Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Component compatibility
Quote | Reply
Will there be any problems running an Ultegra 6601 crank ("10 speed") with a drive train that is all 9 speed (front and rear der., chain, cassette)? Or should I stick with a 9-speed specific crank.
I have early versions of FSA carbon cranks on 2 of my bikes and the crank arm bolt on the non-drive side continues to loosen and will not stay tight on both bikes. So it is time to replace both of them. Other economical suggestions?

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Re: Component compatibility [zeusrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No problems. Cranks aren't 10 speed or 9 speed, really. It'll work fine. I'm running a 10 speed compact crank on a full 9 speed setup on my road bike.

But, have you tried loctite on your crank? It comes in different strengths, I'd start with the lightest one. I assume you're torqueing it correctly.

Punching cockroaches from day 1.
http://www.tri-junkie.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Component compatibility [Hounddog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
once the old fsa bolt comes loose even red won't always hold it.

you need a new bolt, at least.

Hounddog wrote:
No problems. Cranks aren't 10 speed or 9 speed, really. It'll work fine. I'm running a 10 speed compact crank on a full 9 speed setup on my road bike.

But, have you tried loctite on your crank? It comes in different strengths, I'd start with the lightest one. I assume you're torqueing it correctly.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Component compatibility [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got a new bolt from FSA, but I am worried about installing it. Should I try it (with or without Loctite? what color?) or just pull it off and put on a new crank?

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zeusrun wrote:
I got a new bolt from FSA, but I am worried about installing it. Should I try it (with or without Loctite? what color?) or just pull it off and put on a new crank?

I say give it a try with some red loctite. Carry the allen wrench to fix it around with you for a couple weeks just in case. If it comes off again, you can go go with a 105 crankset or ultegra.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran a 7800 (10s) DA crankset with a 7700 (9s) DA chain, cassette, and derailleurs for a season. Never a problem. You may be able to fix the FSA in the short run, but in the long run I'd say a Shimano replacement will perform better anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hounddog wrote:

A couple of years ago when I bought a 10 speed Shimano crank for my 9 speed Shimano system I encountered a problem in moments of cross-chaining that was annoying and occasionally scary. The side of the chain would touch the big ring and occasionally want to skip up a bit. So effectively I lost a gear. And if I ever forgot or didn't realize, I struggled to get out of that gear as fast as possible. So I asked here and that yes there are 10 speed cranks and 9 speed canks. Whether or not that's true, the width of the 9 speed cassette (it's wider than a 10 speed cassette) combined with the spacing of the 10 speed crank rings (they are slightly closer together) as well as, I presume, the different chain, was just enough to cause this problem. It never occurred with an all-9-speed system and it went away when I switched to an all-10-speed system. I was unable to adjust my way out of it on the mixed system.
Last edited by: JoeO: Apr 5, 11 12:40
Quote Reply
Re: Component compatibility [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, I could see that. Tolerances can be tight, and cross-chaining only makes it worse...but what are you doing cross-chaining anyways? HTFU. *smile*

Punching cockroaches from day 1.
http://www.tri-junkie.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No problems. I run a 6600 crank with 7700 DA and C-Record brakes, works great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cranks aren't speed specific.

DJW
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although I get your tone there, I can certainly see someone who thinks "Don't Cross Chain" is the same thing as saying "it works perfectly". It doesn't. At least it didn't in my case. If the gears are there, I am going to use them. YMMV
Last edited by: JoeO: Apr 5, 11 13:10
Quote Reply