Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Chinese Superbike? Toroidial Wheels? (who is this a copy of?)
Quote | Reply
Well it was only a matter of time, but it appears the chinese have done it again! Take everyone elses design copy it, use a generic layup and create something that looks fast. Looks like it accepts TRP brakes and has a proprietary front end. Seems to take design cues from a number of different bikes, can anyone nail down exactly what this thing looks like? According to the "technology" section that actually did wind tunnel testing to design it, complete with time savings claims of 30sec on a 40km TT.

http://www.yishunbike.com/...-tt-frame-p-692.html

Also of note on is this rim, which appears to be rounded a bit (perhaps a lighting trick?) and is supposed to be "wide": http://www.yishunbike.com/...rbon-rims-p-699.html

---------------------
Jordan Oroshiba --- Roadie invading Triathlete space for knowledge access
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Superbike? Toroidial Wheels? (who is this a copy of?) [joroshiba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Superbike? Toroidial Wheels? (who is this a copy of?) [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was my thought as well, but it is noticeably different, the gusset at the toptube/seattube junction is closer to the size of that on the P5. Neither of those bikes use TRP/direct mount brakes either. And then the chainstays aren't "kinked" like on the plasma.

---------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Superbike? Toroidial Wheels? (who is this a copy of?) [joroshiba] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing showing up :(
Same as the Miracle MC086?

If so the "look" is alright. It's priced better than other "superbikes" but without any data it's still more expensive than I'd be happy paying for an unproven frame that may or may not be better than "lower end" frames out there.
Some guys on velobuild have ordered and built them up already I believe, may be worth checking out.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Superbike? Toroidial Wheels? (who is this a copy of?) [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a copy of another frame I saw once I think called "RXS". Found it on Ebay listed in Australia. It was a bright yellow and black color.
Actually, the frame I saw on Ebay probably was just this same CHinese made clone, just painted up.
Do a search on ST for chinese carbon frame, remember there was a thread that talked all about this frame and the DengFu 069.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Superbike? Toroidial Wheels? (who is this a copy of?) [Taugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Found it.
Here is the ST thread. Look on the last pages and you'll see several frames.
The one you're talking about is the HongFu FM086

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...earch_engine#4149042

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Superbike? Toroidial Wheels? (who is this a copy of?) [leegoocrap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That looks like it. I don't really have an issue with this one so much, as I actually had to ask what bike it looks like. I don't think it looks any more like the plasma than the P5 does really.

You do have data! 30 seconds per 40km. The question is whether or not that data is useful or accurate.

---------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A wise man once said, when in doubt, consider the frontal area, try to minimize it, and you will do pretty good.

so, we need front shots!

though I would be VERY afraid to go with any integrated stem/fork/brake setup from a generic chinese make...

joroshiba wrote:
That looks like it. I don't really have an issue with this one so much, as I actually had to ask what bike it looks like. I don't think it looks any more like the plasma than the P5 does really.

You do have data! 30 seconds per 40km. The question is whether or not that data is useful or accurate.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Last edited by: jackmott: Dec 11, 12 18:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Superbike? Toroidial Wheels? (who is this a copy of?) [cabdoctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Superbike? Toroidial Wheels? (who is this a copy of?) [cabdoctor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Superbike? Toroidial Wheels? (who is this a copy of?) [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I gotta agree those do look pretty bad from that photo. As for the integrated cockpit it certainly would a question mark. You could get any combination of heavy/light and works/slips.

---------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It may really be "30 seconds faster." Faster than what? Mountain bike, Penny Farthing?
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Superbike? Toroidial Wheels? (who is this a copy of?) [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That rear wheel/frame gap is HUGE, there goes all your "aero" advantage
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Superbike? Toroidial Wheels? (who is this a copy of?) [spikeymoejr91] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are no tires on the wheels
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Superbike? Toroidial Wheels? (who is this a copy of?) [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rambler wrote:
It may really be "30 seconds faster." Faster than what? Mountain bike, Penny Farthing?

Yeah, I love these non-comparison comparisons that you see out there all the time.

I think they mean you save 30 seconds over a brisk walk pace.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Superbike? Toroidial Wheels? (who is this a copy of?) [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1

I never said that data was of any use I just said it was data.

---------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For as cheap as carbon frames and wheels like this cost here, it makes me laugh when I see people talk about them on ST. IF you could get them for the prices they are available for here, I think almost every one of you would grab one.
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Superbike? Toroidial Wheels? (who is this a copy of?) [IRONwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
where is here?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
China and Taiwan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cabdoctor wrote:

Look...it says "pro" and "aero time trial frame". What more do you need?
Quote Reply
Re: Chinese Superbike? Toroidial Wheels? (who is this a copy of?) [IRONwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, if the thing is cheap enough. That's part of the appeal of Chinese "knock off" bikes... they are cheap(er).

This thing's problem is that (for most of us) it's not that cheap. At over $1k (plus brakes... TRP's only as of now I believe) for an unproven design... well, you can buy A LOT of frame with data behind it for a grand.

Not saying anything bad about this bike... just that it isn't priced (to most of us anyways) right to make it a good choice.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree, for 1000 bucks I wouldnt touch it, But I think you could probably get it for under 400 bucks here. I have the same exact frame as a planet-x stealth but unbranded, I paid the equivalent of 235USD for it.

my friend recently got something that looks an awful lit like a Valdora, he got a one peice aero bar too, I think he paid about 500USD for the frame/fork, seatpost, aerobar.
Last edited by: IRONwolf: Dec 12, 12 9:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IRONwolf wrote:
For as cheap as carbon frames and wheels like this cost here, it makes me laugh when I see people talk about them on ST. IF you could get them for the prices they are available for here, I think almost every one of you would grab one.

More people than you think HAVE grabbed them, and the huge majority are very happy with them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ah well yeah, at sub $400 it'd be hard to beat even if it was an aero hog. I mean... it looks cool if nothing else :P

Quote Reply

Prev Next