Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Considering Felt F60
Quote | Reply
Considering Felt F60 to replace my hybrid for 2005 duathlon season. Leaning toward F60 to stay within budget. Fitting is on Sunday.

Any feedback on the bike. I saw Dan's Felt reviews.

Thanks,

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Considering Felt F60 [Mark DeCotis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm. Are you sure you need the triple? The F65 is the same price but with a double. Maybe you dealer would swap for a compact crank.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Considering Felt F60 [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tom: thanks for the reply. the F60 is on the LBS floor and on sale and within my budget. The triple/double isn't an issue for me right now. Excuse the dumb question but should it be?

thanks again,

mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, here in flat Michigan triples are kind of a dog on the sales floor. We don't buy many here, maybe just a couple a month.

My beef(s) with triples are:
  • Longer cage rear derailleur is heavier, more flexible in the cage, is slightly slower to shift since the bottom cage has to move through a farther range of motion for the shift to be completed.
  • Your chain is longer, heavier, more flexy since it's now longer.
  • The width of the crank is increased substantially, at least the spider of the crank, to facilitate the extra ring.
  • Crossover gears are usually total Jihad.

I'll argue a compact solves all of that and gives you low enough gears to get up darn near anything. I wasn't a believer in compacts until Gerard mentioned on this forum a long time ago that he put one his P3. He might be a grump, but he knows his stuff. So I figured I'd try it. Very nice.

-Just a thought. What does your dealer think?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>-Just a thought. What does your dealer think? <<

That's one of the questions I will ask on Sunday. thank you. BTW, I am located in Florida. Only climbing I do for now is on causeways.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good luck Mark- let us know what comes of it.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom and Mark,

Thanks for the dialogue. I, too, am considering a road bike purchase in Jan/Feb timeframe. However, due to mountainous, altitudinal, and fitness considerations, the triple is something I am leaning toward. I haven't yet been to look at any Cervelo or Kestrel models, but checked out the Trek Equinox and 5000 (maybe it was the 5500--too many numbers), Felt models and the Specialized Roubaix. The Roubaix has little bumpers integrated into the carbon seatstays, forkstays and seatposts and sure looked like an interesting concept.

Opinions on that product? I was wondering about the durability/performance of those bits of eye candy.

TIA from a lurker and Happy Holidays,

:)

Survivor.
Quote Reply
Re: Considering Felt F60 [survivor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Survivor,

Initially I thought the Specialized concept with the elastomers was a pretty rough gimmick. Yesterday a customer was in our store who owns one and I asked him about it- "Isn;t that a bit gimmicky? do you think it works for you?"

He explained how it is supposed to work and I could see that it could be beneficial. I would have to read more and maybe even ride it to form a more informed opinion.

It looks like an interesting and possibly valid concept worth checking out.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom or anyone have any comments about the quality of the wheelset for the Felt F60/65?... I don't know anyone who knows anything about the Alex 220 wheels... how would they compare to the Velomax Vista SL wheels on the F55?
Quote Reply