Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Concentrated liquid nutrition for 70.3
Quote | Reply
I looking for a different nutrition option for a 70.3.

I now use isotonic sportsdrink in combination with 3 or 4 gels during the bike. To be able to digest the gels better I also have a bottle of water. This results in taking at least 3 bottles with me during the bike (in the Netherlands, on course nutrition is not always available) and a bento box for gels.
To clean up my bike and make nutrition easier, I wanted to get rid of the gels. What seems ideal to me, is to have a one bottle with concentrated liquid nutrition for calories, and another bottle for hydration and maybe electrolytes. Maybe I have to take two bottles for hydration but I want to have enough calories in the 'nutrition' bottle.

My question is, what are the options for concentrated liquid nutrition? I guess you can just dilute some gels in a drink bottle, or put in an extra scoop of sportsdrink powder in a bottle. Are there other options?
-Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: Concentrated liquid nutrition for 70.3 [Timmetje] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First Endurance. EFS Liquid Shot. It is awesome.

http://firstendurance.com/...efs-liquid-shot.html One bike bottle and you are good to go for a 70.3. Buy the large container. In the USA it is $29 for 30 oz

I use the Kona Mocha. A little sweet for my taste BUT this stuff works. I use it on my long training sessions. Anything over 16 mile runs or 2 plus hour bike rides. Hydrate with EFS and you will be bonk proof. . I want to try other flavors and find something less sweet, but overall I am very pleased. It doesn't have any gelling agents in it so it digests very well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a 70.3, I'll have concentrated Infinit (custom blend) in an aero bottle on the downtube, and water in a BTA bottle, refilled if/as necessary.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carbo Pro
You can mix 1000 calories in one bottle and then put 3 gels in for flavor,caffeine, and taste.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I make my own mix of 50% rice syrup, 25% agave syrup, 25% honey, plus some lemon juice and salt. That works well and tastes better than gels or concentrated sports drinks.
Quote Reply
Re: Concentrated liquid nutrition for 70.3 [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the many ideas already!

As mbwallis suggested, I aim to use a aero bottle on the downtube for my concentrated liquid nutrition, and BTA for water (maybe with some salt/electrolytes). I'll look into the ideas mentioned.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like someone said, Carbo Pro is great,

I was mixing 4 scoops of CP and 4 scoops of Gatorade Endurance in one bottle. It worked perfectly.
Quote Reply
Re: Concentrated liquid nutrition for 70.3 [Jamie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jamie, do you just carry this in a bento or something and take sips throughout a 70.3 or do you put it in a water bottle? You then only carry a water bottle? This seems very interesting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long do you expect to take to complete the course?
Quote Reply
Re: Concentrated liquid nutrition for 70.3 [nchristi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nchristi wrote:
I make my own mix of 50% rice syrup, 25% agave syrup, 25% honey, plus some lemon juice and salt. That works well and tastes better than gels or concentrated sports drinks.

^^ do this - cheaper and tastier than expensive sports mixes

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I second First Endurance Liquid Shot. I use a regular bike bottle (16 oz) filled halfway with Liquid Shot (7 or 8 "shots") with ~2 oz of water on top to make it less viscous in the bottle. I take a shot every 20 minutes. I then have one bottle between the arms for hydration. Depending on temperature, I may start with First Endurance drink (if hot) or just water and only take water on the bike course. Assuming aid stations every 15 miles, this is more than ample fluid for me. Whether you can get by with one hydration bottle depends on your time between aid stations and hydration rate requirements.
Quote Reply
Re: Concentrated liquid nutrition for 70.3 [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run water in the BTA, EFS concentrated on the down tube for electrolytes, and carry a liquid shot in a pocket on my jersey (or bento box) for extra calories.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used one concentrated bottle for 70.3 rides: 4 scoops Carbo pro, 2 scoops EFS. That is ~600 calories total. Chase that with plenty of clear water. If I need more calories I supplement with gels.

*I have not tried EFS Liquid Shot but that sounds really interesting from the other poster.
Quote Reply
Re: Concentrated liquid nutrition for 70.3 [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trev,

My bike time is about 2:15, with a finish time of 4:10 to 4:15.
Quote Reply
Re: Concentrated liquid nutrition for 70.3 [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just put about 18 OZ in a 24 oz bottle with the remaining space filled up with 6 oz water.

It is about 100 calories per OZ.

I carry one water bottle for a 70.3 for nutrition.

I use a frame mounted Speedfill for my drink needs. http://www.invisciddesign.com/standard.htm

I am doing my first full this August 16th at IMMT and plan on having 2 bottles full of EFS liquid shot. 40 OZ and roughly 4000 calories.

I am going to have the speedfill filled with 40 oz of EFS drink and I will grab gatoraide and food on the bike as I go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For races I also use EFS Liquid Shot to keep it simple. About 900 calories Liquid Shot diluted with water for about 3hr bike. Only BTA bottle for water and a Liquid Shot fuel bottle. I only use it for races, since it gets expensive. My alternative for training is EFS drink + CarboPro. 1 EFS Liquid shot flask on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hammer Nutrition Sustained Energy or Perpetuem can be mixed as concentrated as you need.

Hammer Gels can also be mixed with water if you don't want the protein/fat.

You can add Enduralyte Powder to the mix if you expect it to be hot and want additional electrolytes without carrying/taking capsules along the way. If it's going to be hot, I put a base level of Enduralytes in my nutrition bottle, and supplement that with capsules depending on the temp and how I feel.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nchristi wrote:

Could you provide more specifics on this mixture? What brands are you using? How much are you using per standard bottle of water?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Concentrated liquid nutrition for 70.3 [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For both half and full ironman's, I also use concentrated Infinit Go Far (4 scoops instead of 2) in a bottle behind my seat. A couple teammates put in 5-6 scoops however when I use more than 4 scoops I couldn't keep it down. I put water BTA which I access more frequently than the bottle behind my seat keeping me aero. Gels/chews/salt tabs in the top tube bento box. This keeps my down tubes free and clear of any bottles and I think more aero.
Quote Reply
Re: Concentrated liquid nutrition for 70.3 [Jamie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jamie wrote:
First Endurance. EFS Liquid Shot. It is awesome.

http://firstendurance.com/...efs-liquid-shot.html One bike bottle and you are good to go for a 70.3. Buy the large container. In the USA it is $29 for 30 oz

I use the Kona Mocha. A little sweet for my taste BUT this stuff works. I use it on my long training sessions. Anything over 16 mile runs or 2 plus hour bike rides. Hydrate with EFS and you will be bonk proof. . I want to try other flavors and find something less sweet, but overall I am very pleased. It doesn't have any gelling agents in it so it digests very well.

Do you just do the Liquid Shots only or do you add in any of the other EFS products like the EFS Pro (the powder)? I've done concentrated Infinit with 2.5 servings (for a half or 2x bottles for a full) and EFS Pro (2.5 servings) but found the EFS Pro to have too much of a chemical taste when concentrated. I'm curious to see if just the Liquid Shots over a 5.5 hour IM ride was "too much".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GU Roctane or 32gi Race Mix. They each pack about 240 and 270cal respectively per serving, taste nice (GU is a bit tart, which I like during races). One bottle between the arms, one behind the saddle and I'm good to go for a HIM. I find both of them agree well with my stomach.

If you need a few more calories it's easy to mix just a slightly more concentrated mix, the GU is mild enough in taste for it to be ok.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Concentrated liquid nutrition for 70.3 [TxDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No specific brand, it's found in organic shops. Everything is approximately 300 kcal for 100 grams (probably a little bit less). For a HIM I'll put something like 900 kcal in a small bottle, so 150g of rice syrup, 75g of agave syrup and 75g of honey, the juice of half a lemon and a little bit of salt. I add enough water to obtain the desired consistency, and usually end up with half a small water bottle of a light syrup. I weight 70kg, and that's for a 2h20 bike.

I'm very prone to side stitches and have also bonked hard on the run before, but this year I've used this mixture twice with great results. I've had very strong runs with no stomach/gut issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Concentrated liquid nutrition for 70.3 [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I keep the EFS liquid shot and the electrolyte drink separate. I guess you could mix them, I have never tried. It might taste like crap??

EFS liquid shot in my bike bottle(s) and EFS drink in my speedfill. I pick up additional water and sports drink on the course at aid stations as needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi nchristi,

Thanks for the recipe! Tried it yesterday and worked perfectly. I used in on a four hour ride and was pretty suprised that I only needed the concentrated drink and water, and didn't feel any different than with 'ordinary' nutrition. I must say though, I didn't really like the taste ;) But I have the stuff anyway and will try it some more times.

Otherwise, I guess I can also just squeeze out some gels in a bottle and add a little water for the consistency.
Quote Reply