Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Chicago area olympic triathlons
Quote | Reply
I am looking for a mid to late summer olympic triathlon that is within a day's drive of Chicago. I am registered to do Pleasant Prairie already and think I would like to do something other than the Chicago Triathlon, if possible. I was going to do the Lake Geneva Triathlon last year but it got cancelled so I ended up doing the North Shore sprint triathlon. I don't feel comfortable putting my eggs in that basket this time around if it is offered this year.
Last edited by: MBaier: Dec 4, 18 15:18
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago area olympic triathlons [MBaier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bummer Geneva got canceled. Any reason given? That was a great race.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago area olympic triathlons [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They said low registration numbers. It used to be an escape series triathlon so I am not sure if it was related to that series getting cancelled or not?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was it an Escape Series tri? Are you sure you're not thinking of Lake Geneva in September?
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago area olympic triathlons [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same race, this year it wasn't an escape race but it was, I believe, the same weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holiday Man Triathlon . Saumonauk IL not bad little race , July 30th I think. Life Time MN is good and The door county race is supposed to be well run too. All in late July/ August I believe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Lake Zurich Triathlon on Sunday July 14.

https://www.lakezurichtri.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Give Leon's triathlon a try. It was the 'North Central Regional Championship' in 2018 but I'm not sure of its status for 2019. I think they get TV coverage in Chicago as well. https://leonstriathlon.com/

Within a day's drive? How about Tri Indy? Olympic distance with a couple hundred competitors. The swim is a great venue in the downtown canal. Spectators can walk with their athlete the whole swim. Race takes place in the city center and is a great experience. Race website has not been updated yet, but I am 100% sure it will happen again in 2019. http://www.tuxbro.com/...NDY/TriIndy-Home.php

Finally, Why not Nationals? Cleveland is a day's drive easily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MBaier wrote:
They said low registration numbers. It used to be an escape series triathlon so I am not sure if it was related to that series getting cancelled or not?

The same event management company that was organizing the 2018 race also organized the Escape Lake Geneva and the last couple years of TriRock Lake Geneva. A friend that works for Fontana said the management company had a bunch of unpaid bills from the year before and they wouldn't issue them a permit. I have no way of verifying if that's true, but him and I were both signed up for the race! 2 of my 3 races in IL/WI were canceled this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out Race Day Events in Madison area, as they do 7 or 8 tris throughout the summer around Wisconsin. They are all low key, no frills races but are pretty inexpensive and usually have good competition. Decent food after, and some pretty fun venues.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago area olympic triathlons [brward15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2, LZ is a classic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lake Zurich is a good one. There's also one in Wauconda in July that you could try. I haven't done it but have friends that enjoyed it.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago area olympic triathlons [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 http://www.lakegenevanews.net/...d4-dc8620867ff8.html[/url]

Here is an article on the Williams Bay race in September. I was signed up this fall too. I was bummed because those are the roads I ride in the summer.

The Lake Geneva RAM Racing event in June is nice, hilly bike and trail run. The swim is nice because it hugs the shore. If you’re a weak swimmer you are never far from shallow water.
Last edited by: Scottyren: Dec 3, 18 18:10
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago area olympic triathlons [Scottyren] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for that source.

We must not be too far apart from each other. I'm on the NE edge of Rockford and get up there occasionally.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago area olympic triathlons [BuildingSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BuildingSpeed wrote:
Give Leon's triathlon a try. It was the 'North Central Regional Championship' in 2018 but I'm not sure of its status for 2019. I think they get TV coverage in Chicago as well. https://leonstriathlon.com/

Within a day's drive? How about Tri Indy? Olympic distance with a couple hundred competitors. The swim is a great venue in the downtown canal. Spectators can walk with their athlete the whole swim. Race takes place in the city center and is a great experience. Race website has not been updated yet, but I am 100% sure it will happen again in 2019. http://www.tuxbro.com/...NDY/TriIndy-Home.php

Finally, Why not Nationals? Cleveland is a day's drive easily.

Tri Indy is pretty cool, I'd second that suggestion. Muncie has several oly. distance races over the summer but that's a bit of a haul from Chicago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of these races are a bit earlier than I was thinking (though I am considering doing Lake Zurich). Are there any good options middle of August to end of September that aren't the Chicago Triathlon?

Thanks you for all of the responses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toronto is a one days drive from Chicago. Several great races in the area. Check out Multisport Canada or Trisport Canada. You’ll do well on the $$ exchange.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LZ is one of the later ones these days. BoilerMan down in Lafayette is Sep 20ish and decent.

Here's an old file I had from someone who tried to lump them all for the same reason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wisconsin Triterium (Vernona, WI): https://www.wisconsintriterium.com/

Lots of nice, low key races on the other side of the Cheddar Curtain; https://www.trifind.com/...ear=2019&month=0

http://www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out of curiosity, why do you want to do something other than the Chicago Triathlon? I've done it the past two years and really enjoyed it.

The Door County tri gets rave reviews up in this area (I live in Madison).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Michigan Titanium is in grand rapids and on Aug 18. There's a mix of everything: oly, HIM, IM, duathlon and aquathon.

http://www.mititanium.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are a few downstate.
-Abe's Olympic, Springfield (Last week of July?)
-Triathlou, Litchfield (Weekend after Labor Day?)
-Illinois Championship* Triathlons, Mahomet (near Champaign) (Sep 22)

*No organization, other than the RD, sanctions this as a true State Championship, it's more like the "Greater West Champaign County Area Championship." But it's a nice little venue for a race.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago area olympic triathlons [tanzbodeli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to do an event that is a bit smaller. I am also trying to crowdsource races and opinions on them since trifind and other triathlon listing sites are not complete.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago area olympic triathlons [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:

*No organization, other than the RD, sanctions this as a true State Championship, it's more like the "Greater West Champaign County Area Championship." But it's a nice little venue for a race.

Strangely enough, I have the rights to "Illinois Triathlon Championship." I don't know if anybody had filed for it prior to 2018. We tried to start a race last year in Rockford after obtaining that name and ran into some problems that resulted in us postponing it until this year. We had a "Rockford Triathlon" for years that paid good money and was even on the collegiate circuit for a bit. The Illinois DNR became impossible to work with and that ended that since there wasn't another body of water in the area we could swim in until recently.

Abe's Olympic is run by a really great group. I have heard fantastic things about Litchfield and would have done it by now if it weren't for IMWI and/or cyclocross season starting that same weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago area olympic triathlons [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
gary p wrote:

Strangely enough, I have the rights to "Illinois Triathlon Championship." I don't know if anybody had filed for it prior to 2018. We tried to start a race last year in Rockford after obtaining that name and ran into some problems that resulted in us postponing it until this year. We had a "Rockford Triathlon" for years that paid good money and was even on the collegiate circuit for a bit. The Illinois DNR became impossible to work with and that ended that since there wasn't another body of water in the area we could swim in until recently.

Abe's Olympic is run by a really great group. I have heard fantastic things about Litchfield and would have done it by now if it weren't for IMWI and/or cyclocross season starting that same weekend.

You think you will have better luck this year setting it up? Any plans on a date or other logistics?
Quote Reply

Prev Next