Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: College doper. How widespread do you think this is? [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCDon wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
You may be right however on the High School level Texas is no longer going to test they were catching SO FEW athletes.

"Less than one-third of 1 percent of subjects testing positive (190 out of 62,892) at a cost of $9.3 million, according to the commission staff’s report."

just google that if you want to read for yourself...

"catching" is a key word. We can all quickly think of someone who didn't get "caught" while racing for a extended period of time. And I suspect that in high school, unless you actually have a bit of talent, doping isn't going to make a lot of difference, after all, you still have to put some serious effort into it. I would think the majority of kids in High School realize they are not going to turn pro and aren't going get a scholarship so the necessity to dope isn't there. JMHO.

I was responding to someone who said doping in HS was wide spread. That appears to be untrue. Unless you think that HS athletes have sophisticated methods for avoiding getting caught.
Quote Reply
Re: College doper. How widespread do you think this is? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

With high schools not having any testing and the ambition of parents, I'd be scared to know how many drugs higher level high school athletes are taking.

There have been HS random testing programs in Florida, Texas, Illinois, and New Jersey. None of them found much of anything. Detection rates <<1%. Florida shut down their program, and Texas may also.

NCAA random testing also has a pretty low detection rate.

Not much evidence for "widespread" use.

And I doubt that HS users have the sophistication to avoid avoid positives, micro-dosing, etc.

I do like the programs, as I believe in deterrence, however.
Quote Reply
Re: College doper. How widespread do you think this is? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
I would imagine its more widespread than most folks think. I read this statistic in "Double Runner" magazine this month: Synthetic EPO was introduced in 1989. Before that year there had only been one sub 13 min 5K performance. Since 1989 its been achieved 223 times. Nope, there are no drugs in track!

Nah, we have better coaches now. :)

Absolutely. Couldn't agree more with this comment. Don't forget the sport science support that athletes and coaches have now.
Quote Reply
Re: College doper. How widespread do you think this is? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chodroff, there's a name from past. I remember being at VoS when he obliterated Talansky, guys who'd done junior worlds and other legit TTers. It was like a :30 beat down and so obvious that even Hein would have called it out. But if there was a turn in the road the guy was headed straight for the curb.

It is shocking that someone with such a mis-calibrated moral compass is so easily pursuing a medical career.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: May 15, 15 17:57
Quote Reply
Re: College doper. How widespread do you think this is? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
j p o wrote:
the free weight section of Lifetime where people are doing nothing more than trying to look good.

If you're not competing, it's not doping. I have no problem with people messing around with hormones to look good or feel better. I have a problem when they line up next to me.
I keep hoping that USADA shows up at one of my SoCal bike races. They announced about two years ago they would, but never have. Rumor has it my district has rampant doping amongst the masters ranks. I don't know of any, though.

Weren't USADA at Dana Pt?
-SD
Quote Reply
Re: College doper. How widespread do you think this is? [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
It is shocking that someone with such a mix-calibrated moral compass is so easily pursuing a medical career.
Riiight, because if someone cheats in sports they're probably going to do bad stuff in lots of aspects of their lives. (Which makes me wonder how many MDs break the speed limit...)

I'm not defending his cheating, but his response was massively different than a lot of dopers such as Tom Danielson. He wrote to his team and contacts (paraphrasing) a statement saying "I cheated, I suck, I've let you all down. No excuses. All me. I'm gone. Sorry."

PS - I don't think I ever met the guy in person but we had mutual friends and he so friended me via Facebook with a very nice note.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: College doper. How widespread do you think this is? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:

Weren't USADA at Dana Pt?

They're at Dana Pt every year, testing the pros. NCC race and all I don't think it was the RaceClean program for the amateurs. I could be wrong, though.
Quote Reply
Re: College doper. How widespread do you think this is? [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Chodroff, there's a name from past. I remember being at VoS when he obliterated Talansky, guys who'd done junior worlds and other legit TTers. It was like a :30 beat down and so obvious that even Hein would have called it out. But if there was a turn in the road the guy was headed straight for the curb.

It is shocking that someone with such a mis-calibrated moral compass is so easily pursuing a medical career.

One of my former teammates told a story about how Chodroff was at the back of a pack or perhaps OTB (in a road race, i think), and some at the front of the pack crashed going into the turn. Chodroff rolled around by the time some of the guys were picking themselves off of the ground and managed to crash into one of the guys who just got up...

jt10000 wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:
It is shocking that someone with such a mix-calibrated moral compass is so easily pursuing a medical career.
Riiight, because if someone cheats in sports they're probably going to do bad stuff in lots of aspects of their lives.

in this case it's not just cheating in sports, it's cheating to become a pro athlete when you are a middle category racer. Cycling was his vocation for a few years, and he cheated to get the job and hold onto the job. A more apt comparison would be cheating on your boards or forging your transcript to get accepted. He cheated on the job, and that should call into question of his professional ethics regardless of the nature of the job.

Quote:

(Which makes me wonder how many MDs break the speed limit...)

I could care less about MDs breaking speed limit if it's 10-15 mph over. OTOH, i'd like to know how many MDs took adderall in undergrad and med school
Quote:
I'm not defending his cheating, but his response was massively different than a lot of dopers such as Tom Danielson. He wrote to his team and contacts (paraphrasing) a statement saying "I cheated, I suck, I've let you all down. No excuses. All me. I'm gone. Sorry."

it's a lot easier to say sorry when you have other options. It was never going to be his vocation, and he knows he had other options open to him should he get caught

[quote]
PS - I don't think I ever met the guy in person but we had mutual friends and he so friended me via Facebook with a very nice note.[/quote]he sure seemed to have charmed you...

he graduated the same year as I, and apparently we have a few mutual college friends. One of my really good friends rowed lightweight freshman crew with him and said he wouldn't trust anything important to Chodroff. You yourself made the snide (and perhaps self deprecating) remarks about ivy league students. This is a kid coming from a very well to do family, who was able to pursuing the cycling thing all the while racking up what must be a significant PED tabs. When he got snuffed out, no worries, he can fall back, lay low for a few years, and do something else.
Quote Reply
Re: College doper. How widespread do you think this is? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As for the original post, what is the voluntary disclosure?
Did he just feel guilty and confess?
Did someone rat him out?
His mail end up at USADA?

As far as my experiences, I knew a few dopers in both high school and college swimming. Never caught. There was no testing

In recent years racing cyclocross there is a fee chatged for doping; but there hasonly been tasting at UCI level races. Same at CrossVegas; testing is there but none for below UCI race. Masters and others can cheat knowing they won't be tested.
Quote Reply
Re: College doper. How widespread do you think this is? [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I would imagine its more widespread than most folks think. I read this statistic in "Double Runner" magazine this month: Synthetic EPO was introduced in 1989. Before that year there had only been one sub 13 min 5K performance. Since 1989 its been achieved 223 times. Nope, there are no drugs in track!

That's a remarkable statistic.
Quote Reply
Re: College doper. How widespread do you think this is? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
BCDon wrote:
ajthomas wrote:
You may be right however on the High School level Texas is no longer going to test they were catching SO FEW athletes.

"Less than one-third of 1 percent of subjects testing positive (190 out of 62,892) at a cost of $9.3 million, according to the commission staff’s report."

just google that if you want to read for yourself...

"catching" is a key word. We can all quickly think of someone who didn't get "caught" while racing for a extended period of time. And I suspect that in high school, unless you actually have a bit of talent, doping isn't going to make a lot of difference, after all, you still have to put some serious effort into it. I would think the majority of kids in High School realize they are not going to turn pro and aren't going get a scholarship so the necessity to dope isn't there. JMHO.

I was responding to someone who said doping in HS was wide spread. That appears to be untrue. Unless you think that HS athletes have sophisticated methods for avoiding getting caught.

If that is true then I am glad to hear. Though the articles about shutting it down included comments from the guy who pushed for it in the first place complaining about how poorly the testing was being performed. They cited a poll where athletes were self-reporting around 7% use.

But I don't know the numbers myself. My comments were coming from the POV that parents are willing to do almost anything to have their kids advance in sports. And combined with little testing it makes me fear what parents are willing to do.

And also add in my experience that dates back to 1985 where the over half of the guys in the 16 person suite I shared in college were taking steroids supplied by a member of Ohio State's tennis team. None of them were doing anything other than trying to look better. That makes me feel very much that if people think they can get ahead by doping and that if they think that they or others won't get caught, then they will dope.

And for those who say that if you aren't competing it isn't doping, most of these drugs are prescription drugs and most likely they are being taken illegally.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: College doper. How widespread do you think this is? [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, because he apologized to teammate quicker he's quite the humanitarian. Only thing he's sorry about is getting caught. He's a bigger loser than the rest because he never had the package to be at elite level to begin with.

I've long said this: doping doesn't make a donkey into a ProTour rider. Chodroff is a good example of an engine but not the skills.
Quote Reply
Re: College doper. How widespread do you think this is? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
You yourself made the snide (and perhaps self deprecating) remarks about ivy league students.
I'm pretty sure you started with the snide (and perhaps self deprecating) remarks about the Ivy League.

Carl Spackler wrote:
Yeah, because he apologized to teammate quicker he's quite the humanitarian.
No. He's just less bad than the guys that keep lying or blame other people.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: College doper. How widespread do you think this is? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I played baseball when I was younger, I'm from Australia but was offered a college scholarship at one of the 'big 5' in the U.S. in the early 2000's. I was told outright by the coaching staff that I needed to get on the T and HGH if I wanted to make anything of myself. I was 5'10" and 80kg of lean muscle at the time (all natural, 7 days a week in the gym). Needless to say I didn't bother going over.

I can tell you that back then that I would estimate a significant percentage of college baseball players were on stuff. The sport was riddled with it
Quote Reply
Re: College doper. How widespread do you think this is? [beachedbeluga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How quaint that people think there must not be much doping because not many test positive. Have these guys been living in a cave for the last ten years?
Quote Reply
Re: College doper. How widespread do you think this is? [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Little trade secret: They all jump.
Quote Reply

Prev Next