Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Clinchers
Quote | Reply
I need some new wheels for my Yaqui. Strong for training rides to be ridden in all weather on any road condition. I weigh 160 but have had some problems with durability of last set (part of cheapish complete bike). Money not a problem but want value. Want new. M
Quote Reply
Re: Clinchers [Miguel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Miguel,

What Yaqui do you have and how do you like it? What wheels came with it? Ves is working on my Mariola. As for your question couldn't Ves give you a deal on a new pair of wheels?

Zeke
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If these are wheels for training (and not necessarily racing), I'd say go with Mavic Open Pro laced to Ultegra. At your weight, you should go with 32 spokes (or 36, which is what I use), but don't try to go gossamer with the gage (and stay with brass nipples). 14 gage rear, non-butted, maybe 15 front. Stay with 3-cross all around. These are NOT aero by any means, but are the de facto standard long-term standard in durability.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you ride in the rain or wet roads a lot then upgrade to open pro ceramics. They last longer and brake better when wet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my Ksyriums.. I keep them as race wheels because i have heavier ones for training, but the hubs are silky smooth, and the wheels seem super durable, I was on two roadie group rides on the weekend, and the Ksyriums seemed to be an extremely if not the most popular wheel set. But if you want a true aero wheel, I would probably go with something else.

David
Quote Reply
Re: Clinchers [Zeke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carbo of course! and it is a great bike. I would ask Ves for new wheels but live in London and like to give my LBS money occasionally. Brider thanks for the info, pretty similar to what my LBS suggested. M
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Ritchey OCRs on my Yaqui Carbo. They are great. Not super expensive (around $400 for the set, even with bladed spokes), great hubs (sealed cartridge bearing)and good skewers. Excellent value. They are reasonably light and provide nice ride quality. Super durable becasue of the Off Center Rim (OCR) design. I like theses because they deliver some aerodynamic qualities with their bladed spokes so I can still get a good, fast ride in by myself but they are not as fast as my Zipp 909 race wheels, although 1/4th the cost. For people who don't want to spring for race wheels these are the BEST choice since they do double duty as race wheels in a pinch. Heck, they are better than the race wheels I used at Ironman Hawaii in 1986!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply