMag Cervelo adds was you.

Maybe the 'Cervelo Vroomen?' it sounds fast, right?
Quote Reply
Re: Coolest bike name? [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I for one would like to know the origin of the model numbers/names, particularly R2.5. I'll guess that R is for Race and perhaps 2.5 for the first frame weight in pounds? For the P2K, did it first come out in the year 2000?

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Coolest bike name? [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I for one would like to know the origin of the model numbers/names, particularly R2.5. I'll guess that R is for Race and perhaps 2.5 for the first frame weight in pounds?

Nope. It was the first frames that was (in part) developed with CSC's and Riis' feedback (of course we had started development a few years earlier). We wanted to somehow acknowledge that, but without naming it after CSC or Riis. So we took the ii as a Roman numeral for 2, and an S is basically the same shape as a 5, so that it spells R2.5 or RII5. The period (which we call a "silent dot", whatever that means) is just to make sure people wouldn't say R twenty-five. But yes, it is also a road frame and it did weigh around 2.5 lb. at that time.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"We wanted to somehow acknowledge that, but without naming it after CSC or Riis. So we took the ii as a Roman numeral for 2, and an S is basically the same shape as a 5, so that it spells R2.5 or RII5. The period (which we call a "silent dot", whatever that means) is just to make sure people wouldn't say R twenty-five."

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I love this site.

Keep going Gerard, you're on a roll.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
... which we call a "silent dot", whatever that means ...
The "silent dot" separates "cool" from "posers." Cool people will say "two-five", whiles posers will say "two point five."

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Coolest bike name? [Quadzilla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I thought this thread would be about naming one's bike - the factory "stock" names don't do much for me either.
My no-weld chopper bicycle is named "St. Vincent de Hose-Clamp" ... is that what you were going for???

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't remember who, but I believe a North American manufacturer had a European model named (I kid you not), "The Dirty Sanchez."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Gerard, that is the first interesting thing I have learnt today, and to celebrate that I shall call it a day and go down to the gym! I will also stop calling it a R two point five instantly, and check for an explanation of the P2k on my return.

Happy Tuesday to you.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a tri-bike my vote would go to Quintana Roo . I think it´s a lovely name, and I like the fact (as far as I remember) that they just chose it because it sounded cool. So it has nothing to do with the mexican city.

For a mountainbike it has always been Jeff Lindsays "Mountain Goat Whisky Town" . I often consider buying one of the old steel frames just because of the name.

Oh, and for overall I would vote for Moots with their Vamoots, Psychlo-X, Mootaineer, Rigor Mootis ...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Guru TriLite.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lived in China a few years back and had a bike named "Flying Pigeon" while my wife rode a "5 Rams". Both were beach cruiser style and weighed about 100 lbs each - solid steel frame I think. Typical Communist issue bicycle. Good fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easy: "mine" ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty much anything by Obea I think is cool. My next road bike will definately be one of those. Coolest colors/best paint/overall cool design.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Re: Coolest bike name? [cowtippers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That opens up a whole new bag of contenders, English names in the chinese language. One of my favorite is Great Go, a Taiwanese factory. The parts are so nice, you don't just go, you great go. Or whatever they thought when they came up with that name.

Or how about slogans? My all-time favorite is Columbus for some new steel type. The slogan was "when a myth becomes a legend". No idea what that means.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe the SL line is for Steve Larsen........ Is this correct??

Jim
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lotus. Period. There is no better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised there isn't a Litespeed Fat Doctor or a Cervelo Bandwagon.
Quote Reply
Re: Coolest bike name? [BLACKSHEEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like ANDERSEN, because they are the bikes I BUILD!!!!

Kurt Christian Andersen
Quote Reply

Prev Next