Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Chicago Triathlon - Accenture - Opinions on race
Quote | Reply
I'm considering entering the Accenture Chricago Triathlon this August 26th and was wondering if anyone out there has competed in this race. Although it seems huge I've heard it's well run. Also, my 10-yr old daughter wants to race and I've heard they have a kids triathlon that is pretty good.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Triathlon - Accenture - Opinions on race [1windsor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have completed it and it is not well run. Save your money.

The race is overwhelmed with entrants and a million relay teams, it is poorly organized, has 10,000 different start waves, not enough toilets, not enough food, very expensive entry fee, terrible customer service by capri events, pitiful prizes even for top-placing amateurs, numerous people blatantly cutting the course short on swim and run without correction to their times or places or prizes, what else can I say?

I can't say anthing about the kids race, that one might be fine.

Where would you want to swim ?
Last edited by: Greg/ORD: Feb 28, 05 14:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have volunteered at the kids race and it was safe and well run. I would recommend it.

The asshole factor at Accenture is huge. It's well run, yes. But there are way too many people out there who have no idea what there doing. It 's crowded, expensive and can be dangerous. There are other races in the area around that time I recommend before Accenture. But if you sign up I'd tell you to expect an event more than a real race.

Ed

'It makes no sense for me to apologize for being an asshole. For acting like an asshole, yes, I'd fall on my sword for that. But how can one apologize for one's state of being?' - Slowman
Last edited by: Nice Guy Eddy: Feb 28, 05 11:33
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Triathlon - Accenture - Opinions on race [Nice Guy Eddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The asshole factor at Accenture is huge
maybe that was it...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done Chicago 7 times in the past 20 year starting with when it was a Bud Light USTS race and including the year they had two Chicago triathlons.

It is a unique event, only your judgement will determine whether it is good.

I would suggest not to expect a normal triathlon experience. The sheer number of competitors have changed it from a standard triathlon experience to kind of a urban triathlon rave party. You're in this huge moving sea of triathletes (only no hots chicks strung out on E) that is just circulating around Chicago.

Don't be concerned with your time, and don;t be one of the people run over by lifeboats or hit by cars on the bike course. Happens every year.

That said, big fun. Of just like fun, but more crowded.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Triathlon - Accenture - Opinions on race [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, you are probably right.

They should just rename the race to the "Chicago tri party: no course rules or courtesy need apply."

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The spint race isn't nearly as crowded as the Oly.

The kid's race seems well done - it's the day before the adult's race.

I've competed in the race a number of times and had a ball. You will see tri gear from the early days (probably hauled out of the garage once a year for the past twenty years). Pay attention, be defensive and the day will go well. Personally, I think every triathlete should experience the Chicago Triathlon. Just go to have fun and enjoy the party!

Ted
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Worth doing once, but way too many people. I waited in line to put my bike in transition for 45 minutes, then waited after the race for 30 to get it out. If you do go, definitely stay at the Hilton. It is something to behold all those triathletes though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldnt do the olympic> too crowded, wait too long to start, overcrowded bike course is dangerous, etc..

I have been doing the sprint the last couple of years, its not as crowded and you start the first thing in the morning, fast course, ive enjoyed doing this the last couple of years. They have the best expo ive been to for triathlons, lots of stuff and vendors.

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Triathlon - Accenture - Opinions on race [Ed in IL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've raced this a couple times, back to when it was Mrs. T's, and since accenture took over. I always had a good time, but I always came in expecting a big crowd. If you are extremely concerned about everyone being an actual triathlete and knowing all the etiquette, you should stay away. However, if you are ok with working around a lot of newbies, you can have a great time. Lot's of good stuff at the expo, and Chicago is a great city. It's one of the prettiest courses I've raced.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Triathlon - Accenture - Opinions on race [Ed in IL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In regards to the crowding, it just depends on where you start. I was in the second Oly wave to start last year and it was a breeze due to absolutely nobody on the course in front of me (for a while, then the fast folks caught up - it didn't take too long really). But still, the fast folks know whats going on so I never had rules/etiquette issues.

I will say it was sort of wierd to be starting my race when others were already done, and to be finished when others hadn't even started. Add everyone is not kidding when they talk about the crowd, it is CRAZY busy. I had issues with the logistics outside the race, but once I got started racing it was a great day for me - well marked course, helpful volunteers, lots of cheering and support, and a fast course with few hills. Checking into the hotel and getting to/from the expo, actually getting my goody-bag...not so good.

Anyway, thats my opinion - I thought the race went well, but it may have just been my early wave.

Josh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last years was my last time for this race. The first time was cool riding on Lake Shore Drive but if you're in a later wave it becomes an hazard of water bottles pot wholes and first timers who borrowed Aunt Sally's hybred to do the race.

Other suggestions in the same neck of the woods

Lake Zurich - at the beginning of the month on a better course and less people. I did this one last year for the first time and had a lot of fun. The course is a tad short on the bike leg though.

Indianapolis - is at about the same time if not the same weekend. I didn't do it last year but I heard a good number of folks from Chicago went down there instead of racing here and really had nice things to say about the race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like everyone else said...the crowds are huge. That's fun. The thing I don't like is that you need to get everything in transition by 6:00 but you then have to sit around for an 1-2 hours or more depending on what wave you go out in. I was in the women's 20-24 and I didn't go off until 8:00 am. Luckily my boyfriend was there to watch the gear I wanted with me. Other people sit around in their wetsuits that whole time. That's just my pet peeve though. Another complaint I've heard a lot is that some people don't like that it's almost a 1/4 mile run from the swim exit to transition.

Oh, it's Chicago in August. It could be BLAZING out. The last few years have been mild so we're due. ;)The last year I did it, it rained 2 days straight before the race. All the other beaches on the Lake were closed b/c the water was so skanky. We still had to jump in. Building immunity, right? ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Triathlon - Accenture - Opinions on race [ECE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Last years was my last time for this race. The first time was cool riding on Lake Shore Drive but if you're in a later wave it becomes an hazard of water bottles pot wholes and first timers who borrowed Aunt Sally's hybred to do the race.

Other suggestions in the same neck of the woods

Lake Zurich - at the beginning of the month on a better course and less people. I did this one last year for the first time and had a lot of fun. The course is a tad short on the bike leg though.

Indianapolis - is at about the same time if not the same weekend. I didn't do it last year but I heard a good number of folks from Chicago went down there instead of racing here and really had nice things to say about the race.
Lake Zurich is a good race! Its nice going to a race thats only 10 mins from your house. The only problem at Lake Zurich is that the course marhsals led some of the lead runners off course in which they ran a shorter course than the rest and the results where messed up.

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Triathlon - Accenture - Opinions on race [Tri1016] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Other people sit around in their wetsuits that whole time
maybe due to lack of usable toilets??

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try Officiating it. It is a nightmare. One of the best violations I have ever seen and could

not get in to make the call (too many bikers) he was talking on his cell phone.

Agree with all................way too many on the course. The worst part is the u-turn over

the grass hill. At first its ok, then when you have a couple hundred off their bikes waiting

to push over to the other side..........well it just backs up forever.

Go to Indy........and have a better race
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Triathlon - Accenture - Opinions on race [Tri1016] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you wait till the last minute to get your stuff into the transition area you'll wait in a huge line. I have always gotten there right when it opens 4:45 waited in line for a short time then found a good spot near a light pole or a tree that makes it easier to find your bike.

I was in 35 - 39 Men last year so my wave number was 42 or something like that and I didn't start till nearly 9:45. 5 hours of sitting around with nothing to do. Plus last year it was cold the air temp was 55 degrees the water was warmer.

I swim in Lake Michigan at Ohio st. beach about twice a week when its warm enough to do it. I've never gotten sick from the water and I'm sure I've drank enough of it to have a good case of whatever on some of the choppier swim days.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Triathlon - Accenture - Opinions on race [BamaIM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They did away with the grass median two years ago, it still backs up there but its more because people don't know how to ride and the fact they're trying to navigate a U turn, not hit someone or cut someone off and also trying to find someone to grab a bottle of gatorade or water from.

With 8000+ participants its a tragedy, then a lawsuit waiting to happen.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Triathlon - Accenture - Opinions on race [Josh_CO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What Hills? that is as flat as they come
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sign up for the race! - everyone should do Chicago once to experience the race. Some people love it - others hate it - but just like doing a large marathon (New York, Boston) you have to do it once to see if you like this type of race. You will hear the same type of comments about St. Anthony's and other large races.

Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chicago is one of my favorite races. Yes it is crowded but I didn't think it was unmanageable, the bike course is the worst for crowding but riding up and down Lakeshore drive has a coolness factor that outweighs the crowding.

What I have done that works well for me is to pick a hotel that is close to transition area and the start (there are a bunch up near the Hilton and also down in the Grant Park are). Wake up super early and get to the transition area 15 minutes before it opens, wait in line until it opens rack your bike and head back to the hotel. Then you can nap until your wave starts. I usually get another 2-3 hours of sleep (usually restless sleep) and then wander down to the start about a half hour before my wave starts.

My opinion is to try it. Worst case scenario is you hate it and then you don't do it again next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced it last year and over all it was a good experience, but waaaaay to freaking cold for me, mid august and 60 freaking degrees out, WTF?????? Lots of people out there, the bike course was pot hole central what a rough road and I spent the whole race circumnavigating riders who seemed to camp out in the passing lanes, oh well, definately try ity out.

I have horrible back problems but I have zero problems staying in an aero position for 180k. Why? Because I ride steep and because I train regularly in that position. Simple as that.....Gerard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For a less crowded race, check-out our new TriAmerica Triathlon Series Chicago-Zion race. It takes place one week before Accenture Chicago on August 20-21. The race venue is Illinois Beach State Park in Zion, IL. It is located about 40 minutes north of Chicago. The weekend includes a kids triathlon, sprint triathlon, and the featured international distance triathlon.

You'll find all the info at TriAmerica.com

Fred Sommer
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Triathlon - Accenture - Opinions on race [SommerSports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love it, and try to do it every year.

The bike and run course is very slightly more hilly than the swim course :)

The trick is to do the sprint and not the OLY. I am in the 30-34 Mens group and am usually in the 3-5th heat, which puts me in the water around 6:45 AM. Which means I am done before 8:00. Becasue there aren't than many on the course you can really hammer on the bike. It is flat and and straigh with the one u turn at the turn around other than that you don't need brakes except when rolling into trans 2.

----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply

Prev Next