Re: Computrainer vs. Buy Power vs. Mag/Fluid [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
Either one of these is a good choice:

$35.31 Garmin GSC 10 Speed/Cadence sensor
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BFNOT8

$39.99 Wahoo Fitness Premium Speed and Cadence Sensor
http://www.wahoofitness.com/...ence-Bike-Sensor.asp

The 305 would be considered a "head unit". You computer becomes a head unit when you use TrainerRoad, so no need for the 305. We connect directly to the sensors.

Ah hah. I get it. That makes sense. Cool - I already own the Garmin GSC sensor. Will be giving TrainerRoad a try later. Great concept - hope it works out for you guys (as well as myself!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You guys are AWESOME. thank you soo much!

Lifelong Endurance Coach
Triathlon - Running - Cycling - Nutrition
Check us out online to see what we offer
http://www.lifelongendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer vs. Buy Power vs. Mag/Fluid [deathb4DNF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with the others, and this is not to Knock Computrainer, but the "better" option would be to go with some form of Power Meter and a good indoor trainer like a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine.

Also agree with a few others that for winter-bound athletes, a higher intensity, very focussed approach to indoor riding with max 60 to 90 min sessions is much better than slogging and sweating away hour after hour. Swim more and run more in the winter - seriously

In fact, if you really know what you are doing and are tuned in with Perceived Exertion and Heart Rate, you could forgo the PM - but if relatively new to cycling, and this sort of training, the PM can be a very valuable tool - note that last word very carefully.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just ordered the ANT USB stick, speed sensor and HRM strap and signed up for a beta account last night. The idea behind Trainer Road sounds great and I wish you guys lots of success. I cant wait to try it out.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer vs. Buy Power vs. Mag/Fluid [caius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweet! Thanks!

We hope it works out too :).

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer vs. Buy Power vs. Mag/Fluid [deathb4DNF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would highly recommend a power meter and a road-feel trainer like the Lemond Revolution (http://www.lemondfitness.com/...65/lemond-revolution). Invest in equipment that you can grow your fitness with, both indoors and outdoors.

AndyF
bike geek
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer vs. Buy Power vs. Mag/Fluid [AndyF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you guys are overlooking the most important feature of the Computrainer. That is erg mode. I took a look at that TrainerRoad thing and all it is doing is recording what you do on the trainer. With a CT in ergmode (personally I use Ergvideos) you set up your workout and it FORCES you to put out the required watts, automatically adjusting the load if you change your cadence. Basically you set up your ride, configure the warmup, configure the intervals with appropriate recovery between them and it keeps you at the required watts for the entire ride. With Ergvideos setting up these rides is quick and simple. If you feel like doing a set of 4x20s at 90% ftp just select the ride (they have a lot of preconfigured rides), drop the slider from 100 to 90 and your are good to go.

I have both a Quarq and CT and if I could only pick one it would be the CT. While I do occassionally do intervals outdoors, I find ride where I need to keep myself in particular zones, much easier to control indoors. When I'm outdoors, it's just too hard to keep looking at my power. I'd rather watch out for potholes and cars trying to run me down.
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer vs. Buy Power vs. Mag/Fluid [packetloss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that ergmode is really cool on the computrainer.

We have structured workouts just like ergmode, but with TrainerRoad you have to shift, that costs $10. The non-shifting version costs $1,700. ;)

All joking aside, having resistance set for your workout is cool. We are going to add support to control the computrainer, power beam pro, and hopefully Tacx and Elite if they get back to us :).

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm new to training with power after a stint at the local Y on the computrainer and loved it. Purchased a Powertap from competitive cyclist to go with my Edge 800 and just signed up for your Beta. TrainerRoad sounds just what I need to see me through this winter and emerge stronger for next year's events. Can't wait, good luck with the future, I think you're on to a winner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
We'll also support courses later.

Sounds awesome. Can you elaborate on this?
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer vs. Buy Power vs. Mag/Fluid [writhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Umm...we don't want to give away too much so I'll let your imagination run wild. :)

We think we have some unique ideas so we don't want to let the cat out of the bag yet.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Re: Computrainer vs. Buy Power vs. Mag/Fluid [atomic916] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! We didn't even pay you to write this :).

Depending on your schedule you may want to try the first four plans in a row. They are meant to be built on top of each other.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
I agree that ergmode is really cool on the computrainer.

We have structured workouts just like ergmode, but with TrainerRoad you have to shift, that costs $10. The non-shifting version costs $1,700. ;)

All joking aside, having resistance set for your workout is cool. We are going to add support to control the computrainer, power beam pro, and hopefully Tacx and Elite if they get back to us :).

It's actually a bit more than just shifting. It will keep your power averaged to what it's set to no matter what your cadence is. I know you are half joking on that, but ergmode is really the best aspect of the CT. You can even pick up an old non pro NES version for under $300 and use it in ergmode with just the handlebar controller.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
packetloss wrote:
.... You can even pick up an old non pro NES version for under $300 and use it in ergmode with just the handlebar controller.

If you can find one.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find the CT sessions harder than the straight trainer. Its something about the resistance increasing as I get tired and slack off a bit. The added force on the pedals is a kick in the pants to work harder. I just got mine and have only like the ErgMode. My ErgVideo are arriving next week and I can;t wait to try them. Indoors is not as good for my brain as outdoors. But it is much better workout

Brian
“Eat and Drink, spin the legs and you’re going to effin push (today).” A Howe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually never really liked erg mode on the CT, it's fine that it makes you ride at a certain power output regardless of your cadence but I find when using my Quarq I have to focus on maintaining my cadence, proper technique etc in order to hold a certain wattage, I think it's more realistic using a Quarq than aimlessly knocking off set wattages in erg mode.
Quote Reply

Prev Next