Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Coaching athletes apps etc.
Quote | Reply
What apps are available for coaching athletes through other than TP?

I’m happy to use TP just wondered what else was out there.

Cheers
Quote Reply
Re: Coaching athletes apps etc. [TriByran] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Coach uses Xhale.

https://trainxhale.com/

I've just started working with a coach and have no experience of TP so can't give you a comparison.
Quote Reply
Re: Coaching athletes apps etc. [Ian A] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I had a go at Xhale, but found it had really poor functionality and glitches in the app.
Not worth using IMHO
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
todaysplan
Finalsurge

I use TP as that’s what I first started with and my coach uses it as well. I’ve played around with todaysplan and finalsurge a little and they seem good as well but I’m used to TP and it does what I need. Another plus for TP is that with its workout builder it integrates with Zwift, Garmin connect iq, and wahoo elemnt to pull in workouts
Quote Reply
Re: Coaching athletes apps etc. [Ian A] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I tried Xhale and found it to be a very poor programme to work with. Very glitchy and buggy, not many features and not very powerful either. A bit like an automated spreadsheet to be honest.

One alternative would be sport tracks. Its quite old now and uses the Bannister model rather than the 'TSB' model. The theories are similar but the outputs are not comparable, so if you do end up using sport tracks don't start comparing numbers with training peaks or other programmes. Nothing wrong with sport tracks other than its just plain old these days. I would give it a try for free and see what you think. There is some good info about the different models used in the programmes here. http://fellrnr.com/...ng_Human_Performance

Golden Cheetah is superb for cyclists and free to use. I have not used it for a while and believe that the swim and run functionality of the software is a lot better than it was back in the day.
Great analytics available if that is your thing. You can try it for free so why not give it a go? Uses very similar model to training peaks for analysis so the outputs can basically be compared with each other. Can also be used to plan future training to see how things can develop.

Strava is surprisingly quite good for runners and cyclists. If an athlete will give you access to their online account you can really keep a good track on their progress. A few years ago I used to have access to an athletes Strava account and put all their training into a copy of WKO4 for some additional stats and to plan their future training sessions. Strava was good for review of previous training and performance. What you could not use Strava for was planning future training very well. It is an online community and not set up for that really.

Garmin Connect is another online account that athletes can give a coach access to that will record training. I have very limited knowledge here but am aware of a coach whose athletes use Garmin connect and they seem to get it to work well between them. Its also free I think.

As mentioned I had a copy of WKO4 before I ended up with the inevitable training peaks subscription. If you only have a couple of athletes and can maintain regular contact without the internet it is a great tool. Communication is the potential issue here thought. I am not sure if they have stopped supporting it either? You could have lots of athlete accounts in WKO4 - it was just not as collaborative as training peaks is over the internet.

Good old Excel is a superb tool if you have the skills to set up a few macros and know what you are doing. I have a standard excel sheet I use for my own training that works similar to training peaks but I have just tweaked it a little to get the stuff I want to see and ditch the stuff I don't want. Not much use for collaboration with an athlete 24/7 over the internet but great for you own stuff. I use the spreadsheet mostly to forward plan training, comparing how the PMC predicts I will be in a couple of months time with various training and racing scenarios. Very powerful in my opinion. Of course you can still do that with training peaks but its very clunky in comparison.

The thing about training peaks is the communication aspect and using it over the internet to keep up with your athletes. If you are not a coach and just reviewing your own training any of the above will work. For coaching its hard to get away from training peaks collaborative way of working with lots of athletes all at once. Its just easy to keep it touch with everyone, review training and plan future workouts / events.

If I was not coaching I would probably stick to excel and Strava, but might invest in a Golden Cheetah account.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I posted some time ago about Final Surge. I have been using it as a coach and athlete for about 7 months now and I am very impressed with it. They are making constant improvements to be more user friendly and the ability to communicate through the app. with athletes (or with your coach) is excellent. It's worth looking into this if you're looking for alternatives.
Quote Reply