Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Challenge AC Bike Course
Quote | Reply
Any ST's out there who are doing Challenge AC:
The bike course has been touted as flat and fast with a total elevation of 775ft. In terms of training here in NJ I was hoping for some input on best ways to go about it. I have done 6 long rides (4+ hours) on the trainer during this awful northeast winter and I have now done 4 90+ mile rides on 9w up to Bear Mountain and back. 9w isn't the Rockies but it isn't flat either. In terms of getting some time in on a flat course does anyone have any advice which would be better for training in the next 9 weeks or so to simulate the race course? Would it be more beneficial to stay on the trainer for some more long rides or find one of the few flat stretches on 9w and just keep repeating the area of road over and over until I hit my long ride distance? There is a stretch after the GW bridge and Strictly Cycles that is relatively flat and fast but is only 6 miles long each way. Would you train more on this area of 9w or bust out some more long rides on the trainer?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge AC Bike Course [Triharder27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i know that stretch you are talking about. even though that stretch makes sense, I cant imagine doing 8 reps. i would go crazy after the third rep. but, that stretch would be great practice for dealing with the wind on the AC expressway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Sandy Hook is a really good place to train. Pretty easy drive from North Jersey. There is an 8-mile loop that is flat and pretty nice and pretty traffic free this time of year. And there are some other good roads to explore. I know It sounds boring, but I always really loved training down there and even did 100-milers on the loop. You can use your car as an aid station also, there are no traffic lights, and there are bathrooms on the loop. It is very flat but also very challenging because half of your ride will be into a fierce headwind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where do you live in NJ? Bergen?
Best flat I can think in northern NJ is loops of the great swamp. While I'm not positive how far around it is I know it's about 20 miles from my house all the way around.
Another thought would be to try do a couple race rehearsals 6 and 3 weeks out from CAC. I wouldn't go all the way down to AC for it though. A good compromise IMHO would be to maybe drive down to around where 195 and 539 meet and take 539 south. Not too much traffic on 539. Road surface is good. Shouldn't need to come out of the aerobars much if at all. You can take that down to tuckerton and back and that is like 85-90 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge AC Bike Course [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in Hoboken. I think I am going to look into this Sandy Hook loops as well as the Swamp. I will drive wherever I have to as long as it means I can spend less time on the trainer. If either of you have possible google maps addresses I can search for directions that would be awesome but either way thank you for the advice. Looking forward to trying these spots out.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge AC Bike Course [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this great swamp loop staying on Meyersville and Long Hill Rd?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those are two of the roads.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One more pretty good option (seeing that you train at Bear Mountain) is to go to the Sterling Forest Visitor Center (right near Harriman St. Park). You can park at the visitor center and use that as an aid station and bike a 17-mile out and back on the road there. It is a quiet road and fairly flat and you can do a very nice transition run on the trail around a lake after. And if you want to add a hill, you can bike easily into Harriman from there.
Quote Reply