Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Chuckie V.....on the road with!
Quote | Reply
Who remembers this video? http://vimeo.com/11810691

I met this dude here in Tucson 18 years ago. He was a great athlete, with not a lot of wins. However, he had(s) a unique personality that allowed him to earn the coin of the very top guys. He just left Tucson to hibernate in Boulder, just as he did in April of 1994.

If he had stayed the course, winning in Kona, he would have been the richest of all!

Anyone old enough to remember?
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V.....on the road with! [paulthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That commercial was awesome on so many levels. Now the question is have I met him and not known it?
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V.....on the road with! [ston_ar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that same commercial was aired during the NBA Championship game.....now that is big time!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Knew Chuckie then and now. Ask him about his 30 minute t1 at the Tucson Tri! :)
Or the Tuesday run's on the Santa Cruz river path.

-

B.Oliver -My Blog...triguywithavx.wordpress.com
Powered by:
-accelerate3.com coaching-
-**TriSports.com Save 20% Message me for one time use code {restrictions apply...see site)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love the guys like Chuckie V...His speech at the awards the year he won IMC was hilarious as was his display of shirtless podium dancing at the after-party..

Wish there were characters like him still hanging out in the pro ranks.....well there is still Rhodesy.

---
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V.....on the road with! [Ultra-tri-guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to read his blog, but now it says that is only accessible to invited readers.
Does he still blog. Anyone an idea how to get invited? I do not have his email adress so I can't ask it directly.
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V.....on the road with! [KleineGeneraal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KleineGeneraal wrote:
I used to read his blog, but now it says that is only accessible to invited readers.
Does he still blog. Anyone an idea how to get invited? I do not have his email adress so I can't ask it directly.
I also used to read his blog and loved it.
Would love to be able to still read it!
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V.....on the road with! [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remeber him well, what a character...I'd like to get in touch with his cousin whom I met at Ironman Florida years ago. His name is Dave and lives in California...reply if you're on ST, Dave. Cheers. Kona Bound...2012
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a writer, (and athlete, and coach to the rising star Angela Naeth).

First came across Chuckie just before he got 'all Zipped out' when he was riding a Slingshot." (I think it was one of the stories on an early 90's IMH video someone lent me).

Really enjoyed keeping abreast of his athletic antics up to and including his admonishment and DQ by Charlie Crawford at IMH in '99(?) (Didn't John Dunbar drink beer in the first or second IMH on Oahu, when his support crew ran out of water and offered him beer instead?) He went from 1st place to 2nd or worse as a result, so Chuckie was hardly getting outside assistance 20 years later!

His Xtri writings, particularly his classic PCT writings, all good stuff, informative, funny, just damn fine writing.
http://www.xtri.com/...temId.511707453.html

As two or three others have already mentioned, his blog, what a great read and resource. I was lucky enough to enjoy reading some of it over the past 18 months, and had tried to post comments a couple of times, including his last (openly available), "I might regret writing this..." article.

I couldn't post a reply although tried to but couldn't work out the 'technical' aspects of doing so (i'm a computer fool, no idea!) and then a few days later couldn't get access anymore as, I assume comments in the negative, to the article Chuckie wrote, made him deceide to do his online equivalent of retreating into the back country, to live off the fat 'o the land, thus denying those not in his inner circle the pleasure of reading anymore, his great, thoughtful, helpful, hilarious musings on all things that came to his mind, including obviously the sport of triathlon, warts and all (the last article).

What a loss, come back Chuckie, ignore those, to paraphrase Teddy Roosevelt, cold and timid souls..., or as Harry Callahan finely put it too, opinions are like arseholes...

Can you help Paul? Talk to the man, thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V.....on the road with! [feedtherat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chuckie is on Twitter @chuckiev

He says that he shut down the blog because someone hacked it and posted nudies on there. Who knows if that is true, Chuckie admittedly has thin skin and took some flak from readers of his blog from his last post and I don't think Angela was all that happy with it either.

Regardless, he is posting on twitter in microblog form. Idiots will continue to bash him and he will probably retreat even further from the internet. It will be our loss, he's a great writer.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chuckie V was definitely one of a kind...that damn mohawk he had was ridiculous, but he pulled it off somehow...
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V.....on the road with! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spoke too soon. @chuckiev is no longer active on Twitter.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He is the only athlete I know of who got a ban from Kona for drinking a beer on the course. That has to be one of the most ridiculous bans ever.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to read his blog no and then and found it interesting and informative. So, what was the gist of the last public blog post/article?

Thanks.

David K.
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V.....on the road with! [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Chuckie is on Twitter @chuckiev

He says that he shut down the blog because someone hacked it and posted nudies on there. Who knows if that is true, Chuckie admittedly has thin skin and took some flak from readers of his blog from his last post and I don't think Angela was all that happy with it either.

Regardless, he is posting on twitter in microblog form. Idiots will continue to bash him and he will probably retreat even further from the internet. It will be our loss, he's a great writer.

I might be one of those idiots. First, he coached a camp my sister was at and she said he was great, encouraging and seemed to be an all-around decent guy. I read his blog, it was a great read. That said, he did, well misremember things at times.

The clearest example of this was a blog entry he had about swim training. He wrote about how he went from being a mediocre / bad swimmer to swimming an 18:XX in a 1500M in a long course pool at a masters meet in Colorado (I think he said he would have been under 18 but he lost his goggles). This swim, as described, did NOT happen. Or at least there is no record of it. It is true that he became a very good swimmer. I also appreciate that he shared his training regimen. But come on, the guy was prone to exaggerate and honestly there was no reason to do so. He was world class as it was.
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V.....on the road with! [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I might be one of those idiots. First, he coached a camp my sister was at and she said he was great, encouraging and seemed to be an all-around decent guy. I read his blog, it was a great read. That said, he did, well misremember things at times.

The clearest example of this was a blog entry he had about swim training. He wrote about how he went from being a mediocre / bad swimmer to swimming an 18:XX in a 1500M in a long course pool at a masters meet in Colorado (I think he said he would have been under 18 but he lost his goggles). This swim, as described, did NOT happen. Or at least there is no record of it. It is true that he became a very good swimmer. I also appreciate that he shared his training regimen. But come on, the guy was prone to exaggerate and honestly there was no reason to do so. He was world class as it was.

i have been a lurker here for a while and feel compeld to write. i used to be a roommate of chuckies in the early 90s, in chico, ca, where he came to train for a few months. we were national cycling team members for a short time and i watched as he made the switch to triathlon because of "extensive drug use' in cycling (in his words AND mine...we saw as much). i was at the swim meet you mention and actually timed many of the events, including the 1500. that meeet was in chico, not in co. i don't recall if it was an "official" masters meet or just one of the many that was held back then. tri was big in that area as far as I could tell, and swim meets and run races were always happening. i didn't time chuckie's lane but I know he won the event and convincingly so, somewhere in the high 17 minte or low 18 minute range. we all laughed at the start because he lost his goggles AND his speedos when he dove in! it was more like a belly flop then a dive!! he trained with collegiate swimmers there and in tucson (chad carvin and others) and then managed to drop us on all our group rides. but he is the first guy to say that he sucked and that there was always someone faster, especially in the pool. but I always believed he could have been a GREAT swimmer, even with the late start. some people are born with it and that dude was.. he just didn't have that killer instinct.maybe cause of what we witnessed in european cycling, im not sure.
Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V.....on the road with! [DAndersonn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting that Dave.

I do not know Chuckie but I find him to be refreshingly honest. If he says he swam 18:xx I would believe it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chuckie V is not just a greater writer among triathletes, he is a great writer among great writers. I used to get lost in time reading his blog. That dude is a legend.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V.....on the road with! [mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So does anyone read his blog now or has he shut it down totally?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This swim, as described, did NOT happen. Or at least there is no record of it.

You seem pretty sure it did not happen but maybe you are missing some details?

I'd be pretty sure about it before I made the definite conclusion you seem to be drawing and casting doubt on someone's character.
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V.....on the road with! [mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mojozenmaster wrote:
Chuckie V is not just a greater writer among triathletes, he is a great writer among great writers. I used to get lost in time reading his blog. That dude is a legend.

Quoted for Truth. If you read this CV, please bring back the blog! It was really, really good stuff.
Last edited by: nickwhite: Apr 19, 12 16:37
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V.....on the road with! [FJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FJB: I didn't cast any doubt on CV's character. In fact the only reference I made to his character was that he was a good guy.

But yeah, I call BS on what he reported in the blog (and not just the swim itself. Also the insinuation that he had sub 17:00 1500 LCM speed). And appearantly he is now 10 seconds faster than he was when the blog appeared a few years ago. Like they say, the older I get, the faster I was!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got to know and race Chuckie many times back in the day, and he was a class act and athlete. One of the strongest riders out there, and he marketed himself like few in his category ever have. I have some great stories, but most X rated, so i will pass for now. I do not know how fast he got as a swimmer, he was usually behind me, but i went to Chico State, and i have no recollection of any kind of meter pool there. I know someone here said they saw him do this swim in chico, so perhaps i missed that pool, or it was built after i left. We had a 6 lane 25 yard pool at the college there, and that was about it..Maybe some locals there have better info on what pools were there in the early 90's..
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V.....on the road with! [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have enjoyed his blogs for a few years now. Any chance chuckie will reconsider . Most original writing on the sport ever.
Quote Reply
Re: Chuckie V.....on the road with! [jcooke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply

Prev Next