Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chicago Marathon '23
Quote | Reply
Decided to keep my bib for the marathon and now doing last minute planning. Any recommendations for veterans as to where to stay? Or anyone running/not running that has housing options? Flying in Friday night and leaving Sunday night. How is getting to the start line? Is uber/lfyt an option as I won't have a car? Any help would be great. If you don't want to post please message me. Appreciate it.
Quote Reply
Re: Chicago Marathon '23 [mmtri10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm very unfamiliar with the logistics of this marathon. But if I were going on a vacation to Chicago and need to get to the start line area early AM on race morning I'd stay somewhere north of the river and catch the L down. Depending on how much travelling you're willing to do race morning I'd even suggest as far north as Lincoln Park area. Brown line would get you closer but it would require you go all the way around the loop(maybe 5-10 minutes extra). red line is fine too but a couple extra blocks walk.

Again, not familiar with the logistics of this race, but having lived in the city a couple years that's what I'd do. Uber and Lyft may be an option as well. Also not sure with how much you want to make this a mini vacation as well maybe staying in the loop and checking out the sights would be an option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't really help too much on where to stay but uber/lyft will not be an issue in the morning. I drive up from Evanston every race and park in a garage just west of Michigan Ave and walk. Plenty of people take train or uber/lyft so only issue with those might be making sure you have enough time in the AM for a car to pick you up since there will probably be a decent wait time. But if you are comfortable taking the train that might be the easiest if you stay near one of the stops. I would say pick the closest place you can to the start line then figure out logistics from there.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have recommendations on where to stay as I've always driven in (from suburbs) or took the L in (when I lived in the city). I'd recommend finding a place off of the CTA red or blue line if you want to take public transportation. Where are you flying into? If you are going into ohare, blue line runs there. You can technically stay near ohare and take it in but its a long ride. Uber/lyft should be fine. I live maybe 20 miles from city and drive in fine. I always recommend getting their early. Roads are fairly open in early hours but then start closing as race gets closer. I had friends last year who couldn't get into their reserved parking spot because they got there later. Another reason to get their early is the porta potties. Very quick and easy early on but hour or so before race lines are crazy long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mmtri10 wrote:
Decided to keep my bib for the marathon and now doing last minute planning. Any recommendations for veterans as to where to stay? Or anyone running/not running that has housing options? Flying in Friday night and leaving Sunday night. How is getting to the start line? Is uber/lfyt an option as I won't have a car? Any help would be great. If you don't want to post please message me. Appreciate it.

Did Chicago last year. Its a looped course, so you finish in the same place as start which makes for easy logistics.

Random Points

Took the Blue train from O' Hare to Lake. (bought a Ventra card at the terminal) Was late when I landed on the Thursday evening. Didn't see any trouble on the train. Chicago obviously has a rep. Also took that train back to the Airport Monday lunchtime
Stayed in the Loop area (Virgin Hotel, North Wabash Ave.)
Took the Metra train from Millennium to/from the Expo (The pickup itself was easy, and efficient. But the actual expo is a bit poor compared to most of the Majors expos!)
Walked to the start along with hundreds of others.
Doesn't seem to be an abundance of porta potties. I was in line for a LONG time. And as we approached my wave start people were cutting in line!
Walked back to my hotel after the event

Whilst I appreciate you're not staying for the city itself. Unlike NYC, Chi does seem to be deserted after around 8pm. Not many people on the street. I went to the Sears tower for the Skydeck experience. And coming back was strange with so few people about. North of the river had a bit more people about. Not sure I can recommend the Hard Rock Cafe there though!
Quote Reply