Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Challenge Roth 2024 PRO field - first names
Quote | Reply
The emergence of the T100 tour and the Ironman Pro series was supposed to pretty much murder Roth field quality, but it appears everyone is safe and sound in Bavaria.

Felix is promising to add more names until the race; so far the notables include:

men
♂ Lange
♂ Ditlev
♂ von Berg
♂ Baekkegaard
♂ Heemeryck
♂ Mignon
♂ Chevalier

women
♀ Philipp
♀ Norden
♀ Siddall
♀ Thoes

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Last edited by: kajet: Mar 21, 24 5:13
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth 2024 PRO field - first names [kajet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Smaller women's field but strong looking men's field. The 6 PTO athletes all raced in Miami. They'll probably try to bank the 1st 3 races, do Roth, & then skip London. If you skip London on the PTO tour you'd have a gap from early June to late September.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’ll be interesting to see how Ditlev approaches the race this year. He admitted last year that going for the record affected him for the rest of the year.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth 2024 PRO field - first names [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
It’ll be interesting to see how Ditlev approaches the race this year. He admitted last year that going for the record affected him for the rest of the year.

Is Ditlev also targeting Kona? In my mind if you had room for an extra full distance, you'd probably want to target Kona. Then again, Kona probably requires a full month of acclimation, etc. while Roth is a weekend trip from Copenhagen.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:
The emergence of the T100 tour and the Ironman Pro series was supposed to pretty much murder Roth field quality, but it appears everyone is safe and sound in Bavaria.

Felix is promising to add more names until the race; so far the notables include:

men
♂ Lange
♂ Ditlev
♂ von Berg
♂ Baekkegaard
♂ Heemeryck
♂ Mignon
♂ Chevalier

women
♀ Philipp
♀ Norden
♀ Siddall
♀ Thoes

Definitely a strong field, ladies a bit less competitive compared to last year

Think some of the men qualified for Kona late last year or validated their spot so they have “room” for Roth. Might not be the same next year as the year end calendar looks packed
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth 2024 PRO field - first names [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes he is. I think this is more a case of Magnus pocketing a huge appearance fee to be at Roth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kajet wrote:

men
♂ Lange
♂ Ditlev
♂ von Berg
♂ Baekkegaard
♂ Heemeryck
♂ Mignon
♂ Chevalier

women
♀ Philipp
♀ Norden
♀ Siddall
♀ Thoes

That is a list of athletes' last names, not their first names!

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth 2024 PRO field - first names [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was quite amazed to see Mignon racing Roth : he is a T 100 qualified athlete. Again, there is no use making so much PR for the race and in the media if your own athletes show that they are not really committed : Mignon said that his goal for the year is Kona. He has yet to qualify and now he will race 3 full IM one in July, one in August (Frankfurt according to his IG). Maybe T100 people should have a talk with him (or they don't even need to). Not a great sign from someone who just DNF. I feel for the guy as he is a budding professional who seem to just lack some basic PR skills.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth 2024 PRO field - first names [jcgiraSHT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think his PR skills are right on par. Roth still carries a lot more gravitas/profile with casual observers (and probably mainstream sports media like l'Equipe in France) than T100.

Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth 2024 PRO field - first names [jcgiraSHT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jcgiraSHT wrote:
I was quite amazed to see Mignon racing Roth : he is a T 100 qualified athlete. Again, there is no use making so much PR for the race and in the media if your own athletes show that they are not really committed : Mignon said that his goal for the year is Kona. He has yet to qualify and now he will race 3 full IM one in July, one in August (Frankfurt according to his IG). Maybe T100 people should have a talk with him (or they don't even need to). Not a great sign from someone who just DNF. I feel for the guy as he is a budding professional who seem to just lack some basic PR skills.

or his coach, or his agent? i mean, triathlon is a poor sport and i definitely get the desire to cash in while they can. but i worry that a lot of athletes are going to get cooked this year and hurt themselves, drop out of races, race badly, or even damage their longer-term health or fitness. if he's totally up to it, that's great, but someone offering him impartial advice might say that his schedule looks too aggressive.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth 2024 PRO field - first names [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think only very few people in France know about triathlon, Roth, or Mignon. Roth does not get an article on lequipe. I'm French and i think 75 % of the people in my club do not know (or care) who he is. Sad but true. Honestly i love long distance and have great respect for the athletes but the broacast has yet to make a TDF viewing experience that an average audience may watch.

I feel for Mignon as he said on podcasts that last year, he and Marjolaine Pierré had to buy part for their bikes out of their own pockets.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth 2024 PRO field - first names [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
kajet wrote:
Felix is promising to add more names until the race;

That is a list of athletes' last names, not their first names!

OMG, next time you make a joke, please keep in mind I'm half idiot half moron. I spent in the afternoon wondering WTF, only to realize right now you were referring to this part...

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Transferred this post - thanks to @kajet for pointing out they'd already started a Roth thread (maybe you want to amend title to give it thread longevity), and this post will bump it from Page 4 oblivion.

Challenge Roth have revealed the stars who've been paid to race the Bavarian classic.
I am surprised how strong the men's list is as I assumed that IM-capable athletes not involved in the T100 tour would focus on the IM Series which already requires 2 full distance events (late April to IMLP: 3 months (4 for men with Frankfurt)) so effectively prohibits including Roth in a race calendar (assumes then race IMWC). And T100 athletes would qualify/validate for Kona and then race Kona as their two 'longs'.
"DATEV Challenge Roth of June 25, 2023 is particularly memorable. Magnus Ditlev defended his title in a new world best time of 7:24:40, Daniela Ryf beat the twelve year old world best time of Chrissie Wellington by almost ten minutes. The triathlon in Roth will take place on 7 July 2024"
"Germany’s Laura Philipp, Svenja Thoes, Carolin Lehrieder, Laura Zimmermann and Ann Reischmann, Great Britain’s Laura Siddall, Swede Lisa Norden, and South Africa’s Magda Nieuwoudt"
Philipp is validating for Nice with two 70.3s so can afford just the one summer full distance race. Norden looks her only competition in a dull WPro list (dull cf the men! and cf 2023) - Norden is already IMWCQ.
"Magnus Ditlev, Patrick Lange, Rudy von Berg, Leon Chevalier, Daniel Bækkegård, Clement Mignon, Jan Stratmann, Kyle Smith and Pieter Heemeryck" Several of these are racing T100 (London is three weeks after Roth). Ditlev validated for Kona last year; RvB, Heemeryck, Baekkegaard and Chevalier are already IMWCQ. Maybe Mignon is not aiming for Kona. And Lange has to race Oceanside, Texas and another IM, as well as Roth, and then Kona and Taupo (but he hasn't a slot for Taupo). I suggest Lange will be unable to finish top 3 at any IM Series 70.3 so he'll have to go 'silver tier' if he wants to race Taupo: won't earn one at Oceanside for sure. What to do?
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Mar 29, 24 4:18
Quote Reply