Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Challenge thoughts and Atlantic City roll call [ElGordo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ElGordo wrote:
The final course handbook was distributed by email, and the first four miles of the run course look like we're running back and forth on a runway at Bader Field. I feel like an idiot for not noticing this before: is this a recent change?

Also, Weather Underground is a bit more optimistic about race-day weather.

You're not crazy. That's a recent change to the course. Previous versions had a lap of Bader Field at the start, but you would exit before mile 2 and reach the southern turnaround at mile 8. Now it looks like there are several out and backs on the runway and runners exit Bader Field near mile 4, putting the southern turnaround at mile 10. The course no longer appears to turn off the boardwalk to McClinton Park at the northern end. The website shows one course, the recent newsletter shows another.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge thoughts and Atlantic City roll call [TJL3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJL3 wrote:
ElGordo wrote:
The final course handbook was distributed by email, and the first four miles of the run course look like we're running back and forth on a runway at Bader Field. I feel like an idiot for not noticing this before: is this a recent change?

Also, Weather Underground is a bit more optimistic about race-day weather.

You're not crazy. That's a recent change to the course. Previous versions had a lap of Bader Field at the start, but you would exit before mile 2 and reach the southern turnaround at mile 8. Now it looks like there are several out and backs on the runway and runners exit Bader Field near mile 4, putting the southern turnaround at mile 10. The course no longer appears to turn off the boardwalk to McClinton Park at the northern end. The website shows one course, the recent newsletter shows another.

Weird. I can only assume this "new" run course with the back-n-forths on the airstrip is the real thing. And having special needs at mile 18 seems entirely pointless. By 18 I am thinking finish line and am not going to stop to get a bag.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge thoughts and Atlantic City roll call [noofus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm very interested to see how this race goes this weekend because it's on my 2015 list. Anyone know when 2015 registration might open?

Giddy up, there's no reason to look behind you, you're not heading that way.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge thoughts and Atlantic City roll call [AustinDuDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure I saw registration for 2015 opens at noon, the Mon after the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge thoughts and Atlantic City roll call [AustinDuDude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AustinDuDude wrote:
I'm very interested to see how this race goes this weekend because it's on my 2015 list. Anyone know when 2015 registration might open?

I'll try to write up a race report on Monday. I really hope this works out as a success as having a full iron distance race only a short drive away is huge for me (I live just west of Philly).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
AustinDuDude wrote:

I'll try to write up a race report on Monday. I really hope this works out as a success as having a full iron distance race only a short drive away is huge for me (I live just west of Philly).

Thank you, look forward to the report. Have a great race!!

Giddy up, there's no reason to look behind you, you're not heading that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why...worried about a sell out?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge thoughts and Atlantic City roll call [Shankster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was not familiar with the brand until recently as I am considering doing the Challenge 70.3 in New Albany. I was a little sticker shocked at the price tag for it!

But I will probably give it try

"Keep those feet moving!" Me
Last edited by: runnerwv: Jun 24, 14 6:35
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge thoughts and Atlantic City roll call [runnerwv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runnerwv wrote:
I was not familiar with the brand until recently as I am considering doing the Challenge 70.3 in New Albany. I was a little sticker shocked at the price tag for it!

Not sure what the price for the half was, but the AC race was easily $250 cheaper than an M-dot race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Challenge is charging same price Ironman 70.3 $250

"Keep those feet moving!" Me
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
runnerwv wrote:

Not sure what the price for the half was, but the AC race was easily $250 cheaper than an M-dot race

I hear and read this a lot. But it is not true. CAC was $575. Quite a few IM cases, including Maryland, Cour d'Alene and Louisville are only $625. You save 50 bucks over a WTC. You cannot compare CAC to the most popular WTC events that cost more because CAC is not in the league with those races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Relay via some ST peeps that had their team disintegrate - Bike portion
First relay race ever, 2nd time being involved in a 140.6 distance race (did IMFL in Nov '13)
Philadelphia, PA
Wind dependent, but < 4:30 bike split?
WATTS ON WATTS

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge thoughts and Atlantic City roll call [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sinkinswimmer wrote:
noofus wrote:
runnerwv wrote:

I hear and read this a lot. But it is not true. CAC was $575. Quite a few IM cases, including Maryland, Cour d'Alene and Louisville are only $625. You save 50 bucks over a WTC. You cannot compare CAC to the most popular WTC events that cost more because CAC is not in the league with those races.

I guess it was just my perception. I remember it being $500, so if it was $575 OK. I signed up the first day it was open, I dont know if that made a difference. I was basing it off the $750 that I think I paid for IMLT last year. Again maybe I am misremembering how much I paid for IMLT.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
noofus wrote:
sinkinswimmer wrote:
noofus wrote:
runnerwv wrote:

I guess it was just my perception. I remember it being $500, so if it was $575 OK. I signed up the first day it was open, I dont know if that made a difference. I was basing it off the $750 that I think I paid for IMLT last year. Again maybe I am misremembering how much I paid for IMLT.

And I was thinking the very nearby Ironman NY/NJ that went for a grand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This run course looks like the first serious foul-up for the race. What could be better than getting off the bike and running four miles up & back on airfield runways? In my opinion, anything up to and including a swift kick in the crotch, that's what. Mehh, in for a dime.....

The joys of a first-year race in a new community, no doubt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ElGordo wrote:
This run course looks like the first serious foul-up for the race. What could be better than getting off the bike and running four miles up & back on airfield runways? In my opinion, anything up to and including a swift kick in the crotch, that's what. Mehh, in for a dime.....

The joys of a first-year race in a new community, no doubt.

To be fair - that part of the course that would have gone out the park turnaround at the former 17th mile went through some sketchy neighborhood. As weird as the multiple back-n-forths at the airfield will seem, I bet its full of spectators, and precludes the need to run into a crap neighborhood later in the race.

That said - really? Back and forth in an air field?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They call it the Parade Lap. I am not a big fan of it, but at least it is early in the race. While it won't be fun, we will get through it, then the rest is on the boardwalk.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge thoughts and Atlantic City roll call [integrator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
integrator wrote:
They call it the Parade Lap. I am not a big fan of it, but at least it is early in the race. While it won't be fun, we will get through it, then the rest is on the boardwalk.

Its the first 3 miles of the run - and my previous experience with IM is that first 3 is awful if there isnt much crowd support. This might be a boost. Who knows.

I wonder what its going to be like running most of the next 23 miles on wooden planks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the Boardwalk will be better than concrete or blacktop. It should have a little "give" so that should help and be easier on the the body.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge thoughts and Atlantic City roll call [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a serious bike split!

I've got some friends doing the relay too. Biker should be <4:45, but they've got a 2:18 marathoner...

Should be a fun weekend.

Internet User
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge thoughts and Atlantic City roll call [Dark Mark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the record... I am so fired up for this Sunday. This is the longest week at work. I am so not productive. I just want this race to happen. I'm ready!
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge thoughts and Atlantic City roll call [gienopes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gienopes wrote:
noofus wrote:
sinkinswimmer wrote:
noofus wrote:
runnerwv wrote:

Pretty sure the only IMNYC that was ever run cost the entrants who registered about $850. But that was one race three years ago. The often repeated dialogue is that Challenge is "cheaper" than WTC. There may be lots of reasons to do a Challenge race over a WTC race. But I just think in all fairness when one makes a factual comment suggesting the superiority of one brand over the other, it should be correct. I also think that if you consider that IMLT sold out last year, and less than 700 individuals will do CAC, CAC is either overpriced or IMLT was under priced. That is kind of how supply and demand works.

Regardless, good luck Sunday. I hope your execution, and that of the RD, is flawless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do the y have a cool logo for a tattoo?

Re: Challenge thoughts and Atlantic City roll call [sinkinswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sinkinswimmer wrote:
gienopes wrote:
noofus wrote:
sinkinswimmer wrote:
noofus wrote:
runnerwv wrote:

Pretty sure the only IMNYC that was ever run cost the entrants who registered about $850. But that was one race three years ago. The often repeated dialogue is that Challenge is "cheaper" than WTC. There may be lots of reasons to do a Challenge race over a WTC race. But I just think in all fairness when one makes a factual comment suggesting the superiority of one brand over the other, it should be correct. I also think that if you consider that IMLT sold out last year, and less than 700 individuals will do CAC, CAC is either overpriced or IMLT was under priced. That is kind of how supply and demand works.

Regardless, good luck Sunday. I hope your execution, and that of the RD, is flawless.

Curious about your motives here. You have been nothing but negative in this thread regarding Challenge, why even bother participating in this thread, do you not want to see growth in Triathlon? Do you in anyway have any vested interest in WTC or Ironman? When you have chimed in you have been wrong or "skewed" things in a way to favor Ironman. For instance, for the record the entry fee for IMNYC was $895 but that doesn't cover the active fee which would have brought it close to $1000. Ironically you say "when one makes a factual comment suggesting the superiority of one brand over the other, it should be correct". Hmm, may this is just how you are on ST, I dunno, but it almost reads like you are the primary investor in the VC firm that owns WTC. And btw, I'm a big fan of Ironman and I receive the occasional paycheck from them, but I just can't see why you think competition would be bad for a consumer. Challenge will keep Ironman on its toes and that is a good thing for all Ironman participants and Ironman races. I just have a really tough time understanding your hate towards Challenge and the constant need to bash this event at every turn.

As for me, I for one am looking forward to the event. I have done many many IM races but this is my first Challenge event. So far the Challenge organization has been nothing but a pleasure to work with and I'm really looking forward to the event. And don't get me wrong, I will reiterate that I am a huge fan of Ironman as well and I have received far more from them than Challenge thus far.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge thoughts and Atlantic City roll call [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can we call out El Gordo for his negative comments as well? You guys are seriously depressing. Go get a workout in or something and blow off some steam.
Quote Reply

Prev Next