Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Compatibilty of Sram TT shifters and Nokon cables?
Quote | Reply
I am upgrading to 10 speed, finally and moving to SRAM. I plan on using/ trying Nokon cables, but recently read a review on how they do not work well w/ Nokon cables. Any input would be great.
S
Quote Reply
Re: Compatibilty of Sram TT shifters and Nokon cables? [bella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't see why it would be a problem. The Nokon bits are just a different type of housing for the cable to run through. We haven't installed any of the TT shifters but I know that the normal SRAM shifters use typical shifter cables so the cable diameter shouldn't be a problem.

The setup of the shifters can be finicky getting everything to shift well with the Nokons. My guess is that it would actually be easier with SRAM since they have a 1:1 cable pull ratio.

-Darrell

Quote Reply
Re: Compatibilty of Sram TT shifters and Nokon cables? [Darrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. I figured it should work well, but after reading a review about SRAM the tester expressed an issue w/ shifting so they switched back to regular cables. My LBS is pretty technical so they can deal with it for me.
S
Quote Reply
Re: Compatibilty of Sram TT shifters and Nokon cables? [bella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The initial setup is tricky as the cables stretch out a lot and on normal housing the housing stretches a little too. The difference in cable stretch is much more noticeable with Nokons. After my initial ride I couldn't use my largest 2 cogs. After that initial stretch, you shouldn't need to adjust them very much at all. My guess is that the tester didn't let everything settle in or adjust afterwards.

I used the Nokons for a little over 2 years until the cable needed replacing. My plan was to put a new liner into the Nokons but of course I needed it done quickly and never found the time. I'll put Nokons on my bike again this winter when the store is slow.

-Darrell

Quote Reply