Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Coming back from torn achillies
Quote | Reply
Hey...

Well I'm trying to get back in the game here after having a ruptured achillies last May.

My quad/glute power is about equal bilaterally, but my poor left claf is like 60% smaller (size and power) than my right thanks to being in a cast for 14 weeks.

I can run for about 10 min but my left foot is essentially flat vs. ball of the foot striking on my right side. I am currently doing a circuit of 15 min eliptical/8 min easy run/5 min fast stairclimbing. I started this a couple of weeks ago.

I'm looking at an 8K mid march going up thru Wildflower in May for my first Tri.

Anyone out here suffer that kind of injury and how was it to get back into racing? Any particular tips and tricks to rebuild?

Thanks!

Breakfast is for Closers
Quote Reply
Re: Coming back from torn achillies [140pt6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, best of luck. I had a very minor tear in my right achilles last winter, right at the insertion. I rested it a few weeks then spent all summer training at only about 85% for the run because it always bugged me. Nowhere near what you are going through so I can't imagine how difficult it would be coming back from a rupture.

I'm sure you will get lots of advice about resting and coming back slowly and easily. Just make sure to follow doctor's orders and don't push things!

Good luck.

Thanks!

Yeah... I did the full 6 months of PT thing and now I'm cleared to do as much as I can handle....

Breakfast is for Closers
Quote Reply
Re: Coming back from torn achillies [140pt6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ride as much as you can and take it easy on running. I ruptured mine a few years ago, came back too soon, and ended up with knee issues from the extreme muscle imbalances. I spent the following winter rehabing that, which was no fun. I'd suggest quite a bit of time in the gym working on balancing out the strength between your two legs. To this day I also continue to stretch religiously to try and avoid it happening again.
Quote Reply