Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Comeback season over before it began!
Quote | Reply
No, not any superstar's comeback, just mine. My last tri was Moo '04. I bought a bike and began training. Then a freak set of circumstances left me with a broken nose and ruptured achilles.

So what kind of timeline do I have here? A cast for two weeks, then.....

Breakfast is for Closers
Quote Reply
Re: Comeback season over before it began! [140pt6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Total rupture or partial tear?

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Comeback season over before it began! [docfuel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Total. Snapped in two pieces, but the bones are intact. The surgery was the ortho-clamp or something like that. A metal clamp placing the pices back together.

Breakfast is for Closers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I feel for you dude. That sounds like a rought day at the office. Hang in there you will be back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The "good news" is that the best rehab for an achilles rupture is cycling...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, really sorry to hear about your injury. I keep telling folks that our sports seems to cause more injuries than it stops. :o(
How old are ya? Getting to kona is much easier when you get older, so your best years are still to come.

Get well soon.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
A broken nose and a ruptured achilles? How does that happen simultaneously?

-
[pink]I don’t use pink font[/pink]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't kow about rehab of full rupture. Once you're cleared, cycling, seated spinning is good therapy, as is strenghtening of the calves, especially the soleus. Running takes a lot longer.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to bring up an old post.

I suffered a complete rupture of my achilles in October, 2006. Freak accident while on vacation in Mexico. It ruptured about 4-5" above the heel and had open surgery to reattach the tendon.

I spent 4 weeks in a cast and 4 weeks in a boot. During this time I did alot of well leg cycling, weight training. After the boot came off I added swimming with a pull bouy.

By December I was walking without the boot and cycling. By January I started running again (very slowly!) but still put in most of my hours swimming. I did do my first race after the injury, an off-road duathlon, in February to gauge recovery. I decided at that point to make a couple of HIMs in the fall my rehab goal and the IMAZ 08 as my "full recovery goal."

I'm back up to about 12 hours a week training with an emphasis on building up my right leg (single leg drills, weight training, etc) with a long run of 90 minutes. There is still quite the imbalance between the legs but its getting alot better. The imbalance brings on its on set of problems (hip and knee) but its getting better.

I'm not a spring chicken anymore at 43 which actually made me more aggressive in my rehab (feeling of "running out of time", haha, mid-life crisis).

I don't fear rupturing my right achilles but I do fear having the problem with my left achilles now which may be psychological... but my mind keeps playing the "it happened to the right achilles, what makes you think your left achilles is any better."

Good luck on your recovery. Get aggressive.
Quote Reply