Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Commonwealth Games Predictions / Coverage
Quote | Reply
I know there are others out there who are following this. Anybody have any predictions for the Men's, Women's and Mix Team events? Does anybody have any information for watching the games live / stream event afterwards?

Mens Race:
Brownlee
Browlee
Murray

Womens Race:
Duffy
Gentle
Learmouth

Team Relay:
Team GB
Team AUS
Team CAN

------
"Train so you have no regrets @ the finish line"
Last edited by: PushThePace: Apr 3, 18 20:36
Quote Reply
Re: Commonwealth Games Predictions / Coverage [PushThePace] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's a bit disappointing that they have gone for a sprint distance race rather than the typical standard distance. TV friendliness and all that I know, but it seems to make it even more of a case of just being the fastest runner.

Pretty hard to bet against the Brownlees in the men's...

I hope Charlotte McShane does well in the women's.

I think it will be close between Aus and England (GB competes as individual countries at the Comm Games) in the relay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Yes - looking forward to the Empire Games tomorrow.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brownlees are not the favourites in the men's race IMHO, I'd be looking to Murray, Schoeman or one of the young Aussies.

The Bs will need to (and of course are perfectly capable of!) get away on the bike and have a bit of a lead at T2 to be in with a shout IMHO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In smaller races, any weakness will be shown. If Murray somehow comes off with the Brownlee's than 100% Murray FTW. But dont forget about Matthew Hauser, one of the bests swimmers and he can run very well over 5k. He's my dark horse.

Women's race? Duffy 100%...

PushThePace wrote:
I know there are others out there who are following this. Anybody have any predictions for the Men's, Women's and Mix Team events? Does anybody have any information for watching the games live / stream event afterwards?

Mens Race:
Brownlee
Browlee
Murray

Womens Race:
Duffy
Gentle
Learmouth

Team Relay:
Team GB
Team AUS
Team CAN

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Re: Commonwealth Games Predictions / Coverage [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can the Brownlees get a gap on the bike and can anyone stick with Duffy on the bike are the big questions.

The fact that Alistair took the opportunity lead the English team out in the opening ceremony, I think demonstrates his ambitions for the win are more on the speculative side. Usually he'd be resting with his feet up.
Last edited by: messien: Apr 4, 18 4:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so I am poking around for coverage, it looks like ESPN3 is covering the PTWC races on Saturday which I think is the paratriathlon?

"one eye doubles my eyesight, so things don't look half bad" John Hiatt
Quote Reply
Re: Commonwealth Games Predictions / Coverage [salmonsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
salmonsteve wrote:

Yes - looking forward to the Empire Games tomorrow.

My favourite Empire Games moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP_NzZP_LK0

Bannister vs Landy, first time dual sub sub 4 in competition Empire Games 1954 in my home town of Vancouver!

I do agree with one of the posters on this thread that going to 750/20/5 makes it a wet hair blowdry track race (luckily we're pretty sure that Mo Farah suck in swimming and won't crank off a final 3:58 closing mile in the 5000m and beat Bannister and Landy virtually too).

I think a better format would have been 5000m run + 750m swim + 20K ride. Now that would be fun to watch. Brownlees rip up the run so that the swim ends up being a long line of singles, and then on the bike, you have all these groups of 2 and 3 trying to build back on each other and become groups of 5-8 and reel back in the front of the race so it either ends up as a breakaway win or a sprint finish (and yes, pro triathlete can likely control their bikes sprinting)

Really I think this is missed oppportunity to showcase the sport in an exciting way. I'd actually make this a 1 mile run + 400m swim + 4K ride with multiple rounds. This is still a 15 minute event and the athlete who has the physiology to win at 15 min is pretty well the same as 50 min.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PushThePace wrote:

Mens Race:
Brownlee
Browlee
Murray

Womens Race:
Duffy
Gentle
Learmouth

Team Relay:
Team GB
Team AUS
Team CAN

I'm not sure AB has been doing much running recently. Certainly he hasn't been joining JB in the run session. However, I don't see Murray being a factor. I think that HS, some Aaron XXX and the Brownlees will work very hard on the swim/bike to get a gap. Given the field will not have the depth of an ITU race weak swimmers will be exposed.

I think that Vicky/Non will challenge for the win. I still can't believe we aren't bringing back Jodie, the defending champion, to race. Bloody selectors!
Quote Reply
Re: Commonwealth Games Predictions / Coverage [r0bh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
r0bh wrote:
Brownlees are not the favourites in the men's race IMHO, I'd be looking to Murray, Schoeman or one of the young Aussies.

The Bs will need to (and of course are perfectly capable of!) get away on the bike and have a bit of a lead at T2 to be in with a shout IMHO

I think the sprint might be a good choice for the CWG until more countries have developed their Tri programs. Historically the CWG (like the olympics for that matter) have had some of the highest lap out percentages of any ITU Elite races (on one hand you have the Brownlee, Duffy, Snowsill types, and on the other hand, you have countries who's team would compare to front-middle of the pack age groupers from the stronger countries, so many got lapped out on the bike and never made it to the run)... With the sprint, there's a better chance that more of those athletes will survive the bike without getting lapped and be able to complete the run...

I like Richard Murray, but I suspect that it'll be tough in this format for him to have a solid shot at the podium. Unless he nails the swim and gets out within 10seconds of the Brownlees, I suspect you'll have a lead group with the likes of the Brownlees, Schoeman, Matt Hauser, and possibly Mislawchuk or Sharpe. If that group gets a gap, I'm not sure there's enough firepower with enough motivation in the chase pack to help Murray bring back the gap, and if the gap is over 30sec at T2, I can't see him running down the Brownlees... He'd have a good battle with Birtwhistle to maybe have a shot at the bronze trying to nab Schoeman or the Canadians (I suspect they will be able to chase down Hauser).

In the ladies race, I suspect we'll have a Duffy/Learmonth/Coldwell lead group off the swim, and I'd guess the podium to have some combo of Duffy, Gentle, Learmonth (wildcards being Jo Brown, if she's recovered from the broken shoulder in Abu Dhabi, Non Stanford and Charlotte McShane)
Quote Reply
Re: Commonwealth Games Predictions / Coverage [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised nobody has tipped Andrea Hewitt. I figure she's safe money for a podium - smart, experienced, and always in the mix.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Women: I think Gentle may surprise due to the sprint distance, her running is getting better

I love that it has gone to the sprint however I lament that sprint swim is still a short 750m which renders it meaningless. I know they just used available event distances in each to come up with the distance but I wish they made some further consideration for the swim.

Men: Hard to choose between birtwhistle and murray but i'd say birtwhistle since I feel Murray hasn't been on form recently.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Commonwealth Games Predictions / Coverage [messien] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
messien wrote:
Can the Brownlees get a gap on the bike and can anyone stick with Duffy on the bike are the big questions.

The fact that Alistair took the opportunity lead the English team out in the opening ceremony, I think demonstrates his ambitions for the win are more on the speculative side. Usually he'd be resting with his feet up.
You are kidding right? Of course he both wants to win, and believes he can. Him leading the team is a great honor, not a sign of being unfit.
I would love to see the numbers from the bike leg as the 🇬🇧 will be putting down massive watts to get a break.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PushThePace wrote:

Mens Race:
Brownlee
Browlee
Murray

Womens Race:
Duffy
Gentle
Learmouth

Team Relay:
Team GB
Team AUS
Team CAN

eh, I going to go Brownlee, Brownlee.......I dont think it will be Brownlee, Brownlee...see what i did there? haha
Quote Reply
Re: Commonwealth Games Predictions / Coverage [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
messien wrote:

You are kidding right? Of course he both wants to win, and believes he can. Him leading the team is a great honor, not a sign of being unfit.
I would love to see the numbers from the bike leg as the 🇬🇧 will be putting down massive watts to get a break.
Usually the Brownlees don't attend the opening ceremony so as not to fatigue their legs (or maybe run the risk of getting a cold) - they didn't attend London or Rio. Of course as you say, it is indeed a great honour to walk out with the flag.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is anyone having luck streaming via 7 Plus? https://7plus.com.au/live-tv

I keep getting the message that they're experiencing technical difficulties but wonder if I'm being geoblocked.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Apr 4, 18 16:11
Quote Reply
Re: Commonwealth Games Predictions / Coverage [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm getting the same technical difficulties.
They did let me watch the ads first. :)

Anyone else have a live feed to watch from the States?
Quote Reply
Re: Commonwealth Games Predictions / Coverage [oprfcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im in Oz streaming the games at https://7commgames.com.au/live/1
Quote Reply
Re: Commonwealth Games Predictions / Coverage [Jezza78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
None of the sites loading here in CA. Has the race started? If so, how about some of you watching putting an update every once in awhile..Thanks..
Quote Reply
Re: Commonwealth Games Predictions / Coverage [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like Duffy won the women's race... saw it on someones Instagram feed

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Re: Commonwealth Games Predictions / Coverage [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://tvcatchup.com/watch/bbcone

This link is working for me.
Women's just finished. Not sure if I should spoil it.

Men will be on at 8pm Pacific time on this feed.

Right now the feed has heats of swim events...good way to wait it out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Good race to watch - fairly predictable result in such a small field.

Alistair to kill himself on the swim / bike to get Jonny a Gold Medal - up next?

SB.

http://www.sweat7.com
Facebook Page: Sweat7
Twitter: @sweat7coaching
Last edited by: salmonsteve: Apr 4, 18 18:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have the full results table?

Spoilers for the podium below:

Flora Duffy
Jess Learmonth
Jo Brown

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link! Works great for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Commonwealth Games Predictions / Coverage [ngtcor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Schoeman looks comfortable.
Quote Reply

Prev Next