Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Collagen - supplement
Quote | Reply
Anyone taking collagen as a supplement? Experience - positive, negative, neutral?

Am flirting with the idea as i tend to get tendon issues despite significant strength & conditioning work and a thoughtful training plan.

Thanks in advance
Quote Reply
Re: Collagen - supplement [ejd_mil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been taking Youtheory collagen for about 2 years now. Get it at Costco. Can't say I notice any difference, but I know someone that did have bone mass analyzed before and then after taking it for a while and the density had increased.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been taking Swiss RX collagen or Momentus collagen after developing HIP injury in spring. Not sure if it is the reason or the 20 other things I did, but my hip feels good now. Picked those brands after reading blog from TheFeed.com.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just started taking Collagen from LifeVantage - supposed to be the premier stuff, in liquid form. I should notice a difference in 30 days and will let you know if my wrinkles get better, my nails are less brittle and maybe even my knee pain due to lack of cartilage improves.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife makes soups with pata de guinea

Chicken feet. I would imagine that has a good amount of collagen

I believe the originally studies were in chicken cartilage. And then supplement companies took a leap of faith saying that meant Glucosamine and Chondroitin.
Last edited by: MrTri123: Sep 17, 22 15:20
Quote Reply
Re: Collagen - supplement [irondave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you and thanks everyone.

Have just put an order for SwissRx. Hopefully that helps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take Solgar collagen and hyaluronic acid complex daily for years now, it's expensive but my joints are shot to shit after 12 years in the Army, think it makes a difference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Started taking mine after a podcast with new research showing it help, and basically as a preventative. Here's a pretty good synopsis of some of the new studies and thoughts as to how it is "targetable".

https://www.trainerroad.com/...-endurance-athletes/

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're interested in digging further you can look up Dana Lis' work on the topic (she was also on the Fuel the pedal podcast a couple of times). She's definitely a reliable source.
Out of all the supplements I've tried it is one of the few where I can tell the difference. I've had some chronic tendonitis issues and it has helped immensely; if I stop taking it inevitably comes back.
It was also recommended by my surgeon after I broke my knee; I had one of the fastest recovery he had ever seen considering the severity of my injury... probably wasn't the only reason but the collagen supplementation definitely didn't hurt.
With that said, I've convinced a couple teammates to try and they don't feel any difference so keep your expectations low and hopefully it works for you too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I consume around 20gr/day as powder. I believe it works not only because there are many scientific publications saying so, but because since then my nails are much more harder to cut…I need the biggest nail-clippers in the market! So I guess there must another effects inside the body I don’t see.

STRAVA INSTAGRAM
Quote Reply
Re: Collagen - supplement [irondave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
irondave wrote:
I have been taking Youtheory collagen for about 2 years now. Get it at Costco. Can't say I notice any difference, but I know someone that did have bone mass analyzed before and then after taking it for a while and the density had increased.

Is increased bone density an expected outcome from collagen supplementation? I just had a bone density scan as a follow-up to a hip stress fracture. My density was below average, seems it needs improvement.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Collagen - supplement [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is possible. There are real studies demonstrating increased bone mineral density with supplementation.

Most supplements are made up of collagen type 1 and 3. Type one is for bones. There is at least a theoretical plausibility.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5793325/ (first article in the search, just to post something tangible to benefit)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as I understand. The friend of mine that told me about it is pretty detailed and on top of things. I just took her word for it. Don't remember her specific results, but they were definitely positive, and noticeable. I just remember her recommending it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
irondave wrote:

Is increased bone density an expected outcome from collagen supplementation? I just had a bone density scan as a follow-up to a hip stress fracture. My density was below average, seems it needs improvement.

Eric, do you know where you showed below average bone density??
Do you run much?
The reasons being:
1. If you drop weight bearing on an affected area you will quickly lose bone density around the fracture site. So did you have an isolated decrease in bone density or widespread decrease?
2. You often need the "trauma/impact" of weight bearing exercise like running to assist with bone density. Things like cycling itself won't do much for increasing bone density.
This is coming from both an MD and someone who went through a nasty hip stress fracture, and had nearly every investigation under the sun to try and figure out why.
Quote Reply
Re: Collagen - supplement [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
ericlambi wrote:
irondave wrote:

Eric, do you know where you showed below average bone density??
Do you run much?
The reasons being:
1. If you drop weight bearing on an affected area you will quickly lose bone density around the fracture site. So did you have an isolated decrease in bone density or widespread decrease?
2. You often need the "trauma/impact" of weight bearing exercise like running to assist with bone density. Things like cycling itself won't do much for increasing bone density.
This is coming from both an MD and someone who went through a nasty hip stress fracture, and had nearly every investigation under the sun to try and figure out why.

Well, I don’t have a prior test to compare changes but I was -.8 spine, and -.6 each on femoral neck and total hip. It doesn’t seem that bad, but it was recommended to repeat the test in 1-2yrs. Historically I run ~30mpw, but I ran very little this year while preparing for Unbound. I developed the stress fracture around one month after Unbound. I assumed the cause of the fracture was ramping mileage too aggressively.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Collagen - supplement [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hve you ever tried the SwissRX guy health?
Quote Reply