Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Challenge Penticton may be no more... [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I never had the opportunity to race IM Canada before it moved on from Penticton so I jumped at the chance to race the ITU long course champs there last month and see what the big deal was ... except it wasn't. The water was nice, the scenery was beautiful, and most of the people were friendly, but the town certainly wasn't special. In fact, having done IM Coeur d'Alene, I would say that was a better venue. All I can gather is that Penticton offers something (?) that attracts some people...but what it is I have no idea. I'm glad I went to Penticton but once was enough, thank you.

Again, let me emphasize, unless you've done the race prior to 2012, you won't relate. Like most things in life, proper assessment is all about having a holistic perspective that includes the right ingredients and having IM there at the time is one of those ingredients. I've raced IMCDA 2x. It doesn't even compare to old IMC. Even my wife (a spectator) thought CDA was a joke compared Penticton.

Anyway, that's clearly my opinion based on my experience but I honestly haven't met a single person yet who liked IMCDA more than IMC. That said, I'm certain those people exist out there. If you're more of an uptight, overly-anal type of person (plenty of triathletes are) then IMC probably wasn't for you. It was a very laid back environment. Plus, the legacy of having IM in that town for 30 years was very evident.

Thanks, Chris
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton may be no more... [re-fresh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
re-fresh wrote:
It's now officially done... https://www.castanet.net/...ge-triathlon-no-more

I like the comments at the bottom of that article...

Please NO MORE CLOSED ROADS for these annoying sports events.
WE DO NOT WANT YOU HERE
GO AWAY
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton may be no more... [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
And need to see if they will do a Multisport Legend program like Penticton did.

So if they give you a participation award you would increase your chances of going. All along I thought participation awards only mattered to Millennials.

If you think my legend belt buckle I have is only a participation award, why do you not try to race 4 events at race effort in 9 days in Denmark?

I am getting my belt for my buckle on Sat so I can wear it. What will I be called then? :)

Did you have to win the events, place well or just finish. I'm not taking away from your personal results, just curious if some-one was to finish DFL in all 4 events if they would also get one?

Again - not saying you didn't have a good week, just trying to understand the bar to get the award.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You've made my point Dave. Penticton is not special enough for you to return without meeting your unique conditions. I also like how Penticton closed the main roads, but if you read the comments by locals on the announcement about kicking out Challenge you will see that it certainly wasn't popular, and a segment of the community are tired of hosting athletic events. My wife witnessed several drivers that moved barricades and yelled obscenities at volunteers as they drove across the "closed" course in their cars.

Off topic: If it weren't for IM Norway, I would go to Denmark in a heartbeat just for the long course race. Doing just one event leaves more time for travel in a foreign country. And there are far more interesting things to see within a short driving vicinity of Odense/Fyn than there was in Penticton. You've got some time to make your decision, but I'm going to guess that in the end you will pass on the opportunity because you've already identified too many barriers (long flight, missing the neighborhood picnic, might not have legend award, Denmark might not be "nice", not sure if you can rent a bike there, etc., etc). That's perfectly fine since you apparently don't get as much out of travelling as I do ... it's your money and you need to spend it on what makes you happy!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
I also like how Penticton closed the main roads
?

I don't remember them doing that when it was Ironman. Or at least I seem to recall some white knuckle biking with big campers blasting past us at 50mph.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton may be no more... [lakerfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your response shifted the emphasis on what is special from the venue to the race it once hosted. I was impressed how Penticton memorialized the 30 year IMC history in the park with a placard laid into stone identifying the winning man and woman from every year. But without having done IMC I could only say what I thought about the town itself and CDA was a nicer town with more to do for the family. That's not anal, that's not uptight, that's just my opinion. And make no mistake, IMCDA is nowhere near the top of the list of venues I've done. IMSA, IMSUI, IMRG, IMCOZ, and IM Kalmar were all vastly better than IMCDA, and orders of magnitude more fun than Penticton. Just as your wife was suitably unimpressed with CDA, my wife rated Penticton with a "meh".
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton may be no more... [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
I also like how Penticton closed the main roads

?

I don't remember them doing that when it was Ironman. Or at least I seem to recall some white knuckle biking with big campers blasting past us at 50mph.

Only in town. There were certainly cars - and big campers too - on the roads outside of town, but in most cases one lane was reserved for the athletes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lakerfan wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
I never had the opportunity to race IM Canada before it moved on from Penticton so I jumped at the chance to race the ITU long course champs there last month and see what the big deal was ... except it wasn't. The water was nice, the scenery was beautiful, and most of the people were friendly, but the town certainly wasn't special. In fact, having done IM Coeur d'Alene, I would say that was a better venue. All I can gather is that Penticton offers something (?) that attracts some people...but what it is I have no idea. I'm glad I went to Penticton but once was enough, thank you.

Again, let me emphasize, unless you've done the race prior to 2012, you won't relate. Like most things in life, proper assessment is all about having a holistic perspective that includes the right ingredients and having IM there at the time is one of those ingredients. I've raced IMCDA 2x. It doesn't even compare to old IMC. Even my wife (a spectator) thought CDA was a joke compared Penticton.

Anyway, that's clearly my opinion based on my experience but I honestly haven't met a single person yet who liked IMCDA more than IMC. That said, I'm certain those people exist out there. If you're more of an uptight, overly-anal type of person (plenty of triathletes are) then IMC probably wasn't for you. It was a very laid back environment. Plus, the legacy of having IM in that town for 30 years was very evident.

Thanks, Chris
I liked the old (2011 and prior) bike course at CdA that went up around Hayden. IMC Penticton, in my mind, got a plus for the spectators on the final yellow lake climb, but minus for that stupid out and back section over the grooved concrete.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton may be no more... [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
B.McMaster wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
And need to see if they will do a Multisport Legend program like Penticton did.

So if they give you a participation award you would increase your chances of going. All along I thought participation awards only mattered to Millennials.

If you think my legend belt buckle I have is only a participation award, why do you not try to race 4 events at race effort in 9 days in Denmark?

I am getting my belt for my buckle on Sat so I can wear it. What will I be called then? :)

Did you have to win the events, place well or just finish. I'm not taking away from your personal results, just curious if some-one was to finish DFL in all 4 events if they would also get one?

Again - not saying you didn't have a good week, just trying to understand the bar to get the award.

If you want to look at the event from half full, technically, you just had to finish 4 events, which unless you have tried, still is not trivial, but you probably disagree.

Even so, only 19 our of 3600 athletes got Legend status.

I am proud that I qualified for all 4 events I did for TeamUSA. No open waves. I bet only a few met that criteria of the 19.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
You've made my point Dave. Penticton is not special enough for you to return without meeting your unique conditions. I also like how Penticton closed the main roads, but if you read the comments by locals on the announcement about kicking out Challenge you will see that it certainly wasn't popular, and a segment of the community are tired of hosting athletic events. My wife witnessed several drivers that moved barricades and yelled obscenities at volunteers as they drove across the "closed" course in their cars.

Off topic: If it weren't for IM Norway, I would go to Denmark in a heartbeat just for the long course race. Doing just one event leaves more time for travel in a foreign country. And there are far more interesting things to see within a short driving vicinity of Odense/Fyn than there was in Penticton. You've got some time to make your decision, but I'm going to guess that in the end you will pass on the opportunity because you've already identified too many barriers (long flight, missing the neighborhood picnic, might not have legend award, Denmark might not be "nice", not sure if you can rent a bike there, etc., etc). That's perfectly fine since you apparently don't get as much out of travelling as I do ... it's your money and you need to spend it on what makes you happy!

Yep, in any community there are always a few that are me, me, me. But when like 60% of the residents help, wow. And it brought in an amazing amount of money for the community. I know they will be trying to get it back again, and if so, I will be going.

Yep, you touched on most of the reasons I am struggling with Denmark. But the main one is what does my wife want to do, and at the moment, Denmark and Spain do not excite. She was SO excited to go to Penticton. We love Canada.

But what I want is what the wife and family wants to do. Was talking to one of my kids a few minutes ago about taking them and her comment we for that much money we could all go again to Disneyland.

Life is short. I love doing family stuff, so will see.

But yep, does not matter where a full IM is, or cost, health wise, I just know for me, not smart. I paid the price enough for the LC race at Penticton.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@h2ofun: I have only done one race in Europe (Barcelona) but I really did feel like the attitude towards cyclists is different / more positive over in Europe.

I've also raced in New Zealand and Western Australia. I'd say overall if you do decide to race on a different continent, a little advance planning makes all the difference. Arrange a storage unit for your bike somewhere near the airport after the race so you can continue the rest of your vacation unburdened. And if there's a language barrier, consider paying the premium to use one of the sports travel companies.

(and I am by no means criticizing North American races - just giving a perspective on some of the travel races I've done)

left-side driving countries still throw me off :)
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton may be no more... [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
@h2ofun: I have only done one race in Europe (Barcelona) but I really did feel like the attitude towards cyclists is different / more positive over in Europe.

I've also raced in New Zealand and Western Australia. I'd say overall if you do decide to race on a different continent, a little advance planning makes all the difference. Arrange a storage unit for your bike somewhere near the airport after the race so you can continue the rest of your vacation unburdened. And if there's a language barrier, consider paying the premium to use one of the sports travel companies.

(and I am by no means criticizing North American races - just giving a perspective on some of the travel races I've done)

left-side driving countries still throw me off :)

Makes sense.

Since my wife and I do not travel during these trips, we look at it differently than most.

I also love a place that speaks the language. Germany was tough for me. And since I am a picky eater.

I love the idea of the challenge to race 4 events again, but am a tight with money. And the thought of a 12 hours plane fight is not my favorite thing to do.
But, will see.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WIth you 100% there, dude.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
I am proud that I qualified for all 4 events I did for TeamUSA.

You should be proud. Assuming you qualify for 4 again - does not having an award take away from your accomplishment? That is the point I was making...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I liked the swim and bike course of Penticton much better than CDA, but the run course of CDA more, but my wife(doesn't race) was bored in Penticton and after two trips refused to go back- but she is always happy to go to Whistler or CDA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The old IMC was special. I spectated for over a decade, but for various reasons only competed in it once.

What always blew me away was how people were so quick to abandon the event that essentially just had a different logo on it the year after.
They loved Penticton, they loved the course...
Sure there were no Kona slots, but is that all people came for?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton may be no more... [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B.McMaster wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
I am proud that I qualified for all 4 events I did for TeamUSA.

You should be proud. Assuming you qualify for 4 again - does not having an award take away from your accomplishment? That is the point I was making...

No, but I love chasing things. I know my friend who also get Legend would have not gone to Penticton and raced if not for the legend challenge. He raced two as opens.

I have qualified for 3 already, and should get the 4th via rankings again, so that is the pull for Denmark for me. BUT, I will only do what the wife wants to do. She will go for me, but not good enough. So, it might be more trips to Disneyland on my dime. :(

Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton may be no more... [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Most people race for either Kona slots or finding a course where they can get a PB.

Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton may be no more... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

Most people race for either Kona slots or finding a course where they can get a PB.

Can one say lemmings?

But WTC does put on a show. I love doing their races

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
That's not relevant Dave. You are saying you would go back for a specific event that is not likely to return for many years if ever. The question is will you go back next year for whatever race they put on to replace Challenge Penticton? Will you go back and do Ironman Canada if it returns to Penticton?

I do not do long stuff anymore so nope, no IM's for me. Too old. (Just hope they never bring Tahoe back :) )

So does not matter if Challenge or IM. I am a short course guy!!

And, I have zero desire to go to any location to race if only one event. Way too much money and way too little racing for me.
Getting 4 races in 9 days at Penticton was the best bang for the buck possible. One plane cost. One bike transportation cost. Just a few
more days of hotel costs.

One of many reasons I had zero interest in Rotterdam. Again, all that money for a single race. No way.

Even though I am qualified for 3 races in Denmark, and hope to get a ranking spot for the LC tri for the 4th, just struggle if I want to fly that much and
be out of NA. Plan tickets are only 1K round trip so that is not bad. Seems the hotel costs would be around the same as Penticton. Just not sure yet what
that weather might be like, and is it a "nice" place to visit? Bike shipment costs will probably be nuts so renting might be a better option. And need to see if they will do a Multisport Legend program like Penticton did.

Another big positive for Penticton is the way the community closed down their main roads for the races!!!! Was total first class, and it was in the heart of the town.

except the distance of your 4 races is still probably shorter than the distance of one "our" races.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton may be no more... [ahhchon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ahhchon wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:
That's not relevant Dave. You are saying you would go back for a specific event that is not likely to return for many years if ever. The question is will you go back next year for whatever race they put on to replace Challenge Penticton? Will you go back and do Ironman Canada if it returns to Penticton?

I do not do long stuff anymore so nope, no IM's for me. Too old. (Just hope they never bring Tahoe back :) )

So does not matter if Challenge or IM. I am a short course guy!!

And, I have zero desire to go to any location to race if only one event. Way too much money and way too little racing for me.
Getting 4 races in 9 days at Penticton was the best bang for the buck possible. One plane cost. One bike transportation cost. Just a few
more days of hotel costs.

One of many reasons I had zero interest in Rotterdam. Again, all that money for a single race. No way.

Even though I am qualified for 3 races in Denmark, and hope to get a ranking spot for the LC tri for the 4th, just struggle if I want to fly that much and
be out of NA. Plan tickets are only 1K round trip so that is not bad. Seems the hotel costs would be around the same as Penticton. Just not sure yet what
that weather might be like, and is it a "nice" place to visit? Bike shipment costs will probably be nuts so renting might be a better option. And need to see if they will do a Multisport Legend program like Penticton did.

Another big positive for Penticton is the way the community closed down their main roads for the races!!!! Was total first class, and it was in the heart of the town.

except the distance of your 4 races is still probably shorter than the distance of one "our" races.

Well lets see.

Race 1 Sprint du 5K run, 20K bike, 2.5K run
Race 2 Standard du. 10K run, 40K bike, 5K run
Race 3 Aquathlon 1K swim, 5K run
Race 4 LC tri 3K swim, 120K bike, 30K run

So total around 2.75 miles swimming, 112 miles biking, 31.9 miles running.

First 3 races at short course red line speed.

So, what distances is the "our" race? :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anything to contribute to the topic, or just another h2ofun bragging fest??
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Penticton may be no more... [Jctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
Anything to contribute to the topic, or just another h2ofun bragging fest??

..no fuckin' kidding, eh?? ...but, his uhmmm 'buckle' is, in all likelihood, shinier than most... well ...95%
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given that you go on about your advanced age, I am curious about how you 'race' these 4 events in 9 days? I'm half your age and would struggle to flat out race two events 9 days apart and wouldn't dream of 3. Even after a standalone 5k, I'm not race fit for 4 or 5 days.
Participation is a different kettle of fish however....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
lakerfan wrote:
This was so damn predictable I can only laugh at those who ripped me a new one 5 years ago when I said it was a huge mistake to lose IM in Penticton.

CDA spent many of the last 10+ either struggling to sell out or selling out after 8 or so months. Penticton always sold out immediately because anyone who did that race had a very strong attachment to it. It had that sweet combination of IM branding and a very unique location that is difficult for me to explain to those who never did that race.

Sure, branding definitely makes a big difference but I've done many IMs over the past 13 years and there was something very special about Penticton. For me, the only location that came close to Penticton was Kona but that had a completely different feel about it and for very different reasons.

Thanks, Chris

I absolutely love Penticton, and would move there in a heartbeat if the US fell apart (my wife is Canadian). I did IM Canada in 2010, Ultraman Canada in 2011, and Challenge Penticton in 2014. We drove through there last year on our way to Alaska, and stayed with friends. It's not Kona (I've raced there as well), but as a race venue, it's pretty awesome.

I'm sure part of my draw to Penticton is having friends who live there. Finishing Ironman in Penticton was something special. Even the smaller Challenge event had a wonderful atmosphere coming down Main Street. I feel the same way about Taupo, New Zealand.
Quote Reply

Prev Next