Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Congratulations Seattle
Quote | Reply
Since we all obviously consider ourselves healthy I wonder how many of you consider you city healthy?

Magazine Names Seattle Fittest U.S. City
January 06, 2005 12:21 PM EST

SEATTLE - Seattle has been named the fittest city in the United States in the February issue of Men's Fitness magazine, leaping past the buff competition from Honolulu, Colorado Springs, San Francisco and Denver.

Exercising faithfully and shunning fast food boosted Seattle to the top from No. 6 last year, Men's Fitness Editor in Chief Neal Boulton said.

"Eighty-five percent of Seattle residents get some exercise every month, and that's a really significant thing," Boulton said. The city's jittery love affair with espresso might fuel some of that activity, he noted: "There's not only a lot of it, it's pretty darn strong."

In its nonscientific Seventh Annual Fattest and Fittest Cities Report, the magazine compares 50 cities by weighing 14 factors, including fast food restaurants per capita, TV watching, air quality, and parks. In Seattle, for example, sporting goods stores and gyms outnumber fast food joints - a key statistic.

Houston was named the fattest city for the fourth time in five years, followed by Philadelphia, Detroit, Memphis and Chicago.

Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels praised the city's many walking trails and called the fitness of his fellow residents "inspirational."

Nickels said he made a New Year's resolution to get in better shape by walking with his wife and working out at a gym near City Hall.

"It's pretty hard to go more than a few blocks without seeing a gym," Nickels said.

Seattle's claim to the fitness crown makes sense to Doug Sherry and his Wheaten Terrier, Bing, who walk the three-mile path around Seattle's Green Lake every day, rain or shine.

"Everyone I know does something," explained Sherry, 35, who also hits the gym several times a week. "There's lots of good terrain to walk and bike and hike. You're close to the water, you're close to the mountains."

His advice for those seeking to emulate Seattle's healthy ways?

"Enjoy the outdoors," Sherry said. "And get a dog."

---
Quote Reply
Re: Congratulations Seattle [armytriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I grew up in the Seattle area and still love the place. Even though there's a lot of traffic congestion these days, there are certain places that are packed with joggers and walkers like Green Lake, which looks like rush hour during the weekends. My dad was one of the very first joggers I can remember in my Bellevue neighborhood after reading "Aerobics" by Kenneth Cooper in 1968, running one mile as fast he could every day in his army boots.

Don't know of many triathletes from the area as I moved out of town before taking up the sport. Is it a strong triathlon community? Can't imagine riding in constant drizzle like they have there 9 months out of the year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And as someone who works in Philadelphia, I can only imagine how fat and unhealthy Houston must be to warrent a lower ranking.
Quote Reply
Re: Congratulations Seattle [JDub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also has the highest suicide rate with the 330 days per year of rain/no sun..... but maybe this keeps the percentage of fit people up high compared to the runner up cities (all who have almost 330 days/yr of sun).

-------------------------------------------------
Latest Duct tape QR Superfull fashion model
Quote Reply
Re: Congratulations Seattle [JDub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had a sisters who lived in both Seattle and Portland. Both would explain to me that for 3 mos of the year they had the best weather one could imagine...likened to the best spring day we have in VA. But for the other 9 mos. it was grey, rainy, cold, and misreable.

Both had to buy those box lights for SAD and one gained alot of weight while there but now has consistently run under 4hrs for marathons.

I marvel at the folks who can train up there for tris...I must say that it's a beautiful area...but the rain must get old..
Quote Reply
Re: Congratulations Seattle [yeahitsgotahemi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep...the suicide rate is crazy up there. Same family members would tell me that they would be held up going or coming to/from work because they had a jumper on some bridge up there again....
Quote Reply
Re: Congratulations Seattle [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is BS. Although Tacoma was the nations most "stressed city" of which suicide rates was considered along with crime rates etc..
Quote Reply
Re: Congratulations Seattle [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the 6 years I commuted on I-5 for work, we were held up once by a jumper. So, don't get the idea we've got bridge jumpers on a weekly basis!

Yes, our winters are dreary, but it doesn't rain as much as you would think. Granted, many days are overcast, which I think is what people really mean when they gripe about the weather. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels praised the city's many walking trails"

Note: He said nothing of our poor to non existent bike lanes.

Great city though, few other places I would like to live. 50 degrees, light drizzle…. now that is perfect running weather.

Quote Reply
Re: Congratulations Seattle [gbrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got baack from my lunchtime run In SF. A balmy 60 degrees anc clear blue skies. Ran along the Embarcadero where there were lots of runners taking advantage of the early spring weather, at Aquatic park there were at least 6 people in the water doing their swim workouts...2 sans wetsuits. And there were of course the ubiquitous bikers everywhere.

I dunno what Seattle has on us.

----------------------------------------------------------
"A society is defined not only by what it creates, but by what it refuses to destroy."
John Sawhill
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its funny that the person (Greg Nickels) responding to us being the fitest city is overweight and out-of-shape. At least he has a resolution to fix this (yeah right). The weather here isn't that bad. The spring and summer is amazing. The mountains and the backroads east and south of Seattle are awesome for riding. Lots of great hills. There is a thriving triathlon and bike racing community. IM Canada and IM CDA are within 4-5 hours driving distance. Hawaii is only 5 hours away. You can ride most of the winter, but you need fenders and rain gear. Lots of great gyms. Lots of great lakes to swim in starting around May. Cars are pretty friendly to bikers (much better than Texas).

- Steve
http://bailey.sts.winisp.net
Quote Reply