Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Congrats to Rappstar, anyone know how many Watts he averaged on the bike?
Quote | Reply
Also curious if anyone has a picture of him on his rig? Any estimate of his CdA. I know he spends a lot of time working on his aeroness. What kind of wheels and tires is he using? Thanks
Last edited by: iron3fit: Apr 13, 08 21:33
Quote Reply
Re: Congrats to Rappstar, anyone know how many Watts he averaged on the bike? [iron3fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you could probably PM lakerfan for his wattage info...

(sorry, couldn't help myself)

;)

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Re: Congrats to Rappstar, anyone know how many Watts he averaged on the bike? [iron3fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know actuals, but his plan was to ride the same wattage as he did last year at IMC - so ~290 normalized.

He talks about his prep and race strategy here: http://simonwhitfield.blogspot.com/...f%20light%20thinking

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: Congrats to Rappstar, anyone know how many Watts he averaged on the bike? [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that what he landed up doing or what he only planned on doing? I see that the video blog was taken 4 weeks out. Maybe he did more? Thanks
Last edited by: iron3fit: Apr 14, 08 7:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What ever it was, it was pretty spot on for the race yesterday. I think that the question some still have about Jordan's cycling abilities can be laid to rest now. TJ has been noted as a superior cyclist, one that is an off the front kind of guy like David Thompson, Bjorn, and Norman. Jordan put 5 minutes into him, and then out ran him. That is a nice result for him. I watched him out ride David in Clearlake, and it was the same M.O., negative split the ride to the end, or perhaps he just holds a steady power, and others fade and it looks like negative splitting. ANd he is setting up for a good run all the while, just not focusing on a top bike split. Now we just have to get that swim where it ought to be, 55 minutes, ouch!!! I will have him here for a couple weeks, I'll see if I can't do something about that. I guess the swim does matter, a medicore 54 would have given him the win....Great race for all the top guys though, exciting as hell, just too bad that only one gets to win, they all deserved a big payday.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At IMC, Rappstar's NP was 289 Watts!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sent the file to those guys. I'm guessing someone will parse it up. Please remember to trim the running in and out of transition!! ;

I *think* it will be about 285 avg // 295 norm.

Zipp 999 clinchers with Michelin Pro3Race tires & Michelin latex tubes.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Congrats to Rappstar, anyone know how many Watts he averaged on the bike? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome race. Congrats. Have you been to a wind tunnel to optimize your position, or just through your own trial and error approach. Any estimate of your CdA that you would care to share?
Quote Reply
Re: Congrats to Rappstar, anyone know how many Watts he averaged on the bike? [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We'll have to rely on Lakerfan to parse up the data and post it. This is the amazing thing about ST....someone asks about the top biker in a weekend Ironman and before you know, between the pro that put down the smoking split, and all the various fans and "analysts" the data is "in motion" awaiting presentation to the forum....too cool!

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I *think* it will be about 285 avg // 295 norm. "

Wow...My first triathlon was Mooseman 1/4 in 2005 where you rode the 1/2 in 2:28...I remember watching you guys go by and thinking "Wow...those guys are super fast." ...now that would be a recovery ride for you!

You must be a lot more aero now! ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was it fairly windy out there yesterday? Given your good position for an IM triathlete, I would have expected 285-295 watts to yield faster than 24.7 miles per hour for you. I would have thought a nice aero setup with 999s and PR3s would give 4:30 (ie 25 mph) at about 265 watts. Any insight? Am I way off? Are you still low 160s?
Quote Reply
Re: Congrats to Rappstar, anyone know how many Watts he averaged on the bike? [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He goes 4:32, but your math says he should have gone 4:30??? You guys are just getting too caught up in the math I think. Remember there is a human body in the equation, and that has to make any formula +/- a few % points, so I think the math pencils out on this one......
Quote Reply
Re: Congrats to Rappstar, anyone know how many Watts he averaged on the bike? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Flanagan was suggesting that 265 nets a 4:30 split....not 280+

Monty, it is, after all, Monday morning....you gotta let all the armchair analsysis take off in full flight :-)

We now need a full ST panel of experts to debate all the nuances :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Congrats to Rappstar, anyone know how many Watts he averaged on the bike? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got it, I'll leave the higher math to all the Einstein's here. I guess it is fun to play with, if that is what you are in to. I remember back when Paulli Kiru used to live and die with this stuff(HR only though). HE would predict to the minute what he should do in an Ironman. He would often be off, but usually not by much, it was pretty scary sometimes.....
Quote Reply
Re: Congrats to Rappstar, anyone know how many Watts he averaged on the bike? [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Given your good position for an IM triathlete"

i know this may throw a wrench into your calcs, but jordan does not have a good IM position. he has a spectacular one, in terms of drag relative to his size. but to your point, he's also very tall and lanky, and i think the guys who are tall and thin and leggy (jordan's about 6'1" and a buck fiftyish, with the leg length of a guy 6'3" or 6'4") have to overcome a frontal profile penalty. jordan's very good at mitigating this, but i suspect that might be why it takes 285w or 290w to go a 4:30.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jordan!!!

great race man, you rock

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jordan, a huge congrats!! I was extremely happy to see you race so well.

For show pony's amusement... Here are his numbers:

AP = 278w
NP = 284w
IF = .74 - .75 (based on FTP of 380 - 385w)
VI = 1.02

That puts his TSS no higher than 250. If you remember, very similar power to IMC (AP = 279w;NP = 289w). He ran ~3min faster at IMAZ, fwiw.

Thanks, Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Congrats to Rappstar, anyone know how many Watts he averaged on the bike? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
He goes 4:32, but your math says he should have gone 4:30??? You guys are just getting too caught up in the math I think. Remember there is a human body in the equation, and that has to make any formula +/- a few % points, so I think the math pencils out on this one......

We all know that a well-executed IM isn't all about the math. The math establishes a foundation for our strategy and gives us targets to shoot for but those who do well will listen (and react) to their body intently throughout the day.

Thanks, Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Congrats to Rappstar, anyone know how many Watts he averaged on the bike? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"Given your good position for an IM triathlete"

i know this may throw a wrench into your calcs, but jordan does not have a good IM position. he has a spectacular one, in terms of drag relative to his size. but to your point, he's also very tall and lanky, and i think the guys who are tall and thin and leggy (jordan's about 6'1" and a buck fiftyish, with the leg length of a guy 6'3" or 6'4") have to overcome a frontal profile penalty. jordan's very good at mitigating this, but i suspect that might be why it takes 285w or 290w to go a 4:30.

speaking of over analyzing...yes, he has a superb, spectacular, outstanding IM position. if i recall correctly though, and i am not going to go back to look at posts from last year or the year before, jordan averaged something like 306 watts at the florida half in 2006 or 2007 and he went something like 2:06 or 2:07...now the details are getting a little fuzzy.

both courses (IMAZ and FL 70.3) are flat. so i am guessing it was a lot windier yesterday, is that the case? based on his HIM races at ~300 watts, I would think he would have gone faster yesterday.

with all of that said, don't get me wrong. i am not trying to detract from his race at all! jordan had an awesome race. i would just be interested in any difference between his current IM position and his previous 70.3 positions as well as any differences in the course or conditions.

finally, maybe i am getting this all wrong and i dont correctly recall his previous 70.3 data...

nice race jordan!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMAZ course is not completely flat

Click here for course

Also there was some wind

Click here for weather
Last edited by: iron3fit: Apr 14, 08 10:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting observations so far...

He rode .78 in the 1st half and .71 in the 2nd half -- his variability was a bit higher in the 2nd half too (1.01 vs 1.03). However, he rode ~3mph faster in the 2nd half. There are some huge changes in power and speed for periods of 30 or so minutes. I see fairly long periods where Jordan was going as low as ~18mph and as high as ~32mph. He definitely took the strategy of more, yet very constant (eg VI = ~1.01), power into the headwinds and less, yet more variable (eg VI = ~1.04), power with a tailwind. Clearly it was very windy out there. Correct?

Thanks, Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Contratulations on a great race Jordan!

I hope Jonnyo has better luck in his next race and THE Sergio a speedy and compleat recovery.

Take care all.

Sergio Escutia

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: English is not my first language. Please read this translated post considering that.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on a CdA of 0.22 (pretty damn good) you'd need about 250W to ride that speed. As little as 2mph of head/crosswind would put you into the 275ish range, so the numbers are perfectly reasonable. Keep in mind there's also a difference between crank watts and rear wheel watts, and riding off the front means you don't have the continuous "on your left" draft train.

I know all about not paying attention to wind in my estimations. I rode a half last year at ~245W but failed to notice that the insane winds (20+mph) meant I went 2:25 (23.2mph) instead of the expected 2:12ish (just over 25mph). The extra 15ish minutes on the bike at the same power definitely hurt! Smile

Mad
Quote Reply
Re: Congrats to Rappstar, anyone know how many Watts he averaged on the bike? [triguy42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CdA of 0.22 seems a bit low, but then again I don't know what Jordan's measures. As a point of reference, I remember seeing an old table from biketechreview.com and Zabriskie's CdA was estimated to be 0.19.
Quote Reply
Re: Congrats to Rappstar, anyone know how many Watts he averaged on the bike? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry if it's already been asked/answered...but is Jordan going to race Kona?
Quote Reply

Prev Next