Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Combining international races + vacation - What to do with bike?
Quote | Reply
I am one of many Ironman triathletes who like to combine racing with a back-end vacation. I know there are many of us, including those who can convince their families to go because they get an awesome destination vacation after the race is over. I am signed up for Ironman Greece 70.3 in April 2019. This will be my first time racing internationally. I plan to race first then spend another 10 days or so visiting a few Greek Islands. Right now, I have no problem flying to Greece with my triathlon bike. But in order to stay and travel, I need an option to ship my bike home. Currently Bikeflights / Fedex's one-way shipping cost is $940.45 - Ouch. I am open to any recommendations others may have - especially those of you who travel internationally often.
Quote Reply
Re: Combining international races + vacation - What to do with bike? [Trigirl357] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not sure if the Athens airport has this, but when I did Challenge Roth a few years ago, I was able to store my bike at the Munich airport storage for the following week. Was pretty inexpensive and easy to do.
Quote Reply
Re: Combining international races + vacation - What to do with bike? [TomTriesTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TomTriesTri wrote:
I am not sure if the Athens airport has this, but when I did Challenge Roth a few years ago, I was able to store my bike at the Munich airport storage for the following week. Was pretty inexpensive and easy to do.

Wow that would be a great option. I will definitely look into it. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: Combining international races + vacation - What to do with bike? [Trigirl357] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've done a few things

1a. leave it at the hotel. Did this in the EU. But I also knew that my first few nights and last night were in the same hotel. They didn't charge me.

1b. Leave it at a hotel if you are coming back through that way. When I did this I think they charged me something like $25euro's for the week. Only stayed the first night there.

2. Many international airports have a storage locker place. IIRC in SYD it was $8AUD/night.

3. Sell your bike after you race. Know a few people that have done this going to South & Central American races

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have posted storage at the airport your are in/out of is likely easiest. If you are traveling in/out of different airports look to have your bike shipped via the ‘local’ airline to your last hotel. At 70.3 worlds in AUS had my bike shipped from Brisbane to Sydney by Quantas for (I think) 85 bucks and was waiting at my last hotel for me. Super easy and my wife and I traveled for 2-3 weeks with just rollers.

Maybe a similar option in greece?

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes.... I've stored my bike at the airport a few times... last month at Munich Airport after Challenge Roth, last year in Johannesburg after Ironman South Africa.

Another option is a hotel where you are staying for a night at the beginning or end of the trip... e.g. the Hyatt in Buenos Aires was willing to store our bikes for us while we traveled around Argentina... we ultimately decided to just spend time in BA so didn't take up the offer but it's an option to consider. Of course, only works if you are returning to that city.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just leave your bike there. You should buy a new one anyway. /pinkish
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have done both of the storage types mentioned here, at the airport, and at my hotel. mostly it's been at an airport. my last time was a week ago, in denmark. there were lockers, but there was a small company which took larger things and i went with them. i think it was 10 euros a day. some places have been quite expensive, some moderate.
the key, of course, is to k now just what's available: size, hours of operation (this is a BIG, important factor) place in the airport, and cost. sometimes this has taken digging.
all in all, though, it's worked out as i'd wanted.
peggy
Quote Reply
Re: Combining international races + vacation - What to do with bike? [jeremyscarroll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeremyscarroll wrote:
Just leave your bike there. You should buy a new one anyway. /pinkish

Lmao. I just bought a new bike (TriRig Omni) that I will be racing with.
Quote Reply
Re: Combining international races + vacation - What to do with bike? [pmcdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pmcdc wrote:
i have done both of the storage types mentioned here, at the airport, and at my hotel. mostly it's been at an airport. my last time was a week ago, in denmark. there were lockers, but there was a small company which took larger things and i went with them. i think it was 10 euros a day. some places have been quite expensive, some moderate.
the key, of course, is to k now just what's available: size, hours of operation (this is a BIG, important factor) place in the airport, and cost. sometimes this has taken digging.
all in all, though, it's worked out as i'd wanted.
peggy

Thank you - this is all really helpful and I am excited there are options.
Quote Reply