Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Challenge Roth, new date
Quote | Reply
Moved to September 5,
Sounds like a good move at this point and good choices.

But, we have to be honest; we cannot guarantee the race will take place in September due to the constantly changing COVID situation. However, there is no risk to you in registering. We are providing you free options to postpone your starting place. Alternatively, you can also get refund on your entry fee (minus the processing fee).

Please note: For legal reasons, you must actively complete one of the three following options before 23 February 2021.

• Option 1: Would you like to be on the start line on 5 September 2021 and experience your dream of Roth?
    What do I have to do: With the link here you can register for the race on 5 September 2021 free of charge with your individual user name scottmilesand your password. There are no further costs for you. The entry is not transferable to other participants. Unfortunately, for legal reasons, we cannot simply re-register you automatically, you must do this yourself.
  • Option 2: You want to start at DATEV Challenge Roth 2022, which will take place on 3 July next year?
    What do I have to do: With this option, you can change your registration for next year for free! Click this link here and enter your individual user name and password. In the registration system, the amount of money you paid when you originally registered for July 2021 will be transferred directly to the new registration. The processing fee of 90 euros will be withheld, at the same time you will receive a registration for the race on 3 July 2022 reduced by 90 euros, so that there are no additional costs for you.
  • Option 3: You do not want to choose either of the above two options and want to cancel your DATEV Challenge Roth entry?
    What do I have to do: If you choose this option, please log in here with your user name and your password to unsubscribe from DATEV Challenge Roth. Please click "Cancel participation" in the portal. You will receive a refund of your entry fee less a processing fee of 90 euros (please note that the return of the funds can take some time).

Last edited by: Clutch Cargo: Feb 16, 21 3:40
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth, new date [Clutch Cargo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Again Challenge seem to be trying to keep the paying public up to speed and also moving quicker than IM

i know its slightly different for the IM BRAND ,but surely if challenge are moving a july race which is possibly biggest in europe then IM should grow a pair and do so sooner than later
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth, new date [stivrunning] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Challenge see their athletes as family and treat them accordingly! IM needs to listen to the frustrations of their athletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strange, I havent received any communication yet? Did you get this as an e-mail?

Anyway, it seems to be correct, according to the home page
Last edited by: markko: Feb 16, 21 8:53
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth, new date [markko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
markko wrote:
Strange, I havent received any communication yet? Did you get this as an e-mail?

Anyway, it seems to be correct, according to the home page

Sami

I got it 04:51 this morning
There will be a live talk from Felix @12:00 today
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clutch Cargo wrote:
Moved to September 5,
Weekend after Collins Cup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That must have been fun discussions for the organizers.
It moves into harvest season, which I know was a real problem for Ironman Regensburg back in the day with it's August date.
Farmers need to move stuff down roads, even on a Sunday.
It will at least be easier to get accommodation outside of peak tourist time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love the way Challenge is decisive early. Rough date for folks with 70.3 Worlds and Kona on the books, will need to make some tough choices (although who knows the fate of those two races anyway...)

-------
Anders
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth, new date [Ajax Bay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ajax Bay wrote:
Clutch Cargo wrote:
Moved to September 5,

...and only five weeks before Kona which makes me wonder why Slowtwitch hasn't gone into meltdown speculating on how the big names will manage both races so close together.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth, new date [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
Clutch Cargo wrote:
Moved to September 5,

...and only five weeks before Kona which makes me wonder why Slowtwitch hasn't gone into meltdown speculating on how the big names will manage both races so close together.

becasue felix knows if kona happens the top pros go there . if it dosnt happen and roth happens the top pros will be in roth.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth, new date [pk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pk wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
Clutch Cargo wrote:
Moved to September 5,

becasue felix knows if kona happens the top pros go there . if it dosnt happen and roth happens the top pros will be in roth.

Felix did a q&a on FB and a question was brought up about the pro field.
He made it clear this race is all about the AG people who pay to be there and he wants to deliver a great experience for them.
It will be interesting if Kona doesn’t happen and the pros head to Roth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clutch Cargo wrote:
pk wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
Ajax Bay wrote:
Clutch Cargo wrote:
Moved to September 5,

Felix did a q&a on FB and a question was brought up about the pro field.
He made it clear this race is all about the AG people who pay to be there and he wants to deliver a great experience for them.
It will be interesting if Kona doesn’t happen and the pros head to Roth.

I would think Kona has better chance in Oct than Roth in September.

• Clearly, #1 priority for Ironman. They can't lose another WC. And they can't let Challenge keep one-upping them.
  • Hawaii has already loosened up from standpoint of entry (negative test gets you in). 7 months from now, I'm guessing will be better.
  • My guess Kona participant numbers will be down as not all qualifiers can't/won't be able to travel.
  • Roth biggest race in the world... 3500 athletes, 650 relays... 7000+ volunteers, 100,000+ (?) spectators... plus, could see Germany staying more restrictive than US next fall.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Challenge in my books has been watching IM and learning lots of lessons of what not to do, and I truly hope it pays dividends for all the different Challenge races.

Hell just postponing MONTHS in advance would be a welcome shift to many IM participants because then they can plan their travel vs scrambling to make changes/cancellations.

Offering 1:1 deferrals and/or refunds is just icing on the cake.

Somewhat unrelated, at Challenge Daytona, I was sitting at a bar next Bob Babbitt and he was talking to someone about Challenge N.A. and how there was internal discussions about starting to look at the Daytona model of finding other race tracks/venues with infield water to host more races in the future due to the effects of the pandemic. He looked at 2020's race being a test for what can be done both at the AG level as well as for the pro fields and media representation.

That's some serious forward thinking on many different fashions both mid/post pandemic for both racing as well as sport growth. What is IM doing? Just hoping it all ends soon while ignoring the giant elephant in the room.

IMs cash cow are people walking up and saying "I want to do an ironman" but with the lingering pandemic how many of those one and done will be keeping that motivation to keep training. Of those bucket-listers who MAYBE had a shot of doing an additional race after the first one, how many have been left with such a nasty taste that just take their one race they paid for years ago and just walk away.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth, new date [Vetratten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He looked at 2020's race being a test for what can be done both at the AG level as well as for the pro fields and media representation.

-----

That imo is a misguided view on Daytona '20 though. Because it sold out simply because no one could race. The half went fron 419 in 2019 to 1018 in 2020.

(70.3 numbers)
2018- 494
2019- 419
2020- 1018

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth, new date [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
He looked at 2020's race being a test for what can be done both at the AG level as well as for the pro fields and media representation.

-----

That imo is a misguided view on Daytona '20 though. Because it sold out simply because no one could race. The half went fron 419 in 2019 to 1018 in 2020.

(70.3 numbers)
2018- 494
2019- 419
2020- 1018

I didn't mean as far as being a sell-out and profit reasons, I more mean as a means to race in an uncertain time and to minimize the community impact. It also was a test on how to market Triathlon to the media (i.e. using Daytona speedways media infastructre and experience to produce a media package/coverage that couldn't be matched on the road without further community involvement)

For instance the ONLY permits needed were for miles ~5 through ~55 of the bike and so considering a cutoff time the need for police and road closures was massively reduced compared to any other half ironman and maybe less invasive than some olympic distance races held on public roads.

The point wasn't that they looked at it as a model of success based on attendance but rather community involvement as well as a way to circumvent some other community issues. Considering the impact on communities both positive (cash flow) as well as negative (road closures, traffic, etc) having a minimal impact (3 or 4 hours vs 7 or 8) will build much more future buy-in from the host communities.

At the end of the day, an event that sells out at 50% with permits has a 100% more chance of happening than an event with 100% sell out but a host community that doesn't want to host it.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth, new date [Vetratten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vetratten wrote:
there was internal discussions about starting to look at the Daytona model of finding other race tracks/venues with infield water to host more races in the future due to the effects of the pandemic. He looked at 2020's race being a test for what can be done both at the AG level as well as for the pro fields and media representation.

Is this where races are going though or a solution used for a pandemic?
The racetrack venue idea is cool for a pro race spectacle and broadcasting and easy to organize, but for age groupers? I duno.

A great solution for right now might not be a great solution in general.

Maybe I actually want to race on courses with scenery instead of a concrete bowl.... but that's just me.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth, new date [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Except that the AG's only spent about 10% of the bike leg on the race track....so it's the best of both worlds. You get the AG athletes the sensation of racing on the "speedway" while also the normal run of the mill 70.3 "scenary" bike leg after that.

ETA: No race organizer that has 1k+ participants is going to put them riding in circles for 3 hours in that close of real estate.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Feb 17, 21 10:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Except that the AG's only spent about 10% of the bike leg on the race track....so it's the best of both worlds. You get the AG athletes the sensation of racing on the "speedway" while also the normal run of the mill 70.3 "scenary" bike leg after that.

ETA: No race organizer that has 1k+ participants is going to put them riding in circles for 3 hours in that close of real estate.

The Esprit Triathlon has been running 36 years. It has a half distance with 21 laps of the F1 circuit (4.3km).
https://esprittriathlon.com/location/
There used to even be a full distance IIRC.
The Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is a lot prettier (and lots of turns!) than the Daytona oval however.
I don't recall how many total participants they used to get at the height of this race.

Anyone who was thinking the whole racetrack thing is a new idea, well... no.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Except none of that contradicts what I said does it? I said there are not going to have 1k+ participants riding in circles. The half Esprit didn't even avg 400 people in the last 9 years based on sporttracks numbers. If they had 2370 in 1997 ok cool....You have pulled likely the only venue in the world like that to try and prove a point which is what we call an outlier. So my point stands, you were talking about somehow you wanting to do an course that has scenary, and I'll put any wager you want that a Challenge and IM quantity field will never ride for the entirety of the bike leg in a closed circuit.

Your initial comment seemed to suggest AG athletes don't get "scenery" on these courses. Challenge nor IM is never going to have an closed circuit for the mass AG's; that's idiotic from a safety standpoint when you are talking about being on the bike for 2-4ish hours (double that for an IM, etc).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Feb 17, 21 13:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Except none of that contradicts what I said does it? I said there are not going to have 1k+ participants riding in circles. The half Esprit didn't even avg 400 people in the last 9 years based on sporttracks numbers. If they had 2370 in 1997 ok cool....You have pulled likely the only venue in the world like that to try and prove a point which is what we call an outlier. So my point stands, you were talking about somehow you wanting to do an course that has scenary, and I'll put any wager you want that a Challenge and IM quantity field will never ride for the entirety of the bike leg in a closed circuit.

Absolutely. Just saying it has been done. I sure wouldn't want to have to remember my lap count if I had to do 42 laps. Yikes.

Also, please note the correct spelling of this word: scenery
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who gives a shit the correct spelling when you know what I'm referring too.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a reply in general, you happen to be the last post:

There are a lot of race tracks that are not ovals. Also, there are racetracks that are a lot longer than the 2.5 mile Daytona speedway. In general, these are road courses. So not always going in circles, have scenery don't have to do 42 laps for a full. ********** The key to it, though, is do they have water? *** I'm guessing Watkins Glen doesn't since they have the Fly by Night duathlon (& heck I've even been there for a NASCAR race).

Does Sonoma,CA have water? What about Road America? Or Road Atlanta? Or VIR (Virginia International Raceway)? The Formula One track in Texas?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth, new date [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No race company is going to put IM or Challenge sized AG fields in confined closed courses for the length of half and IM distances. Sprints can work because generally the timing of the AG waves means people are getting on and off the track essentially at the same time so there's not thousands of athletes all together; like there would be for an half IM distance race or IM distance race.

But to answer your question

Watkins Glen- no water on property

Sonoma- no water on property

Road America- no water on property (2 lakes within like 1 mile of venue)

Atlanta- no water on property

VIR- no water on property and in the middle of no where

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth, new date [onethinmint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good on you, and I bet you still knew what I was talking about. So if you want to be the spelling police, by all means correct me anytime you'd like. If I misspell one word in a paragraph, and you or Nordic want to make a note of it; by all means please do. I'll give you the same response I gave Nordic, I don't give 2 shits if I misspell a word on a triathlon forum when you can still clearly understand the point; thus the misspelled word basically changes nothing to the context of the point.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Feb 17, 21 14:47
Quote Reply

Prev Next